1.2

2003 Hyundai Elantra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Elantra:

2003 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Sep 012014

Elantra

My daughter was driving home from school and the strut/axle broke and caused her to skid off the rode, luckily she was not injured and was able to come to a stop in an empty lot. The tire was ruined and the fender was also damaged. We were able to get this fixed at the repair shop, for just under $500, however now the vehicle will not pass inspection due to the subframe being deteriorated. Upon researching the cost to replace this, I found that the vehicle has had several recalls, and wow both of these were on the list. My concern is that the vehicle is 2003 and we are not the original owners. I am concerned now that the other recalls may also affect their vehicle. The safety of my daughter and grandson is top priority. What can you help me with. Can we still use the recall to have the vehicle repaired?

- Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Jun 092014

Elantra 4-cyl

Front passenger side control arm fractured, allowing wheel to turn 90 degrees to the right resulting in an uncontrolled slide down the highway. This also blew out the tire and separated the axle from the transmission, spilling transmission fluid. Vehicle was uncontrollable, and once stopped immovable, and so stranded in the middle of the highway.

- Middletown Springs, VT, USA