CarComplaints.com Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012012

Elantra 4-cyl

Almost every time I have started the vehicle and placed in drive from reversing out of my driveway, the vehicle jolts and seems that transmission is lagging or changing gears abruptly. The service engine light went on and I had made an appointment. When I took it in for inspection, the dealer said they could not recreate what I was talking describing. In addition, when I drive the power steering has had some issues. It has never drove in a straight line after two alignments. And it can be tough to turn the wheel. When I contacted the dealer about how I hear a clunking sound when driving over bumps, he test drove it and was confirmed that he agrees that there is clunking noise, but said he cant pinpoint it and it will have to get worse before he could tell.

- Midway, GA, USA

Aug 212012

Elantra

When I accelerate and every time the gear changes, the car would jolt as if I went over a speed bump. It's really uncomfortable when the car jolts while I accelerate, but the real problem is when I'm applying the brakes. The car would jolt and the speed would increase which nearly caused several accidents. I currently have about 13,000 miles and purchased this vehicle about 1.5 years ago. Within that time, the ignition wouldn't start. I would ignite the car and the car would eventually die on me. People said it might be the spark plugs, transmission or even the battery. However, it didn't make sense because the car was purchased only a couple of months before that incident. I never even wasted my battery in any way either. What if the car decides to turn off while I'm on the freeway? I can't afford that to happen.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 102012

Elantra 4-cyl Diesel

Several times a day when going to crank the car it would crank. Also you could not shift the car from park to drive. (throttle plate stuck).

- Callahan, FL, USA

Jun 172012

Elantra 4-cyl

Car lurched, engine shut off. Car became uncontrollable and all the warning lights on the dash lit up. Eventually managed to get to side of road where the transmission locked into place. Electrical system was still functional but car was completely unresponsive. Occurred again 800 miles later after "repair" both incidents nearly caused accidents.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

May 142012

Elantra 4-cyl

My car started to clunk and would loose drive train power this happened a 4 separate occasions while accelerating and after being completely warmed up. I brought the car to orlando Hyundai and they called their main office and was told that there were 5 2012 Elantras that had to have the transmissions replaced in the United States but they were not going to replace mine. They said they were going to do some further testing but in all likelihood I would be put back into my car with the problem not being solved. I think this is a safety hazard and Hyundai is not taking this seriously and playing with peoples safety.

- Kissimmnee, FL, USA

Jan 272012

Elantra 4-cyl

This incident happened the night I bought the vehicle. The vehicle will suddenly buck/jolt/jerk as if hitting a speed bump in a very jarring manner. This also happened during a test drive of a vehicle of the same type and color (I'm not sure if they sold me the one during the test drive.). I was informed that the vehicle which jolted in this manner was repaired and sold to another customer. I'm not sure if they were telling the truth or if they gave me the same vehicle. Still, this is a serious defect that is potentially a big safety hazard. The salesman who sat next to me was also concerned when the incident occurred twice in the span of one 10 minute test drive. I bought a brand new vehicle not expecting this type of serious, internal issue. After some testing, I believe that this sudden buck will more likely occur after accelerating then decelerating. Please investigate this issue. Thank you.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 212012

Elantra

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving up an incline, the transmission made a loud clunky noise and shifted gears noisily. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the transmission. The transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 139 and the current mileage was 218.

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Sep 182011

Elantra 4-cyl

While pulling onto a city street away from a curb, the car lunged forward and would not continue to drive.I checked to see if the gear selector had jumped out of D to N. did not. Tried to continue down the street, and the car did the same thing at different intervals. Transmission would not shift properly out of 1st gear. RPM's and engine continued to operate, but transmission was continuing to grind, bang, jump and not shift. After coaxing the car to my residence, some three or four blocks away, I notified the 24 hour Hyundai assistance line. Being Sunday, they could not help. No way to tow car to dealership. Drove car to dealership at roughly 15 mph. Car continued to balk and jump. Dealer manager was contacted on Monday morning. After checking with Hyundai and a computer readout on auto, it was determined that it was a defective transmission. Transmission was ordered and replaced. Interesting to know if other customers have had same problem. May lead to a total recall of the 2011 and 2012 automatic transmissions on the Hyundai Elantra automobiles. Investigation needs to be conducted!!

- Smithfield, UT, USA