2003 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Elantra:

2003 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Sep 092015

The contact owned a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The brakes failed to respond and another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The vehicle spun around several times. Only the passenger side curtain air bags deployed. The contact was taken from the accident by ambulance to a nearby hospital. The contact was treated for neck and lower back pain. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Scottdale , GA, USA

Jun 102013

In the past 6 weeks, I have drove my car maybe 5 times because it has been in and out of the shop so many time for default brakes. Once it seems to be fixed, they starting smoking. So it goes back in the shop for another week. Then I get it back, and I don't have any brakes. Goes back in shop, get it back and then my calipers stick again and cause my brakes to smoke. I have not had my car for almost 2 weeks because it has been sitting on my driveway and I do not feel safe driving it, nor is it even drivable because it is probably going to set on fire. I have about $2000 dumped into this car due to default equipment on the car, which the recall people claim it has nothing to do with their campaigns, so they told me to bring it to my local Hyundai dealership and have them check it out. They found I need new brake seals, calipers on all 4 sides and new roaders (that we just replace a month ago brand new) because they are worn down so much due to the calipers sticking, locking up and smoking once a week for the past month. I work a full time job and a part time job to pay off my college loans. I cannot keep putting money into a 2003 car that I have only had for a year. It is not worth me spending another $600 to replace the brake system again for a car who has so many recalls on it, I can't count on both of my hands. Since I am a new owner, don't you think I would of received the recall notices in the mail? yeah, that has not happened. I do have a lawyer and I will not be afraid to give her a call because my car is complexly unsafe to drive and by the time I am done fixing all these problems (that are on the list of recalls) this car will be almost a $10,000 car which I only paid $5000 for.

- New Haven, VT, USA

Dec 252012

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, he experienced a complete brake failure without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that all of the brake lines were corroded and caused all the brake fluid to leak from the vehicle. There was also severe sub-frame rust. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 82,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA