CarComplaints.com Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

7.4

$1,850.00

1. replace transmission (23 reports)
2010 Hyundai Elantra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 132013

Elantra

DEALER REPLACED TRANSMISSION AND NOW I HAVE 54000 MILES ON THE CAR AND HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION AGAIN.

- , Essex, MD, USA

Feb 292016

Elantra

I have read the other complaints about the Elantra and I have slippage on 3rd gear. The beginning price to just repair the transmission not replacing it is $1400.00 to replace seals. My Toyota I bought in 2006 is still working without any problems except for replacing the alt, a pulley and a couple of batteries.

I was going to buy another Hyundai but after talking with a couple of sales folk at the dealership, they say it is the 100,000 mile transmission problem. Sounds like the Hyundai is screwing over the customers forcing them to purchase another car. Even though I really like the car...NO flippen way am I going to waste my money on another Hyundai is a Korean manufactured car in which I have owned a Korean car once before and it was a big piece of crap after 75000.

I am putting the word out not to buy Hyundai, I have lived in Korea and I know how the companies work on screwing over the customer . They take too many short cuts in manufacturing the car. Just look at the other complaints! I don't know what other car I will buy but it might be another Toyota or Nissan. Oh ya by the way their 100,000 warranty is worthless the normal warranty doesn't cover the engine or training.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 092016

Elantra GLS 2.0L

I bought my 2010 Hyundai Elantra on C.L not knowing that the transmission was slipping on 3rd and 4th. The reason I didn't detect it was because on a cold start for the first few minutes the slipping is very subtle. Strangely, after it warms up it gets worse and much more annoying.

I had the transmission filter and fluid completely changed on the car and 200 miles later it is still doing the same thing. This is VERY frustrating. Hyundai really needs to address this issue because it seems to be very common.

- , Grandview, MO, USA

Aug 012015

Elantra GLS 2.4L

Overall good car but when the transmission started to slip under 100k miles I knew I would have issues. Bought this car used, the 10y/100k warranty DOES NOT transfer unless you buy extended warranty which I didn't. The issue started when the car would change gears around 25mph then a few months later around 40mph then a few months later at 60mph. It was at the point where it would slam into gear or rev way up before it could change. Getting on the highway and not being able to accelerate correctly was a serious problem. when the car was warm (as in warmed up, time of year didn't matter) the issue was very bad. Basically I drove to a dealership on a really cold day, sat and let the engine cool then traded it in not saying anything about the transmission. My mechanic told me it would ~$2,000 for the transmission, plus timing belt $500 and brakes were on the fritz another $500 so it wasn't worth keeping.

If you buy this car used make sure you have warranty because there is a very good chance the tran will go under 100k miles, just look around the internet for a few minutes and you'll see im not the only one who had this issue

- , Gr, USA

Aug 062015

Elantra

I am not sure that this transmission is a lemon or I have lousy luck since the warranty is with the rental place that purchased it! I know i's warranty is 10/100,00 + I'm stuck with the repair bills!!! My mechanic says this is the first this problem happens with this amount of mileage. Great to be a first .....Anyone else have similar tranny problem?

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Elantra 3.2L

We already had the tranny replaced once at 45K, now its bad again. What will happen at 120K when the warranty is no longer in effect?

- , Boulder Creek, CA, USA

Jan 102014

2nd replacement of 3 (see subsequent related complaints):

1 at 36000, this at 75,000, and most recent at 96,500 miles

Wondering if this could qualify under lemon law

Dec 012015

Elantra L 2.0L

Transmission started slipping about a month ago. Took it to a local garage and said the transmission is most likely going to have to be replaced. They were shocked to discover the automatic transmission fluid was black, even though it was flushed and replaced less than two months prior. Had it towed to Hyundai dealership, in three hours they confirmed that the tranny was shot and said it was covered, and that if I waited one more week the warranty would have expired. Although I am lucky I feel this is still ridiculous as multiple owners have confirmed how the 2010 Elantra in particular has consistent transmission failures at such low mileage. The year is problematic as previous years have little to no problems with their transmission at all!

- , Stoney Creek, ON, Canada

Sep 122013

Elantra

First time (of 3) to replace the transmission. (see subsequent complaints: this at 35000 miles, second at 75,000 miles, last at 96,500 miles)

Dec 132015

Elantra

Even the dealer admitted that this THIRD replacement is unusual. They indicated they had seen 2 transmission replacements for this model, but not a third. (Probably because after 2 replacements, most people probably traded it off!)

The 1st was replaced at 35,000 miles; 2nd at 75,000 miles, now at 99,500 miles. Which gives me the idea that I need to plan on replacing this car within the next 20,000 miles before it happens again.

Nov 252015

Elantra ES 4 cyl

Trans failure according to dealer. They used the fact that I transferred title to my daughter to decrease warranty term from 100k to 60k and denied warranty repair. As a parent gifting a car to my college graduate, Hyundai is misrepresenting their advertised warranty and not standing behind their product. This behavior by a corporation speaks volumes about the quality of product they put out. I will never do business with them again and suggest others take note of this example before purchasing one of their products

- , Columbus, MS, USA

Nov 042015

Elantra

I was surprised to need to have my transmission completely replaced after only five years. It seems like the transmission slipping has been a recurring problem with this make model and year. Even the dealership mentioned that the reason they had my part in stock because they'd been doing lots of transmission replacements.

- , Conshohocken, PA, USA

Mar 132014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

I would drive the car like normal, would shift a bit rough when I first got going but I wouldn't say problematic. Then I would go and park. If I parked for like 10 minutes, then go to drive again, it would shift to 2nd fine, but then would get to third, surge the engine and slam into 3rd (literally would throw you and make a thump sound) and then it would smoothly shift to 4th. I had issues with reverse engaging slowly and slow downshifting from 2-1.

Went to Hyundai and they said there was an internal failure at 3rd gear. The mechanic told me that there is a bulletin out for it (can't find it - different story for different day). SO...I got the transmission replaced under warranty. Now, 20,000 miles and 1 year later...the new transmission is slowly starting to have the same problem. Difference here, I am no longer under warranty, so I am going to have to go to the dealership and blow a head gasket.

I'll be damned if I have to put another transmission in this car. It's insane. It's a shame, I like the car, but this is just too much for me.

- , Carver, MA, USA

Jan 032015

Elantra

Hi all, I'm a car mechanic. I started to buy and sell cars for extra income. When I bought this 2010 Elantra at the auction I wasn't too unhappy finding out that it needs a transmission, because I know how to fixed it. It was hesitating to shift from second to third. I bought a used transmission at a junkyard comes with 3 months warranty and I swapped it and it's still doing the same thing. I called the junkyard and asked for and another one. Guess what, still doing the same thing. I get the third one and it's bad too(I really hated all those times and effort for nothing) now I decided to sell it back at the auction to get rid my head ache lol

- , Morristown, NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Elantra ES

This is the second time my transmission needs to be replaced. The first was at 56,000 miles (in a seperate complaint) and again now. They should be looking into a recall for this!

- , McCalla, AL, USA

Sep 012012

Elantra ES

It is ridiculous that a transmission would have to be replaced this soon. After researching, I have found that this seems to be a problem with this year/model car.

- , McCalla, AL, USA

Aug 212014

Elantra ES 2.0L I4

Low mileage Elantra w/68,000 miles. Had the car since 50,000 miles (2012) bought from used car lot w/100point inspection & car fax too. Few months ago the trans started to shudder on shifting to drive, checked fluid & was nice pink, not burned & level. Well it has kept doing that a few times a week, and lately it takes about 5 seconds or more to engage reverse. Also it seems to be shifting hard into 2nd or 3rd & also revs like if it dropped into neutral.

Well as of yesterday 8/21/14 we were cutting thru a neighborhood doing about 15-20mpg & the whole car shuddered(like a dup, dup, dup, dup) like it skipped gears 4 times & the engine jerked & shut off. I restarted it & it idles funny & when I put it into drive or reverse it shuts off & make a pressure type sound(like a purging of air), I noticed that when the hood was up & my wife started the car then it died upon shifting to drive. I checked the trans & oil & all fluids are fine & level-no burning either. I don't believe that I'm covered at all for any dealer warranty-I am the 2nd owner & I heard the 10yr/100k only applies to the original owner-which was Enterprise Rent-Car!!! Haven't got it checked out yet, gonna have to pay someone $100 or more just for a diagnostic, I just can't wait!!! So for now it sits & I'll pull out my old 97 Chevy Lumina for a daily driver.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Elantra GLS 2.0L V4

Was really disappointed that my 2010 Elantra had a failing transmission. Started having issues probably at about 70k or so. Started slipping a lot and jerking a lot when shifting. It even had a few times at the end where it wouldn't be in gear at all. I had it checked out and they said, yep, your transmission is failing, and I'm like you're kidding me, at 71k miles!? On a Hyundai!?

I'm so glad I purchased the extended warranty when I bought this used because they replaced it. I got a brand new transmission at 71k miles with only my $100 deductible. The bill said it would have cost me $2400 in parts and labor otherwise, whew! But still this car should not be having transmission problems until upwards of 200k miles which is really disappointing about Hyundai. I'm hoping this is the last of the big issues and that this will mean I will be able to push this thing even longer because of having a new tranny put in.

- , Schofield, WI, USA

Dec 022013

Elantra

I had to have the transmission replaced on my car at barely 20,000 miles. I bought the car new, and drive less than 6000 miles a year on average. I'm old, I listened to my husband talk about and fix every vehicle we had for 37 years, in addition to listening to my oldest son talk about vehicle mechanics for 30 years.

When the transmission started slipping, I knew that's what it was and called the dealer. They were sure it was just a minor thing - no biggie. Bring the car in - it's winter - could be the weather, etc.. Took the car in and talked to the supervisor in the shop. What did I know? It's probably something minor. I left the car. Two hours later he calls and says "uh, we have a little problem. We're going to need the car for a day or two to fix the problem, but first we need to order the part". uh huh...what part???? Uh.... the transmission! No kidding!!! I did NOT say "I told you so!"

I should have known better than to buy a Hyundai. My sister bought one years ago when they first came out, and had to replace the transmission at about 3,000 miles!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

May 282014

Elantra GLS 2.0L

Dealer got this in for replacement after first complaint. I guess others helped get this ball rolling.

- , Imperial, PA, USA