CarComplaints.com Notes: So far the 2011 Elantra doesn't have the same volume of transmission problems that 2010 owners are fighting with. It also doesn't have the same pattern of steering and braking complaints that are piling up with the 2013 model year.

We're not saying the 2011 is perfect -- I mean, what were they thinking advertising their MPGs -- but there are worse choices.

2011 Hyundai Elantra wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Elantra:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

May 192016

Elantra

I found a flat tire on my front right tire yesterday as it was sitting stationary in my work parking lot. (19may2016). Upon further inspection it was found that my wheel/rim was cracked and dented. I did not hit a pothole, run off the road, have a wreck, etc.. so there is no reason it should have happened.

- Casar, NC, USA

Jan 132016

Elantra

This is the second set of brand new tires (michelins) that has failed in less than 25K miles on the 17" rims this car came with. Every small pothole is felt so strongly, the wipers go on and the glove box pops open. There is very little rubber bet. The rim and the road. We don't want to end up dead in a ditch when one of these tires blows out. As noted on the Hyundai blogs, this is a common problem with this model and folks are just waiting for a class action or recall action to happen. Hopefully this will happen before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Carrboro, NC, USA

Feb 012012

Elantra 4-cyl

On numerous occasions the tires blow out or get a large bulge in the sidewall. And the rims also bend. The littlest pothole or bump will cause this to happen. This is because of a poor design by Hyundai. These low profile wheels and tires don't belong on this car as the suspension is way too stiff for these wheels and tires. It doesn't matter what brand of tire I put on the car the same thing still keeps happening.,blow out after blowout.this is a huge safety concern. Someone could get killed from these tires so easily blowing out. Something has to be done. Please help me with my problem. The problem is the 17 inch alloy wheel with the low-profile tire not having much cushion between the road and the rim and the really stiff suspension.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Apr 022012

Elantra 4-cyl

Three separate incidents over three years beginning in 2012 and continuing to 2015. Two cracked rims, three sidewall bulges, resulting in two tire blow-outs and one almost-ready-to-blow. Car has low-profile tires, which combined with Hyundai stiff front suspension renders car unable to handle any kind of rough roads or potholes. Extremely dangerous.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 092014

Elantra

My tires have developed bulges after only 24000 miles of use. I have the following, original tires: P214/45R17 my tires have significant and dangerous bulges, which can lead to dangerous driving and blow outs. If this is characteristic of all tires in the set, I'd like to be reimbursed for a set of tires that do this, their installation, and the decreased fuel efficiency that will come from having smaller tires. I imagine all three would presently (2014) amount to about $2500. Here is a url with a discussion of the complaint:
www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T35968_ds499866?actionmessages=your+answer+has+been+posted.

- Kew Gardens, NY, USA

Mar 072014

Elantra

On March 07, 2014, my Hyundai Elantra was hit on the passenger side by a large Jeep. We took our 17 year old grandson to the hospital to be checked out because of a headache but other than that there were no injuries. My vehicle was taken to a repair shop and now to a Hyundai dealership. My concern is; there have been two (2) front axles put in my car and neither worked. The dealership said they were defective. They ordered a third (3) one and it was defective. They did not install it. Now they have ordered the fourth (4) axle to install, if it isn't defective. In the meantime I have been without a vehicle for almost 3 months. I do not trust luck for another defective front axle.

- Mead, OK, USA

Apr 102014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that he had to replace all four tires every 15,000 miles. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the wheels were too large for the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted about this issue. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

Have had several issues with tire wear on the 17 inch tire provided with the 2011 Elantra limited. Every other tire set I have purchased for other vehicles would last 40-50K miles or more, but with this car, I was only getting ~25K miles per set. I was on my third set of tires(not discount tires, three different brands as well) with only ~78K miles when the rear passenger tire had a sidewall blowout. I was fortunate to have purchased a spare (the dealer lied and told me it had a spare when I purchased the car). However, I was traveling out of town with family and this caused several hours of delay as I had to find another tire place to purchase a new tire for the long trip. I was also fortunate that the blowout occurred while getting onto the highway, so my vehicle speed was not high and I was able to pull off the road.

- Wells, ME, USA

Nov 222013

Elantra

In late November the tire pressure indicator came on. I pumped up the tire. It came back on again several days later. The car has Michelin all season radials that I had installed in February of this year. I assumed that I had picked up a nail or something similar, so I took the car back to sam's club to have the tire repaired. I was told they had bad news and bad news. The worst was that they could nor repair it, because the rim is cracked! they showed the wheel to me. The crack is on the inside rim and there is no other evidence of damage. I have experience with failure analysis. This appears to be a stress facture, possibly the result of a materials defect or a design flaw. (this is a extremely low profile 17' wheel/tire combination.) other bad news? no spare.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 162013

Elantra 4-cyl

Damaged a tire and found no spare tire in trunk!

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 092011

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the flat tire repair kit that consisted of fix-A-flat and an air compressor failed to remedy a flat tire. The contact believed the flat tier repair kit was a hazard since the vehicle did not come equipped with a spare tire. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 18,000.

- Dingsman Ferry , PA, USA

May 012011

Elantra

On this 2011 Hyundai Elantra touring, the left (driver's side) front tire developed a bubble after only 2240 miles. The tire was a kumho solus KH16 215/45/17. The Hyundai dealer advised me that the tire warranty was directly with kumho, not with the dealer or Hyundai. Representatives of two kumho tire dealers (discount tire and sears) said any bubbles were the result of impact, such as with a pothole, and the kumho warranty excluded road hazards. Both refused to inspect the tire closely when I said there had been no impact that could have produced such a bubble. The kumho customer service contact failed to return my call.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA