CarComplaints.com Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

7.4

$1,850.00

1. replace transmission (20 reports)
2010 Hyundai Elantra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 062015

Elantra

I am not sure that this transmission is a lemon or I have lousy luck since the warranty is with the rental place that purchased it! I know i's warranty is 10/100,00 + I'm stuck with the repair bills!!! My mechanic says this is the first this problem happens with this amount of mileage. Great to be a first .....Anyone else have similar tranny problem?

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Elantra 3.2L

We already had the tranny replaced once at 45K, now its bad again. What will happen at 120K when the warranty is no longer in effect?

- , Boulder Creek, CA, USA

Jan 102014

2nd replacement of 3 (see subsequent related complaints):

1 at 36000, this at 75,000, and most recent at 96,500 miles

Wondering if this could qualify under lemon law

Dec 012015

Elantra L 2.0L

Transmission started slipping about a month ago. Took it to a local garage and said the transmission is most likely going to have to be replaced. They were shocked to discover the automatic transmission fluid was black, even though it was flushed and replaced less than two months prior. Had it towed to Hyundai dealership, in three hours they confirmed that the tranny was shot and said it was covered, and that if I waited one more week the warranty would have expired. Although I am lucky I feel this is still ridiculous as multiple owners have confirmed how the 2010 Elantra in particular has consistent transmission failures at such low mileage. The year is problematic as previous years have little to no problems with their transmission at all!

- , Stoney Creek, ON, Canada

Sep 122013

Elantra

First time (of 3) to replace the transmission. (see subsequent complaints: this at 35000 miles, second at 75,000 miles, last at 96,500 miles)

Dec 132015

Elantra

Even the dealer admitted that this THIRD replacement is unusual. They indicated they had seen 2 transmission replacements for this model, but not a third. (Probably because after 2 replacements, most people probably traded it off!)

The 1st was replaced at 35,000 miles; 2nd at 75,000 miles, now at 99,500 miles. Which gives me the idea that I need to plan on replacing this car within the next 20,000 miles before it happens again.

Nov 252015

Elantra ES 4 cyl

Trans failure according to dealer. They used the fact that I transferred title to my daughter to decrease warranty term from 100k to 60k and denied warranty repair. As a parent gifting a car to my college graduate, Hyundai is misrepresenting their advertised warranty and not standing behind their product. This behavior by a corporation speaks volumes about the quality of product they put out. I will never do business with them again and suggest others take note of this example before purchasing one of their products

- , Columbus, MS, USA

Nov 042015

Elantra

I was surprised to need to have my transmission completely replaced after only five years. It seems like the transmission slipping has been a recurring problem with this make model and year. Even the dealership mentioned that the reason they had my part in stock because they'd been doing lots of transmission replacements.

- , Conshohocken, PA, USA

Mar 132014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

I would drive the car like normal, would shift a bit rough when I first got going but I wouldn't say problematic. Then I would go and park. If I parked for like 10 minutes, then go to drive again, it would shift to 2nd fine, but then would get to third, surge the engine and slam into 3rd (literally would throw you and make a thump sound) and then it would smoothly shift to 4th. I had issues with reverse engaging slowly and slow downshifting from 2-1.

Went to Hyundai and they said there was an internal failure at 3rd gear. The mechanic told me that there is a bulletin out for it (can't find it - different story for different day). SO...I got the transmission replaced under warranty. Now, 20,000 miles and 1 year later...the new transmission is slowly starting to have the same problem. Difference here, I am no longer under warranty, so I am going to have to go to the dealership and blow a head gasket.

I'll be damned if I have to put another transmission in this car. It's insane. It's a shame, I like the car, but this is just too much for me.

- , Carver, MA, USA

Jan 032015

Elantra

Hi all, I'm a car mechanic. I started to buy and sell cars for extra income. When I bought this 2010 Elantra at the auction I wasn't too unhappy finding out that it needs a transmission, because I know how to fixed it. It was hesitating to shift from second to third. I bought a used transmission at a junkyard comes with 3 months warranty and I swapped it and it's still doing the same thing. I called the junkyard and asked for and another one. Guess what, still doing the same thing. I get the third one and it's bad too(I really hated all those times and effort for nothing) now I decided to sell it back at the auction to get rid my head ache lol

- , Morristown, NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Elantra ES

This is the second time my transmission needs to be replaced. The first was at 56,000 miles (in a seperate complaint) and again now. They should be looking into a recall for this!

- , McCalla, AL, USA

Sep 012012

Elantra ES

It is ridiculous that a transmission would have to be replaced this soon. After researching, I have found that this seems to be a problem with this year/model car.

- , McCalla, AL, USA

Aug 212014

Elantra ES 2.0L I4

Low mileage Elantra w/68,000 miles. Had the car since 50,000 miles (2012) bought from used car lot w/100point inspection & car fax too. Few months ago the trans started to shudder on shifting to drive, checked fluid & was nice pink, not burned & level. Well it has kept doing that a few times a week, and lately it takes about 5 seconds or more to engage reverse. Also it seems to be shifting hard into 2nd or 3rd & also revs like if it dropped into neutral.

Well as of yesterday 8/21/14 we were cutting thru a neighborhood doing about 15-20mpg & the whole car shuddered(like a dup, dup, dup, dup) like it skipped gears 4 times & the engine jerked & shut off. I restarted it & it idles funny & when I put it into drive or reverse it shuts off & make a pressure type sound(like a purging of air), I noticed that when the hood was up & my wife started the car then it died upon shifting to drive. I checked the trans & oil & all fluids are fine & level-no burning either. I don't believe that I'm covered at all for any dealer warranty-I am the 2nd owner & I heard the 10yr/100k only applies to the original owner-which was Enterprise Rent-Car!!! Haven't got it checked out yet, gonna have to pay someone $100 or more just for a diagnostic, I just can't wait!!! So for now it sits & I'll pull out my old 97 Chevy Lumina for a daily driver.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Elantra GLS 2.0L V4

Was really disappointed that my 2010 Elantra had a failing transmission. Started having issues probably at about 70k or so. Started slipping a lot and jerking a lot when shifting. It even had a few times at the end where it wouldn't be in gear at all. I had it checked out and they said, yep, your transmission is failing, and I'm like you're kidding me, at 71k miles!? On a Hyundai!?

I'm so glad I purchased the extended warranty when I bought this used because they replaced it. I got a brand new transmission at 71k miles with only my $100 deductible. The bill said it would have cost me $2400 in parts and labor otherwise, whew! But still this car should not be having transmission problems until upwards of 200k miles which is really disappointing about Hyundai. I'm hoping this is the last of the big issues and that this will mean I will be able to push this thing even longer because of having a new tranny put in.

- , Schofield, WI, USA

Dec 022013

Elantra

I had to have the transmission replaced on my car at barely 20,000 miles. I bought the car new, and drive less than 6000 miles a year on average. I'm old, I listened to my husband talk about and fix every vehicle we had for 37 years, in addition to listening to my oldest son talk about vehicle mechanics for 30 years.

When the transmission started slipping, I knew that's what it was and called the dealer. They were sure it was just a minor thing - no biggie. Bring the car in - it's winter - could be the weather, etc.. Took the car in and talked to the supervisor in the shop. What did I know? It's probably something minor. I left the car. Two hours later he calls and says "uh, we have a little problem. We're going to need the car for a day or two to fix the problem, but first we need to order the part". uh huh...what part???? Uh.... the transmission! No kidding!!! I did NOT say "I told you so!"

I should have known better than to buy a Hyundai. My sister bought one years ago when they first came out, and had to replace the transmission at about 3,000 miles!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

May 282014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

Dealer got this in for replacement after first complaint. I guess others helped get this ball rolling.

- , Imperial, PA, USA

Jul 172014

Elantra

Okay, so I purchased a used 2010 Elantra May of 2013. I've had it barely over a year. While driving the car on the highway, the car starts to jerk like it wasn't in the right shift. We parked for maybe 5 minutes at a restaurant. When I started it up to leave, I put the car in reverse but nothing happened. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was the transmission and that I may need a new one. The car is under 5 years with 55,400 miles on it. It just makes the standard warranty. I am scheduled to take it to the dealership next Wednesday. Hopefully it can get taken care of.

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Jul 012014

Elantra

Automatic transmission stutters every time on the upshift from 1st to 2nd gear (at about 20 km/h) and then again from 2nd to 3rd gear (at about 40 km/h). Occasionally slips into neutral on the downshift. Started at around the 60,000 km range. A real pain in the butt and also not getting near the fuel efficiency advertised, not sure if this may be the reason.

- , Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec, canada

Jul 282014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

Took my Elantra into dealership for problems with a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. After diagnosis they tried telling me to change the fluid (and they claimed Hyundai says every 30K, which is a lie) and see if that helps. I point out the lies they tell and after "checking" further, I am informed they are ordering me a new transmission for an internal component they can't fix. How confident am I that the new one won't fail in another 40-50K miles??? NOT VERY!

Update from Aug 1, 2014: Took my Elantra into dealership for problems with a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. After diagnosis they tried telling me to change the fluid (and they claimed Hyundai says every 30K, which is a lie) and see if that helps. I point out the lies they tell and after "checking" further, I am informed they are ordering me a new transmission for an internal component they can't fix. This issue is bad enough that a car with 51,000 miles needs a new transmission, but than the dealership I dealt with trying to lie and get out of warranty work. So now I wait until the new one comes in...meanwhile the transmission seems to have worsened since in their hands. Intend to find out about getting a loaner sooner than when the new tranny comes in. What an annoying pain to have to put up with. How confident am I that the new one won't fail in another 40-50K miles??? NOT VERY! This experience (and previous with this dealership) has led us to not be in the market for another Hyundai when the time comes to purchase another vehicle. When you buy a car with a warranty and do the maintenance spelled out in the manual, and something goes wrong, that shouldn't, you expect no issues with the warranty.

- , Stroudsburg, Monroe, USA

Oct 012013

Elantra

When driving at highway speeds, the transmission slips out of gear and the RPMs go sky high and the car runs like it is in neutral. I have to tap the brake before it will adjust and go back into gear. This seems to be a bigger problem when carrying passengers. The added weight appears to be a factor. It's rather dangerous since it can happen at any time without notice and happened just this past weekend when driving in MPLS in heavy traffic.

I first registered this problem in the back of my mind at least a year ago, but not knowing a lot about cars, I didn't think to report it. The car is just beyond the warranty stage and I am hoping there is something the dealer can do to help me out. I love this car and am devastated to be experiencing such a serious problem.

- , Bloomer, WI, USA