CarComplaints.com Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 212014

Elantra

One day in June, I tried to start my car and the park sensor above my odometer would not show. Because of this, the car wouldn't start at all. I had to continue to try to start the car, by turning the key multiple times inside the ignition and pressing my foot onto the pedal. It finally started, but not without apprehension on my part. The rest of the time, the car worked ok for the most part, but whenever I reached a traffic light it would act as if it were parked and acted a bit funny. The story above happened 8 more times over the next few weeks. I had the battery checked to see if it was a battery problem, only to realize the battery was fine. I tried other techniques, such as turning the key completely 90 degrees, but that didn't solve it. Finally, I went to the dealer and upon my story being shared, the mechanics immediately told me that the transmission range switch was not working. They had noticed more Hyundai Elantra 2012 cars in the past few days having the same issue. Since I am under the 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty, this issue was fixed at no cost. However, while this issue was fixed at my end. I would hope this story would spur a further investigation into the transmission range switches on all Hyundai Elantra 2012S and see what issues (if any) could result over a faulted transmission range switch.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 162014

Elantra

There appears to be an issue with the ignition switch that may be due to the switch overheating. What happens is that I will park my car and when I return a few minutes later and try to start the car nothing happens when I turn the ignition switch. If you go to youtube.com and type 2012 Hyundai Elantra ignition problem into the search engine you will see other 2012 Elantra owners posting videos of the same problem. I called my dealership which stated there is no recall of the 2012 Elantra. Again since other 2012 Elantra owners are posting this on youtube that tells me this is not an isolated incident.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 122014

Elantra 4-cyl

Driver attempting to brake but the brake system failed and hit another car, also upon impact the airbags did not deployed to protect the driver considering how severely the front area of the car were damaged. 2 days prior to the accident, car was not starting, was jumped- start and vehicle was brought to Hyundai service and they did not see anything wrong.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 282013

Elantra 4-cyl

I purchased this car in June 2011 and there have been three separate times that my car will not start. The first time was a few months after I first purchased my car. I went to start my car in the morning and it would not cut on. After letting it sit for the day I tried it and it turned on with no problems. The second incident happened September 2013. I went to start my car in the morning. It would crank but not turn over. I let is sit for about 3 days and everyday I would try it and it still would not start. I finally had it towed to a Hyundai dealer near me and they ran tests and everything came back fine and was told the car started for them with no problem and I probably didn't push in on the clutch all the way. Even though the tow truck driver also tried it and would not start for him too. The most recent incident the same issue happened. Car would crank and not turn over. I did some research online and saw from another Hyundai owner that they had to pump their gas pedal to get their car to start. Once I tried that the car started after a few minutes. This time I drove it to the Hyundai dealer where I purchased the car and once again all tests came back fine and they cannot find a problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 162013

Elantra 4-cyl

Vehicle will not start once stopped. After an hour or so it will restart. This problem has been ongoing for about a year. It happened again this morning (Oct. 16). This vehicle has been checked by Hyundai dealership where purchased in baytown Texas. Also at ntb store in atascocita, tx. After thoroughly checking all possible causes for this type problem, through vehicle diagnostics then replacing the battery, neither service center has detected a problem. They have given a resolution of no problem found. This problem has been ongoing for a year now. The problem started about six months after purchasing this vehicle.

- Humble, TX, USA

Feb 072013

Elantra 4-cyl

My Elantra limited will not start occasionally for no reason. I have to put it in neutral and back to park, then repeat to get it to start. This happens so often I am used to it doing this, so I just thought it was normal. That pretty much sums it up.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

May 172013

Elantra 4-cyl

Car will periodically not start - all warning lights come on and there is a humming sound. Often occurs when wheel is on an angle. Car will typically not start 4-5 times in a row. Overhead lights work at the time of the failure. A few minutes later, after much jiggling of the steering wheel while turning on ignition, it starts fine. One time it started after emergency brake was released and the car rolled a bit. Brought to dealer who could not replicate problem but acknowledged this problem had occurred with other Elantras. Dealer was about to release car when driver demonstrated that gear shift would not move out of park. Dealer found code C1513 brake switch shorted. Brake switch was replaced. Dealer kept car a few days with no replications. 7 days later, starting problem recurred at driver's home and again after a day at work. In both cases, wheel was not in "12 O"clock" position. In conversation with dealer, we discussed that when the steering wheel is locked (not sure of definition), car should not start. He recommended jiggling the wheel while turning ignition. He also explained that the gear shift will only move out of park if 1) ignition is in on position and 2) foot is on the brake. Why is steering wheel locking so often?

