2009 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra:

2009 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Nov 212016

Elantra

Driving my car on the highway when out of no where my eps light came on and my steering locked up. I cannot turn the wheel and almost caused an accident. After pulling over I turned car on and off but the power steering will not return. I see that Hyundai already issued a recall for this for my car year, but my VIN wasn't included. The Hyundai dealership wants to replace the entire steering shaft and column and says that it doesn't apply to the recall.

- Germantown, MD, USA

May 012015

Elantra 4-cyl

Took car in for safety recall campaign 127 electronic power steering. Took over 1 month to get car back. The steering felt loose and worse than before. Went to 2 dealers both said steering is loose but safe. I did not feel safe. The regional manager at Hyundai said there is noting they can do about it. Updated 10/9/15 an independent mechanic stated the steering was set to race car when the electronic power steering was change due to a recall that was issued. Updated 12/28/15.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Jan 042015

Elantra 4-cyl

I was returning home one evening home about a week ago, and I was trying to parking my car in parking lot when the ESC light appeared on dash board and the steering wheel locked. I could not park the car, so I put it in park and pulled out the car manual, after reading it, I turned the ignition off and then turn it back on. The ESC light went out and the steering was back and I was then able to park the car. The next day it happened twice before I was able to get on the highway and the only way I could correct it each time was turning off the ignition. At one point someone was coming out of a parking space and I had to try and move out of the way with the steering wheel locked. I was scared and praying, that I get home safely. I took the car home and haven't driven it since. Towed car to dealer and was told it needed a new power steering column and total cost with labor and tax was over $3,000 and not covered in the power train warranty. The car is barely used how could that be? they are dealers selling lemons as new cars. This car is just over 5 years old, no one should have to pay out that type of money to replace parts so early in the life of the car. There should be a recall this is a dangerous problem and others are having the same issue with this make and model.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 052014

Elantra

While driving on a rural road at low speed, vehicle shut down without warning. Rolled to the side of the road. Restarted vehicle but had no power steering. Both ESC and eps lights were on dash display. Vehicle has remained in this condition since then.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Dec 032012

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving home from work on sun night prior to my accident went around a curve and car started loosing control was able to regain control and headed home. Next morning was driving vehicle noticed ESC light was on and would not reset even after shutting car off.driving down another road at approx. 40-45 mph went to negotiate a slight turn to the left when car started sliding out from under me tapped brakes trying to get them to grad and car under control but had no response car did a 180 and slammed in a telephone pole on passenger side vehicle seemed to hit with more force than 40 miles an hour. Thankfully I had no passenger because they may not have made it.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Dec 222010

Elantra

ESC switch failure causing brake lights to go off.

- Awef, MN, USA