2007 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Elantra:

2007 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jun 062016

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while attempting to merge into traffic, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle accelerated to 80 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 104,000.

- Summerville, MA, USA

Jun 232012

Elantra 4-cyl

On the morning of June 23, 2012, I was parking my 2007 Hyundai Elantra in a shopping center parking lot. I pulled into a parking space and pressed the brake pedal to stop, as usual, and felt the car slowing down at first; but then, just as I was coming to a complete stop, the engine suddenly got really loud and the car violently lurched forward very fast. It jumped over the parking stop, then collided with a 2-foot high concrete wall that was only about 18" or so past the parking stop (it was a barrier separating that parking lot from an adjacent one). Luckily for me, the air bag deployed and so I only had a few bruises. The car was declared a total loss. Even though it's too late for my car, I really wish Hyundai would do something about this problem before people get hurt. Since I was in a shopping center parking lot, if that concrete barrier had not been there to stop my car, it could have ended up much worse - I could have crashed into other vehicles or even hit a pedestrian. It really scares me when I think about what could have happened.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 172010

Hyundai didn't fully assess recall id # 09V122000 on the brake stop light. Mine has malfunctioned twice in 1.5 years, yet they are now telling me that I am not a part of the recall. This is a very serious issue that can also involve the cruise control not stopping, shifting problems, and a possible rear-end accident. This needs to be looked in to - more people than originally estimated can be at serious risk - not to mention more people are paying to having this fixed by their dealer (I.e. me) than there should be!

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Oct 272008

I rearended someone in may despite the fact that I was completely stopped. I had my foot completely depressed on the brake and stopped at a light, but still, my car hit the car infront of me with incredible force. I thought that I was hit from behind and pushed into this car but when we pulled into the parking lot, there were no scratches or anything on the back of my car. It came down to being my fault since there was no-one else and I couldn't prove that my foot was on the brake. Then, today, as I was reaching down to put my car in park, in a parking lot where I was, again, completely stopped, my car repeated the forceful thrust forward. This time there was no car infront of me, thank goodness, but my car hit and bounced off of the concrete curb in the parking lot resulting in me getting a headache from the force. Again, I was completely stopped and my car lurched forward like I was rearended. I know that the incident in may was not because I had taken my foot off the brake but that there is something wrong with my car and now that it's happened again, I know I'm right. Once, it happened to happen when I was behind a car and then today it happened when I was in a parking lot, but I'm scared of what may happen if there is someone else infront of me. I took it to the dealership but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of this faulty car, so this is my last hope of getting someone to find out what the problem is. It has only happened twice in a year and a half but I don't know when the next time will be and I don't want anyone to get hurt from it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 032007

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact had a 2007 Hyundai Elantra rental. While pulling into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact crashed into a pole and two other vehicles. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and is now in the possession of avis car rental. The current and failure mileages were 20,000. Updated 08/14/07.

- Suffern, NY, USA