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 022012

Elantra

The vehicle has the same problems described in the 2011 recall with the brake switch. My cruise control sometimes does not work and 3 times has cut off on its own. It will not cut back on till vehicle is pulled over and stopped. I was told the problem could not be reproduced but its happening more frequently and im not satisfied with either cocoa beach or melbourne dealer. I have a recurring clutch pedal issue as well and do not trust their technicians any longer. I will just drive the car till it leaves me stranded or in a wreck. Westland Hyundai however has never had a repeat repair. Im not sure why their techs are so much more reliable. Wish I still lived in Utah to have my issues resolved.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Sep 102012

Elantra 4-cyl Diesel

Several times a day when going to crank the car it would crank. Also you could not shift the car from park to drive. (throttle plate stuck).

- Callahan, FL, USA

Jun 172012

Elantra 4-cyl

Car lurched, engine shut off. Car became uncontrollable and all the warning lights on the dash lit up. Eventually managed to get to side of road where the transmission locked into place. Electrical system was still functional but car was completely unresponsive. Occurred again 800 miles later after "repair" both incidents nearly caused accidents.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Jun 012012

Elantra 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle cut of completely. Electrical, engine, power steering, windows, everything was completely unresponsive and shutdown. I was forced to manually force the vehicle on the side of the road away from traffic/into safety. This is the second time this has happened in 2 weeks! the dealership stated that they had replaced the PCM/ECM. Once on the side of the road the vehicle was completely unresponsive and it was towed to the dealership again. This is completely inexcusable.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jan 292012

Elantra 4-cyl

Traveling on interstate, vehicle suddenly jerked (as if I hit something on the road) complete electrical failure. Dash, radio, navigation, power steering went dead. A few seconds later power came back while vehicle was still rolling and was able to restart by depressing brake and "start/stop" button. A few minutes later while traveling at lower speed, the event repeated. This time power would not return. Car was in motion and was able to roll to emergency shoulder. Car was stuck in neutral so emergency brake engaged to prevent roll back. Power gone, unable to roll down windows, activate sunroof, radio or anything requiring power. While call was being made to roadside assistance and after 10 minute wait on hold, dash illuminated power and car was able to be started with start/stop button. Decision was made to leave interstate and take back roads to avoid fatality in event of repeat. Failure experience 3 additional times. Was able to video tape failure: www.youtube.com/watch?V=xn9bpq9fogm&list=fle9mkxppktqats9tx4zu9fq&feature=mh_lolz

- Milledgeville, GA, USA

Jan 132012

Elantra 4-cyl

The Hyundai Elantra 2012 is equipped with front and rear seat warmers. The switch for the front seats resets to off when the car is turned off. The switch for the rear seats, however, remains in the on position. The next time the car is turned on, the rear seat warmers will be activated again until they are manually deactivated. A caveat in the Hyundai manual states: "with the seat warmer switch in the on position, the heating system in the seat turns off and on automatically depending on the seat temperature." This safety feature is to prevent injury to someone using the seat. My concern is the potential hazard the rear seat warmers pose when they are not being used by a passenger and the driver is unaware they are activated. On cold winter days the rear seat warmers could be heating at maximum wattage every time the car is turned on, unbeknownst to the driver. With this being a seating area often used by children, I believe there is a high likelihood that these switches could be left in the on position frequently and for lengthy periods of time. This poses both a health risk, as well as, undue wear on the electrical system and rear seat components.

- West Chester, PA, USA