2007 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Elantra:

2007 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 132010

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the engine stalled while driving 70 mph and the check engine light was illuminated. In additin, the steering would sporadically lock without warning. The vehicle was turned off momentarily and the contact was able to drive the vehicle to his place of residence. The failure was an intermittent occurrence. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Maplewoods , MN, USA

Sep 122009

When turning the steering wheel to make a turn or when backing out of a parking stall and then pulling forward you will randomly get a popping sound coming from the steering column area. You can also feel a light pop. The vehicle has been took to the dealer, for them to check but they said they could not find anything. The last time the service tech said, he did hear a small pop but it was so light he would not be able to find it. So he tighten the bolts for the steering column. However now the noise is happening more often. The problem first started when the car had about 50K miles on it. I took the car into the dealer a few times for the same problem the first time they look at it and said they could not find it. I re took the car in about a month later and this time the tech did hear it when we went for a test drive but he told me he would not be able to find it and to bring it back in later. When I did they said it would be a charge to relook at it because its been in before for the same problem. Now it have been about a year since I last took it in for this but now it is doing it more often and loader when it does do it. Also the air bags light turned on and would not reset. But after moving the steering will tilt the light then reset and stayed off.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 052010

1) events leading up to failure: I was pulling out of a level parking spot at about 2 mph when I heard a loud snap and my steering went out of control. 2) the failure: The right front tie-rod broke! the inner tie-rod end disconnected from the outer tie-rod end! the threads on both the inner and outer tie-rods were stripped and they pulled apart completely! the right front wheel was completely disconnected from the steering mechanism and was randomly floating/turning in different directions. I turned the wheels left, but that wheel was still turned right! the car was dragging that wheel around as I tried to drive forward! the tire made a terrible screeching noise. If this had happened at 70 mph (I just got off the highway) the car would have flipped end-over-end killing/injuring me and those around me! 3) what was done to correct the failure: The car is still under warranty. Hyundai replaced both the inner and outer tie-rods and did a realignment. The Hyundai dealer refused to give me the old parts.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jan 202010

About on January 20, 2010 my mother was driving her 2007 Hyundai Elantra when the power steering suddenly failed as she was backing out of a parking space. She was able, with some difficulty, to get the auto home and turn the car off. When she turned it back on the power steering worked again. She took it to her dealer, amato hyundaimazda in milwaukee, wi to get repaired. They supposedly read the code that the car's computer said explained the problem, told her they would have to order parts and made an appointment for her to return in a few days. When she got home, the service manager called and said they were not sure what was wrong with the car and he would have to drive it for a few days to try and reproduce the problem. She refused saying they already told her they knew what the problem was.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Sep 272008

I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. I've had 35 years of driving experience. I was driving on the 60 freeway on Saturday, Sept 27. As I went to change lanes, the car started to swerve left and right, as if it was losing control somehow. I tried to control it as best as I could, but my efforts were futile. I had swerved nearly 6 lanes and crashed into the center divider. Thankfully, nobody was injured. It is highly likely that there was a serious problem with the steering and brake systems, possibly a defect in the car. The car is currently totaled.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA