2005 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Elantra:

2005 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 092009

Elantra

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. While making a turn at 5 mph into a parking lot, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without intent. The vehicle crashed into the town building causing minor damage to the building. The front end of the vehicle sustained major damages and could not be driven away from the crash site. The airbags did not deploy at the time of impact, and the passenger of the vehicle suffered minor injuries to the shoulder. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they would investigate the accusation of unintended acceleration further. No repairs had been made. The failure and current mileages were under 33,419.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Nov 182007

Elantra

Purchased 2005 Hyundai Elantra November 14, 2007. Dealership carfax showed 40,836 odometer miles. Dealership odometer disclosure statement showed 8,494. November 18, 2007 drove I-26 in columbia, SC. Drove on emergency strip to avoid debris on road. Rear end spun out and lost control of car. Crashed into 18 wheeler and pushed across interstate, up an embankment, under a catch fence and stopped on a service road. A total loss. Not until 11/29/07 that I was made aware of a possible recall on the steering linkage tie rod assembly. Air bag did not deploy. Dmv.org report of 11/24/07 shows odometer reading 40,836 and no odometer problem title record. Carfax report stated no recalls reported. I contacted the dealerships headquarters about the odometer discrepancy. Shortly thereafter, the carfax info was changed showing odometer reading 8,584 and also they backdated information. Showed odometer discrepancy on the altered report. Just clerical errors" if we suffered a total loss, how come our air bags did not deploy? did we have a true steering linkage tie rod assembly failure? did we truly have 40,836 miles on our odometer? was scheduled maintenance up to date for 40,835 miles"

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 302009

Elantra

I drive a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. The airbag system in the car is faulty as indicated by the airbag light. The passenger side airbag system was recalled in 2005. In 2007 I took my car to fairfax Hyundai to have it repaired. After the car was repaired I noticed that the airbag light was on. At the time I did not know it indicated that the airbag system was faulty and the people at the dealership didn't mention there was a problem with it. (at that time the airbag system was still under warranty) since then I have taken my car to be safety inspected and I revisited the fairfax Hyundai dealership to have other items on my car fixed. No one mentioned it was an issue. When I went to the dealership they were sure to tell me about other (expensive) problems on the car but never said anything about the airbag light. Recently I went to have my car safety inspected again (as required by Virginia law) and the inspector has now caught the problem. I took it back to the dealership and they want 100 dollars just to look at it. The are telling me repairs could be up to 500 dollars. This is outrageous! what are my options? as I understand it, I am driving around with no airbag system. For two years I have been driving around family members, some are children, without airbags.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Mar 032008

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 35 mph, the contact's vehicle was struck on the driver's side. The impact caused the vehicle to spin around before coming to a stop. The air bags failed to deploy. The police and fire departments arrived on the scene and filed a report. Both parties were injured and transported to the hospital. The contact's nose was fractured in three places. She also sustained three broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken hip and pelvis, and a fractured ankle. The current and failure mileages were 36,000.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

May 272007

Elantra 4-cyl

My 2005 Hyundai Elantra hydroplanes even at low speeds and skids very easily on slightly wet pavement. My daughter has complained about this to me many times. Tonight she hydroplaned and went into a wooden pole. She wasn't injured and the airbag did not deploy; however, the front fender was damaged. I am going to have it fixed then see about getting rid of the car. It does not seem to be safe.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Mar 312005

Elantra 4-cyl

When passenger sits in the passenger side weighing anywhere from 100-220lbs while driving and while sitting still the passenger side air bag light will go on and off, the indicator normally states that the airbag will not deploy in the event of an accident. I read other complaints and found that there was suppose to be a recall on this model car, but I never received a notice. When I first got the car I called the dealer and they said that if the light is on then the air bag will deploy, but this contradicts what is in the manual, and what is stated from other consumer complaints. I got in a wreck about 6 months after having my car, I got hit from behind fairly hard, and the air bags did not go off, but the manual says they will not deploy in most rear end collisions, so I didn't think much of it. This makes me scared that I am going to have a loved one in the passenger seat when a wreck occurs and the air bag is going to fail.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Mar 302007

Elantra 4-cyl

After finishing driving the vehicle and removing keys from ignition the car will ding, the same ding that happens if you leave your keys in the ignition. If I exit the vehicle and try to lock the doors and arm the alarm with the remote keyless entry the car will not lock or arm the alarm, if I try to manualy use the keys to lock the vehicle it unlocks the car. The only way that I can fix this is if I turn the car back on and then turn it off. This occurs totaly randomly and occurs about once every month. It started about 6-8 months after I got the car in March 2006. Its not that big of a hassle now except sometime I might go to lock the car and think it locked when it didn't. I don't want this to be the start of a bigger electrical problem because I am also having the airbag issue that many people are having.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 282007

Elantra 4-cyl

- the contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, hatchback, 5 door, GT. There is a recall notice for the air bags. However, the contact doesn't feel safe driving the vehicle after the dealer continues to reset the air bag. The light continues to come on, and she has another appointment to reset the air bag light. The passenger front seat reads that the passenger air bag is not on. The vehicle was reprogrammed twice and the air bag light turns on and off even when there is a passenger in the seat. They may have to replace the seat. The mechanic has stated that the contact has to bring the vehicle to dealer again. Hyundai stated that the dealer and manufacturer have an agreement. This failure has occurred 15 times.

- Elkridge , MD, USA

Nov 282006

Elantra

: the contact stated the passenger air bag light illuminated indicating the air bag was inoperable. A NHTSA recall, #05V395000 was performed on the vehicle concerning, the air bag however, the recall did not remedy the problem. The vehicle had been to the dealership three times since the recall letter was received however, the problem persisted.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Aug 222006

Elantra

: the contact stated while driving 40 mph, another vehicle pulled out in front of the vehicle causing a crash. The air bags did not deploy. The driver sustained minor injuries, and a police report was taken. The vehicle was deemed totaled.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 132006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated the check engine light remains illuminated and the OCS light works intermittently. An NHTSA recall, # 05V395000 was performed on the vehicle concerning, the air bags however, the recall did not remedy the problem. The dealership would not offer a second repair without charge under the recall.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Apr 212006

Elantra 4-cyl

Air bags did not deploy and the vehicle was hit so hard that both the driver and passenger sustained injury to their chest area from the force of the seat belt strap holding them back rather than the airbags assisting in the impact. The vehicle was a determined a total loss by the insurance company.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 282006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated the air bag light is currently illuminated. A NHTSA recall, # 05V395000 was performed on the vehicle concerning, the air bags however, the recall did not remedy the problem. The dealership would not offer a second repair without charge under the recall. The vehicle has been to the dealer several times for this problem since the recall work was performed.

- Wynantskill, NY, USA

Feb 282006

Elantra

I received a notice on 2005 Hyundai Elantra having the rt front passenger air bag recalled. I contacted the dealer we bought from and took it in. They made an adjustment on the sensor on Feb 28, 2006. This did not solve the problem so I took the car back and they sent the seat to California to have the sensor issue taken care of. We still have a problem and Hyundai is aware of it and is dragging their feet deciding what they are going to do about the problem. I want it solved. I told them we are going out of town on April 1, 2006 and if the problem is not solved they need to provide us a loaner. It is now March 27, 2006 and I still don't have an answer as to what they are going to do.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Mar 062006

Elantra 4-cyl

: the contact stated while a passenger weighing 120-125 pounds is sitting in the front passenger seat, the air bag sensor is inoperative and the airbag light intermittently illuminates indicating a lack of passenger airbag protection. Although the vehicle was seen by a dealer and the problem was duplicated, the dealer determined the airbag sensor was within the manufacturer's specifications.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 172006

Elantra 4-cyl

Front/side airbag sensor/module appears to be defective. Since new occupant sensor will not reliably classify an adult sitting in the front passenger seat and most often turns airbags off or turns on and off during a trip. I have noted that this occurs with a variety of adults weighing from 100-150 lbs. I had the car into the dealer twice for reprogramming in December 2005. Problem still exists.

- West Fargo, ND, USA

Jun 132005

Elantra 4-cyl

Air bag did not deploy in high speed crash.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jan 152005

Elantra 4-cyl

Airbag light comes on intermittently, with an adult in the passenger seat. Took vehicle to dealer and was told there was nothing they could do.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 292004

Elantra 4-cyl

The passenger's air bag sensor will not engage if the weight capacity is not met, which means that the air bag will not deploy in an accident. Contacted the dealer, , and was told to buy another vehicle or sit the passenger in the back seat.

- Waldorf, MD, USA