2006 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Elantra:

2006 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 172016

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Elantra. While driving in the rain and depressing the brake pedal, the brakes failed to respond. Also, the contact heard a clunking noise when the pedal was depressed. The contact noticed that the brake light housing was melted. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V280000 (exterior lighting). The failure mileage was 163,468.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 192015

I have a bad brake switch, and noticed that the only recall is in puerto rico. I believe that this is a safety issue that Hyundai America should be recalling on all affected vehicles. I have noticed many complaints on this issue. Please review and make Hyundai fix this "safety "issue. Thank you.

- Scarborough , ME, USA

Apr 012015

Brake switch bad, no brake lights. Occasionally, it would keep the car from starting. Had to replace at my expense as Hyundai said my car was not one of the recalls for the bad brake switch.

- N Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond. The contact mentioned that a crash was prevented due to the failure. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to switch gears. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs and the wires needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 222014

Elantra 4-cyl

Upon application of brake pedal there was a loud grinding sound from the right rear. I took the car to a reputable brake service provider who informed me that the right rear brake drum could not be removed due the fact that the shoes were extended to far. There was no way to manually adjust them in as there was no access hole on the backside of the drum. They informed me that to attempt to remove them under the conditions created there would be damage or destruction of parts involved. Provider was able to visibly inspect the brake shoes and determined that there was plenty of material remaining. Why would there be no access to adjust?

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jun 022014

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving when I go to brake my brakes don't turn on. All three of them stay turned off. I was pulled over for this twice in the past year. The first time my insurance company told me that there was a recall on my car, but when I called the dealer they told me that my VIN wasn't affected in the recall. They started working again when I replaced my battery but who knows for how long. I was just pulled over again on Monday for the same thing.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 182013

Elantra 4-cyl

Brake lamps failed to work on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra. Dealer technicians identified an internal failure of the brake lamp switch which they replaced at a cost of $145. I later noticed that there was a limited recall in July 2009 at NHTSA campaign #09V280000 for 2005-2007 Elantras in puerto rico, and then in April 2013, an announcement of a pending recall of model years 2007-2013. It appears that Hyundai has determined that they no longer need to take care of the 2006 model year even though it was originally identified as early as July 2009.

- Butler, PA, USA

Aug 252013

Hyundai recently had a recall on brake light switches. Unfortunately this applies to the 2007 Elantra and I have the 2006. My brake lights were completely out. After checking the fuses and the bulbs I realized it was the recently recalled faulty brake like switch to blame. $155 later it's repaired. They really need to include other years and models on this recall, and should be paying for this repair. I have seen numerous other complaints online from other consumers with similar issues. Someone could have rear ended me and I could have died had someone not told me my brake lights were out.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

While applying the brakes, the cruise control does not disengage. I experienced this as the car "lurching" forward when braking, as the engine is trying to bring the car back up to the pre-set speed. This happened, most recently, while on the freeway in rush hour traffic. The sudden lurch was frightening since it was unexpected. The lurch almost caused me to make contact with car ahead of me. Luckily there was no accident. Even with multiple presses of the brake the cruise control did not disengage. It was only by using the hand controls was I able to turn off the cruise control. This has happened at least 2 times, but unfortunately, I cannot recreate the problem systematically.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 072013

Elantra 4-cyl

Brake lights are not illuminating all the time when brake pedal is depressed, for the past week they only work for a minute or not work at all.went 2 times to the dealer before, twice they were working when I arrived, since last week they are not working except for a minute. I have 2 months with the problem I work 7 days a week and cannot keep taking time off. I was told that my specific model year Elantra 2006 is not cover by the recall, just to inspect them cost $ 120, if a problem is found parts and labor. Hyundai doesn't accept any responsibility. The car has 50'000 miles.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 272012

Brake light switch malfunction resulted in brake light failure. Part number 93810-3K000. This part has been recalled in puerto rico only, but failure of this part may indicate a more geographically widespread problem. This vehicle was purchased in Hawaii.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 232012

Elantra 4-cyl

Cruise control failed to disengage when brake was applied. The cause was a defective stop lamp switch. Vehicle was not covered by tsb 09-01-018.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 202012

Elantra 4-cyl

Brake light switch failed and while traveling on vacation had car on cruise control and brake pedal did not deactivate the cruise control. Have not used cruise control since but brake lights still don't work and it is affecting cars remote start that the dealer installed. Car will not shut off buy depressing brake pedal. And after turning key to on position and then off and removing the key the car is still running.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Sep 052012

Elantra 4-cyl

My wife noticed her brake lights were not working. I looked into and found that there is a recall for the stop light switch for her make, model, and year. The recall is NHTSA campaign 09V122000. We contacted Hyundai customer service and gave them her VIN, and they said her vehicle had no recalls. We took her car to the local mechanic to get repaired. It turns out that it was the stop light switch that was defective and it was replaced. It cost us $70 to have fixed. The mechanic stated that he could not believe our vehicle wasn't covered under the recall because he has had alot of vehicles with that same issue. I would like this to be reviewed further and I would like Hyundai to cover our repair cost for this defective part.

- York, PA, USA

Sep 232010

Elantra 4-cyl

Brake light switch malfunction no brake lights noticed by relative...

- Raynham, MA, USA