CarComplaints.com Notes: There's a small trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

2010 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 232015

Elantra

On July 15th I attempted to start my car and the ESC light and the electronic power steering light both came on. I was not able to steer the car. I called my mechanic and the car was taken to the shop. It was found that the computer code for the eps was not in the system. The car had not been drive for about a week. The mechanic was able to reprogram the system. The following day I again attempted to drive the car and the same lights (ESC and eps) came on. I was informed that the power steering column had to be replaced. I see no reason the power steering should need to be replaced on a car that in 5 years old and has been properly maintained.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 042015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise and the eps warning light illumianted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the lower steering coupler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V100000 (steering) but the dealer indicated that the required repair was in addition to the software update recall repair that was performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

May 282015

Elantra

Driving on the freeway I noticed that the red eps come on, at first I didnt notice anything then I made a lane change and found the steering was very difficult to control I struggled to park the car it took everything I had to turn that wheel around a corner and park it, this seems like a serious safety issue and hopefully it should prompt a Hyundai recall.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 042012

Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra had its steering lock up while driving at a low rate of speed as it was on an approach ramp preparing to merge on to wi state highway 441 in the town of menasha, wi. This caused the car to go into the guardrail since the steering would not respond. The accident occurred at noon on a clear day on dry pavement. Witnesses to the accident indicated that the steering did not respond before the vehicle crashed into the guardrail. Luckily there were no injuries to the driver other than minor bruises. No other car was involved in the accident.we filed a complaint with Hyundai after the incident but they did not come out to examine the car until after it had been repaired. Earlier this year we received a notice that this same steering defect was covered by the recall announcement. The car was repaired as part of this recall. Hyundai has continued to deny any flaw that could have caused this accident.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Apr 272015

Elantra

I noticed when tuning the steering wheel, that it felt like there was a ball rolling back and forth in the steering column and it made a strange soft "thud". I called the dealer and was told it was probably the steering column coupler going bad. I took it to my mechanic who agreed with the diagnosis and he also printed out a technical safety bulletin stating that the coupler is defective and would need to be replaced if a "thud" or "clicking noise" appeared. I was told this was not a safety issue but at the same time I received a recall letter regarding the electronic steering software. The recall states that the computer could get confused and stop the power steering which would result in the manual steering of the vehicle. Since I was out of the 50K mile warranty they would not be able to repair the steering coupler under warranty. It will cost me $260 to get that repaired. The steering software is back ordered and I won't be able to get that fixed until after May 22nd. I feel that the steering coupler issue is dangerous in that I may not be able to steer the vehicle once it finaly goes bad. I want to know if this is a safety issue.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

May 142014

Elantra

I took my 2010 Hyundai Elantra in because the eps light was on and the power steering was not functional. At that time they inspected it and also replaced the stop lamp switch from a previous recall. The power steering had gone out once prior but resolved itself and I had not brought it in. When I did bring it in on 5/ 14/14 there was no service performed to resolve the issue. I brought it in again on 6/2/14 because again the eps light was on and the power steering was non-functional. My car was only 8,000 miles outside the warranty and in spite of research on the NHTSA website I paid out of pocket for the repair which was quite costly. This is not a wear-and-tear issue it is a product defect. As evidenced by other manufacturers using the same part/technology and issuing recalls. The malfunction was intermittent and could have caused a very serious accident.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 112015

Elantra

The rims on my 5 year old car look like it was parked in the ocean they are rusting so bad and this car has never lived North of Carolina. I am afraid that this defect is going to cause my wheel to fall off one day. The steering wheel started popping or catching whenever I try to turn the vehicle to the left, but dealership tells me it is not on the recall list, so it will cost $110 just to look at the problem. The driver's side window is very hard going up or down (makes a load thud when it gets to the top or bottom) and I am afraid it is going to break the glass one of these days. The dashboard is much discolored (that started after only 2 years of owning the car). The interior door handles have the metal wrapping peeling off causing me to cut my hand when I go to open the door. I fear that my car is a "lemon" and I am very disappointed as this is my second Hyundai (bought them both brand new) and this one is a piece of junk but the dealership won't help.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Elantra

No matter moving or stopped the steering has a knock or click. Took it to the service center, the mechanic said the alignment is correct. All the front suspension is tight. The sound is from the internal power assist electric motor and this is normal!! I question this because it never did this before.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 072015

Elantra

Driving on the freeway we noticed the red eps light was illuminated. At first we didnt notice anything then we made a lane change and found the steering was very very difficult to control. When we pulled off the freeway that is when it was found that the steering had definitely gone. It took everything I had to turn that wheel around a corner and park it. This seems like a serious safety issue and hopefully it should prompt a Hyundai recall.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Aug 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my car to a doctors appointment when I was making a turn into the parking lot the steering wheel would not move and the eps light came on. I struggled to park the car and after my dr. Appointment called my husband and he drove the car to brandon Hyundai where I purchased the car they took the car in and we got a rental car. They replaced column & shaft assy-steerin 56310-2H250 and bolt-safety lock 81919-31000 qty 2 work order says found steering column shorted out replace module, test ok 731sz recall 110-31C017R0 - stop lamp switch repl installed 93810-4dr0A-qqh switch assy-brake pedal qty 1 then there was another time on December 26, 2014 my granddaughter was driving the car and making a right turn from a two lane road onto a two lane road where cars where stopped at a red light when the steering wheel would not turn and the eps light came on and she hit 2 cars that were at the light. My car had $6002.36 in damage on it. The unibody on the car had to be pulled and squared and an alignment was also done. Thank god no one was hurt but what are the chances of this happening again only worse. When it was only a little over four (4) months since it was fixed. I am afraid to drive this car. That someone may be killed.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Nov 162014

Elantra

Over the past 2 years the electric power steering (eps) on my 2010 Hyundai Elantra has failed multiple times - the power steering stops and the eps light on the dash illuminates. Luckily I was always close to home and no one was hurt. It happens under all kinds of conditions, going uphill / downhill / 50mph or 5mph / turning / driving straight - there is not a single 'road condition' or 'driving condition' that consistently triggers the failure. I reported the problem to Hyundai in connection with last year's 'stop lamp switch' recall. I had hoped the problems were related - they are not. I have taken the car to the dealer several times (rude and unhelpful is an understatement). I have had the 'stop lamp switch' replaced as part of the recall, and also the 'air bag clockspring' replaced (which I had to pay for), and the steering 're-calibrated'. since these repairs the eps has failed on a few separate occasions, and I have taken it to the mechanic twice more, and no one can figure out why the eps is just shutting down. This is a serious and potentially fatal design flaw. I would just like to know what the issue is and how to solve it. By now Hyundai has to know this widespread problem.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Apr 042014

Elantra

Like several other complaints, the eps light came on and the power steering shut down, making the car extremely difficult to control. The dealer calibrated the eps with a software update for a charge of appoximately $100. Things worked fine for a week, during which time the car was driven about 500 miles, but then the same problem reocurred. The car was out of warranty by 8,000 miles but was still within the five year warrantly time by several months. The dealer informed Hyundai of the situation, and they approved a "goodwill repair" under the warranty, which consisted of recalibrating and replacing the steering column assembly at no additional cost, which would have ordinarily had a charge of around $2,000. I have delayed reporting this for several months to be certain the repair lasted for a significant length of time. I also wanted to report, unlike most of the other complaints, a relatively satisfactory remediation of this serious problem by our dealer and Hyundai. Nevertheless this problem looks to be common enough and certainly is serious enough that it should have had an official safety recall

- Meridian, MS, USA

Oct 072014

Elantra

I had driven around 2 miles without any issue and was waiting on red traffic light before entering my apartment community. When the light turned green I noticed that eps indicator has turned on and steering wheel is jammed. Thankfully the road ahead was straight and I was able to maneuver the car safely over the curb with extreme difficulty. I tried the sequence of complete stop and start multiple times but it did not resolve the issue. I will be taking the car to the dealer for diagnosis. This is utterly unacceptable failure which has definite potential of resulting into accident.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Elantra

Eps light comes on and the power steering would shut off. This happen about four times and I able to shut the car off, restart and drive. The last time I was on the highway and it happen again. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and restarted the car. First time at the dealer, they said it was just a computer up-grade for $98. One week later it happen again. This time the dealer is telling me the steering column need to be replaced because of a senor for $2,500 plus. What's going on with this" I see on the internet I'm not the first. Why has there been no re-call if this such an issue that could result in an crash or someone getting killed. It can be a good thing if I lose steering on a highway in the middle of a rush-hour"

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

May 212014

Elantra 4-cyl

I started my car and the eps and ESC off lights were illuminated, and I had no power steering. This was the second time this had happened since I purchased my vehicle used in 2011. The first time, shutting the engine off and restarting fixed the problem. I also took the car into the dealer at the time, and they claimed that the fix was an update to the computer. The issue didn't appear again until May 2014, and this time the power steering failed to work even after multiple restarts. I took it to the dealer and they said the steering column has failed an needs to be replaced, and will cost $2100. Not only does this defective steering column that I have seen multiple citations of in this database present a potentially large expense to Hyundai owners outside of their warranty, but a serious safety issue if the steering fails while the car is in motion, as I have seen in other cases. I was lucky it was just in my driveway. I contacted Hyundai directly about this, and they couldn't care less, and most certainly wouldn't cover it as a defective part, as I am 12K miles out of my warranty. They are clearly ignoring the safety and reliability concerns of their customers. Buyer beware.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Apr 032014

Elantra

TL * the contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 15 mph, the power steering failed on the vehicle. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and veered off the roadway. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the electronic power steering software needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that all of the electronics and the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Franklin , NH, USA

Mar 312013

Elantra 4-cyl

After a routine maintenance, power steering and stability control no longer functioned. Dealer said a computer update would likely fix the problem. It did not. They said only solution is to replace whole steering column. Part alone is $2200.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 192014

Elantra

While driving approx. 30 mph the eps light went on and the power steering went off. I drove the car about a mile to the dealership, where they re-calibrated the sensor. The car operated fine for two days and then the problem occurred again, ( although it does reset when the car is restarted). I then took the car back to the dealer, where I was told the sensor needed to be replaced and that was located in the steering column. This is not covered under warranty and is rather costly to fix.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jan 112014

Elantra

My daughter was driving in a rain storm and lost her power steering. The eps (electronic power steering) light illuminated. She was lucky she didn't get into an accident. She pulled over to the shoulder, turned her car off, then started it again. The eps light went out and the power steering was again working. I performed an internet search and found numerous complaints concerning the Hyundai eps system. This is a serious safety hazard and a recall should be issued immediately to correct the problem.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Nov 192013

Elantra 4-cyl

Driving to work today the eps light came on while in the process of changing lanes. The steering wheel locked up causing the vehicle to do a bit of swerving. Managed to pull off to the side. Prior to all this, I complained about the eps as it was something that was happening before. The light would come on, the vehicle would lock up and upon turning off the ignition and restarting the vehicle, it would reset itself. I went and saw a mechanic, they alleged testing the vehicle for the eps problem however nothing came up and they refused to address that issue., I called Hyundai warranty department and filed complain since I just run out of warranty and prior to this I had my car at the dealership before and left without repairs being done due to no code showing.I was told I should get the issues fixed and hope I mid be refunded. This is a serious safety issue and a defect on their part which needs to be addressed and at the expense of Hyundai. I am filing this complaint as I expected more from them and have gotten nothing besides bills left to pay for something Hyundai knew was an on going issue with the vehicle they had been selling. With the excuse they cant work on a car unless the code is showing. Well dear Hyundai the light shuts off when U turn the car off and it is dangerous to drive to an dealership for them to lock at the issue and it is ridicules to have a run around for a well know issue on your product that can cause an accident.

- Columbia , SC, USA