CarComplaints.com Notes: There's a small trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

2010 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 102013

Elantra

Returning from South jersey with my minor son, the eps light came on while in the process of changing lanes. The steering wheel locked up causing the vehicle to do a bit of swerving. Managed to pull off to the side of the road and call for help. Prior to all this, vehicle was taken to Hyundai in paramus, NJ for a recall for some other part. At this time, I complained about the eps as it was something that was happening before. The light would come on, the vehicle would lock up and upon turning off the ignition and restarting the vehicle, it would reset itself. At Hyundai, they alleged testing the vehicle for the eps problem however nothing came up and they refused to address that issue. This time on 8/10/13, the light is now on and the vehicle will not rest itself. I tried calling Hyundai for this defect and was put on hold indefinitely. I then sent an email to them about it and they refused to respond. In my email to them, I expressed this was a serious saftey issue and a defect on their part which needs to be addressed and at the expense of Hyundai. Still no response. I am filing this complaint as I expected more from them and have gotten nothing.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA

Jun 302013

Elantra

Was driving on freeway and eps light came on and electronic steering went out. Car became impossible to turn. I was able to make it to the left shoulder of the freeway. After stopping the car and turning it back on, the vehicle operated fine until 5 months later. Then it happened again. Finally on June 30, 2013, it happened a third time. I have researched this and have found it to be a common problem and one of safety. Hyundai refused to fix it.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Nov 012012

Elantra

2010 Hyundai Elantra (rented). Consumer wanted to know were there any recalls issued related to defects in the steering, accelerator problems, suspension problems or brake problems the consumer stated he was involved in an accident, which caused him to crash. Updated 01/15/13 the consumer stated the vehicle swerved to the left, which caused him to strike a pole. The consumer then crossed the median, and struck another vehicle, ultimately, killing the other driver. Updated 01/28/13 updated 02/07/13

- Charleston, MO, USA

May 292012

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle pulled to the right while driving at any speed and the front tires wear prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer replaced the tires several times and performed an alignment, but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 21,304 and the current mileage 23,141....updated 08-03-12 updated 7/25/12 the consumer stated the dealer also recalipbrated the steering angle sensor. Updated 08/06/2012

- Gardner , MA, USA

Mar 012012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while attempting to reverse out of a parking space, it became very difficult to steer without warning. The contact stated that he was very concerned for his safety since he believed that he would not be able to control the vehicle if he was to be driving at a higher speed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 5,600.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

May 232011

Elantra 4-cyl

23 May 2011, I own a 2010 Hyundai Elantra with 14, "?" mi on it. As I was entering a curve on paved road at approximately 20 mph the electric power steering failed. I was able to maintain control using extreme effort avoiding oncoming traffic. I pulled over to the next safest area to calm down and regain my composure. The eps light was on and had no power steering. I looked under the hood for any sign of cause of failure and found nothing. Drove the car straight to the dealer and the service managers response when he tried to turn the wheel was "oh my". the dealership gave me a loaner car to drive since the Elantra was still under warranty. I called the service department on 13 June and they said they replaced a sensor and that didn't fix it and they were going to replace the steering column. 20 June 11, still waiting on repair of car. I returned the loaner because I no longer trust electric power steering no matter what anybody tells me. Yes the car is under warranty and the parts can be replaced. But, I am the sole provider for my family, I don't have a warranty nor any replacement parts and it cost a whole lot more to fix any damages to me than it does that car. Not to mention the person I met in that curve or their family.

- Nettleton, MS, USA

Apr 272011

Elantra

I was driving on the highway and was cut off by another car. I was travelling about 50mph, I proceeded to brake (did not require hard braking, because me speed was not high) and steer to the right to avoid hitting the right side of the car that cut me off. My car over compensated and proceeded to swerve. It took a lot to regain control. My initial steer to avoid the car in front was not significant enough to cause the vehicle to swerve out of control. I have never experienced this with other vehicles that I have driven and this experience was rather frightening.

- Claymont, DE, USA

May 132010

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle would pull violently to the left or right while driving. In addition, the contact stated that he would get shocked whenever he would open the doors. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure but decided to performed an alignment to temporarily remedy the problem. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 0 and the current mileage was 14,000.

- Juana Diaz , PR, USA

Jul 282010

Elantra

I bought a brand new 2010 Elantra. I soon noticed that the car was pulling to the right, and very soon it started pulling hard to the right. I took it in to have it aligned. It still pulled right but it was much better. Soon it started pulling again, this time at higher rates of speed, 65-70 mph. (before it was at slower rates of speed(25 to 45 mph?). again, I took it to be aligned at the dealership. They said they checked tire pressure, rotated tires, and checked alignment and everything checked out within spec. I drove home with an "in-spec" car that still pulled right. It eventually got worse with a harder pull to the right, so I took it to another Hyundai dealership, who checked it out and confirmed it was out of alignment. They did an alignment, and the car drove with great improvement, but it still had a slight pull to the right. I drove it for a time with the slight pull, but it gradually continued to get worse, so I took it in again to this same dealership. They again confirmed it was out of alignment, and aligned the car. I drove the car home and it still had a slight pull to the right. Two weeks later, I took the car to an outside source to have it checked out, and they confirmed that there was still a pull to the right, and that the steering was off as well. I will be making yet another appointment at the dealership where I bought the car to have it aligned. I have owned the car approximately 8 months and have had it aligned 5 times so far. Right now it pulls so hard right I have to grip the steering wheel when at highway speeds to keep car from swerving out of the lane.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 132010

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle became unstable in adverse wind conditions. The contact was not sure of what the wind speeds were that caused the problem, but the vehicle started rocking from side to side while traveling 65 mph. This had also happened when passing trucks in the opposite direction. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and after a test drive; the dealer said nothing was wrong with the vehicle. The contact feels the dealer did not have a problem because at the time the weather conditions were normal. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 12 and the current mileage was 457.

- Decatur, AL, USA