CarComplaints.com Notes: So far the 2011 Elantra doesn't have the same volume of transmission problems that 2010 owners are fighting with. It also doesn't have the same pattern of steering and braking complaints that are piling up with the 2013 model year.

We're not saying the 2011 is perfect -- I mean, what were they thinking advertising their MPGs -- but there are worse choices.

2011 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Elantra:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

May 022015

Elantra

When driving it is difficult at time to regulate my speed. If I stop at a red light and then try to drive on a green light my car will jolt forward. It is hard to speed up, it feels like my car is stuck in on speed. It makes it difficult to drive on the freeway as it is slow to pick up speed.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jul 102013

Elantra 4-cyl

Driving home from work on narrow 2 lane road.,my car suddenly accelerated and shot across the opposite side of oncoming lane..thankfully no car was coming toward me.at the time. I managed to get it under control, but was terrified thinking what if a car had been coming up toward me. This happened sometime in summer of 2013. I thought maybe it was just a fluke until today when I was reading about Chrysler autos having sudden acceleration problems. I decided to check to see if any Hyundai cars had the same problem. I was surprised to see that indeed there had been a case reported. Now, I am very uneasy driving my car, and especially since my 19 yr old also drives it. I have not seen any recall to have this issue fixed. I have also email the Hyundai Corp. To inform them also of my experience. I certainly do not want to die or have any one else killed because of this. Would like to see Hyundai recall these cars to fix the problem.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Aug 182014

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle on the freeway traveling at speeds of about 60 mph, my tire pressure light came on, although all 4 tires were previously checked for pressure. When the tire pressure light came on, it triggered the traction control light to begin blinking uncontrollably. The engine then began to clicked loudly as my speed decreased, out of my control, to about 40 mph, although I had my petal to the floor. I then had to exit, taking local roadways as to my speed would not increase past 40 mph with my RPM was at about 4.5. after notifying the dealership and taking it in to be serviced, I was informed nothing was wrong but reset the computer just in case. Since then it has happened 3 other times with no explanation and diagnostic coming back clear.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

As I was driving the skid control light came on. At first, nothing was different, then all of a sudden my car started slowing down and would accelerate with gas being applied. Then, it started moving again. After a while the light went off, but then came on and did the same thing.

- Irving, TX, USA

Aug 052013

Elantra 4-cyl

The car pulls to the left/right. The steering wheel is sticky.when the wheel is left straight, it will go straight but a small turn to left/right results in very jerky and unsafe ride for higher mileage speed. It is incredibly difficult to drive for longer period of time and on icy roads due to driving behavior. Hyundai says it is because of the electronic power steering. I don't care if it is that. It jerks to left/right while driving which is painful. I have changed tires and brakes thinking those were the culprit. This needs to be fixed before someone gets in a wreck and die.

- Alexander, AR, USA

Apr 112013

Elantra

I was driving my Elantra when the ems elec. Stability control light came on and the auto began to shake as I was driving. The road was dry and weather was regular. It feels as if the auto is driving on flat wheels or on ice. I lose stability in my steering. I have taken my auto to Hyundai twice. They claim they there computers can't find any errors. This is an issue that randomly occur and can't be created at will. I don't feel safe driving while these incidents happen. I've found similar complaints of this issue online with other Elantra 2011 customer. Hyundai doesn't want to acknowledge that there is an issue with the electronic stability control and steering.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Sep 012012

Elantra

Safety issue driver floor mat keeps getting entangled with gas and brake pedals. The hooks design by Hyundai for there 2011 sonata fails to keep them in place. *updated 12-20-12 smch

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Aug 082012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the vehicle suddenly acclerated and crashed into a light pole. The contact was severely injured. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 192012

Elantra 4-cyl

I was turning from gas station onto road, crossing 3 lanes of traffic when vehicle stalled in the middle of the road and I was nearly broad-sided. All dash lights came on, and ac and radio were on, but engine had stalled. After calling Hyundai usa I took vehicle to dealership, reported as stalling at low speed and rough idle. Hyundai usa representative said no problems like this reported. Also service adviser reported never hearing of the problem when took into dealership, despite numerous reports I had printed off the internet. In fact said "we don't acknowledge internet reports as being valid".

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 282011

Elantra

Sudden acceleration while perpendicular parking.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA