CarComplaints.com Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

4.5

2010 Hyundai Elantra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 012015

Elantra

Car stalls while driving on both highway and side streets. Won't start up right away. Each time it happened it took longer and longer for it to start.

- Higganum, CT, USA

May 272015

Elantra

When turning the car off and removing keys, it doesn't turn completely off. I have to put the keys back into the ignition, turn on and remove again roughly to make the car turn off. This has been happening for a few months.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Jan 282010

Elantra

I took delivery of the brand new car & about a mile down the road I noticed prominent bounces after the car would go over bump in the road when the car was decelerating to a traffic light. I felt a total of three bounces with the first being the largest, second half of first, third half of second, & fourth couldn't be felt. It was bumper to bumper traffic & going light to light. The bumps were raise sections of the road affecting all four tires. The bumps were not potholes. I emailed my salesperson the next business day of the problem with no response. My main concern is highway driving. One stretch of highway has cement slabs in an undulating pattern that I have driven over daily for a very long time at many different speeds & in many different driving conditions. My previous car would react by rumbling up & down. That sensation was constant over the years at any speed & driving condition. Once I cleared that section of the bad highway, my car would immediately stop. The first time I went over that same stretch of highway in my new car at an est. 60-65 mph, the car begin to oscillate harmonically (bounce rhythmically) & continued to harmonically oscillate (bounce) once I cleared that bad section of the highway for an additional minute. I estimated the total time at two minutes. The harmonic oscillation felt very consistent over that two minute stretch. Once I went over another bump the oscillation went stopped. The struts are supposed to dampen the oscillations. I brought it into the service department. The mechanic test drove it & said the suspension felt firm. The suspension checked out ok (no numbers given). It has a sport tuned suspension & was suppose to do this. The mechanic didn't drive the bad section of the highway because it was too far away. I will try to resolve this matter with the Hyundai's field service engineer.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA