CarComplaints.com Notes: There's a small trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

6.8

1. replace transmission (8 reports)
2010 Hyundai Elantra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Dec 022013

Elantra

I had to have the transmission replaced on my car at barely 20,000 miles. I bought the car new, and drive less than 6000 miles a year on average. I'm old, I listened to my husband talk about and fix every vehicle we had for 37 years, in addition to listening to my oldest son talk about vehicle mechanics for 30 years.

When the transmission started slipping, I knew that's what it was and called the dealer. They were sure it was just a minor thing - no biggie. Bring the car in - it's winter - could be the weather, etc.. Took the car in and talked to the supervisor in the shop. What did I know? It's probably something minor. I left the car. Two hours later he calls and says "uh, we have a little problem. We're going to need the car for a day or two to fix the problem, but first we need to order the part". uh huh...what part???? Uh.... the transmission! No kidding!!! I did NOT say "I told you so!"

I should have known better than to buy a Hyundai. My sister bought one years ago when they first came out, and had to replace the transmission at about 3,000 miles!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

May 282014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

Dealer got this in for replacement after first complaint. I guess others helped get this ball rolling.

- , Imperial, PA, USA

Jul 172014

Elantra

Okay, so I purchased a used 2010 Elantra May of 2013. I've had it barely over a year. While driving the car on the highway, the car starts to jerk like it wasn't in the right shift. We parked for maybe 5 minutes at a restaurant. When I started it up to leave, I put the car in reverse but nothing happened. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was the transmission and that I may need a new one. The car is under 5 years with 55,400 miles on it. It just makes the standard warranty. I am scheduled to take it to the dealership next Wednesday. Hopefully it can get taken care of.

- , Sumter, South Carolina, USA

Jul 012014

Elantra

Automatic transmission stutters every time on the upshift from 1st to 2nd gear (at about 20 km/h) and then again from 2nd to 3rd gear (at about 40 km/h). Occasionally slips into neutral on the downshift. Started at around the 60,000 km range. A real pain in the butt and also not getting near the fuel efficiency advertised, not sure if this may be the reason.

- , Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec, canada

Jul 282014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

Took my Elantra into dealership for problems with a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. After diagnosis they tried telling me to change the fluid (and they claimed Hyundai says every 30K, which is a lie) and see if that helps. I point out the lies they tell and after "checking" further, I am informed they are ordering me a new transmission for an internal component they can't fix. How confident am I that the new one won't fail in another 40-50K miles??? NOT VERY!

Update from Aug 1, 2014: Took my Elantra into dealership for problems with a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. After diagnosis they tried telling me to change the fluid (and they claimed Hyundai says every 30K, which is a lie) and see if that helps. I point out the lies they tell and after "checking" further, I am informed they are ordering me a new transmission for an internal component they can't fix. This issue is bad enough that a car with 51,000 miles needs a new transmission, but than the dealership I dealt with trying to lie and get out of warranty work. So now I wait until the new one comes in...meanwhile the transmission seems to have worsened since in their hands. Intend to find out about getting a loaner sooner than when the new tranny comes in. What an annoying pain to have to put up with. How confident am I that the new one won't fail in another 40-50K miles??? NOT VERY! This experience (and previous with this dealership) has led us to not be in the market for another Hyundai when the time comes to purchase another vehicle. When you buy a car with a warranty and do the maintenance spelled out in the manual, and something goes wrong, that shouldn't, you expect no issues with the warranty.

- , Stroudsburg, Monroe, USA

Oct 012013

Elantra

When driving at highway speeds, the transmission slips out of gear and the RPMs go sky high and the car runs like it is in neutral. I have to tap the brake before it will adjust and go back into gear. This seems to be a bigger problem when carrying passengers. The added weight appears to be a factor. It's rather dangerous since it can happen at any time without notice and happened just this past weekend when driving in MPLS in heavy traffic.

I first registered this problem in the back of my mind at least a year ago, but not knowing a lot about cars, I didn't think to report it. The car is just beyond the warranty stage and I am hoping there is something the dealer can do to help me out. I love this car and am devastated to be experiencing such a serious problem.

- , Bloomer, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Elantra GLS 2.0L 4 cyl

My 2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS needed to have the transmission replaced at 52,000 Mi. I noticed it had issues shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (it would either drag into gear, or slam into gear)

Dealer fixed it under warranty in three days and provided me with a rental car. Still, I am a bit concerned for the long term health of the car. I had hoped to keep the car for 10 years...we'll see.

- , Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Dec 162013

Elantra

I bought this car on Sunday, did the standard drive around the block test drive. But as soon as I got if off the lot (Dealer) felt a shudder when decelerating from over 40 MPH. Definitely not down shifting properly.

Took it in and was told that I need a new transmission. That was Wednesday.

Very disappointing since I bought this "Certified Pre-Owned" apparently the transmission is not on the 130+ point check list.

But it is still under the 10 yr/1000 mile warranty and is being repaired on the dealer's dime.

It takes the excitement right out of getting a new car. :/

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Elantra GLS 2.0L

They claim there is an internal sensor failing. Hyundai told me they will swap the Transmission.They do not rebuild them.

- , Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Aug 172012

Elantra EX

I felt transmission slipping and jerking. I took the car to the dealer that stated that the car was fine and didn't have any codes. I continued to drive the car with some issues of the transmission jerking at high speeds.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 132013

Elantra

I am hyundai elantra driver. Car is good except sometimes during drive, when gear changes from 2nd to 3rd, I feel a jerk like it is slipping the transmission, though I am not sure. It is not because I haven't gone for an oil change. It happens even after the oil change. Went to dealer and he didn't feel anything. Okay, it doesn't happen every time but it happens quite often. Maybe I'm wrong but I also drive a honda civic and that has smooth transmission.

- , Verona, NJ, USA

Jun 212012

Elantra

Transmission started slipping at 23,000. The car would roll forward when shifting into reverse and take five seconds to engage the gear. I took the car to the dealer and they confirmed the car needs a new transmission.

- , Waterford, Wisconsin, USA

Nov 152012

Elantra

You don't expect a new car with 26,000 miles to need a new transmission. So much for Hyundai's Quality reputation.

- , Pascoag, RI, USA