Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012015

Elantra 4-cyl

On three occasions the past 2 weeks, my car would not start. In researching the issue, I find that this is a common occurrence with 2012 and 2013 Elantras. While this is not a safety problem with vehicle performance, it is a safety issue for the driver finding out that your car won't start and it's the middle of the winter. Hyundai needs to address this common issue and issue a recall to repair the defective part(s).

- Clinton, PA, USA

Nov 192014

Elantra 4-cyl

Car won't start on several occasions. For about a week straight, I would try to start my car in the morning and it would not start. All lights come on in the car so it's not the battery. After about 3 tries, car starts. Also happens when I leave work at lunch time after it has been just sitting for a few hours. Usually it starts after 2 or 3 tries and turning the key all the way and holding it there until it does. A few times I have had to put it in neutral to start it. After about a week, it stopped doing it. Now a month later, it is doing it again and getting harder and harder to start. Today it took like 10 tries to get it started. Dealer says it has to be doing it for them to figure it out but it's not doing it every time consistently. Will take it there today and hopefully it will do it for them as well. Reading the complaints on this forum, it seems like there are many complaints about same issue. Hyundai needs to figure this out and do a recall. This will be my last Hyundai if it is not resolved.

- Burdett, NY, USA

Dec 212014

Elantra 4-cyl

My 2012 Hyundai Elantra gls would not start this morning. I last drove my car home & parked it on 18th December and was home by 6pm. My car sat until the 20th of December around 9 pm when I went out to start it to check the fuel level. My car sat till 6:20 am on the 21st of December. I hit my door unlock on my key fob and the doors unlocked from there I proceeded to start my car. Everything started but the car. I turned back to the starting position and tried again. Same results. After review of my issue on various forums the "range switch" continues to be the faulty part.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

When turning on the ignition switch the car interior lights light up. Turning the key to the ignition position, nothing happens. There is no draw on the dash lights or any other lights on the car. It simply has no noticeable effect. I have to turn the key off and on numerous times before it starts. Not starting is, of course, a concern. The expenses from taking it to a mechanic has become a real drain on our finances. However, if it begins to turn off while we are driving, serious injuries may occur. {ref: Chevy cobalt} please investigate this issue. Getting ahead of this could prevent more tragic occurrences.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Nov 272012

Elantra 4-cyl

I have had multiple instances where my car has trouble starting, or will not start at all. Beginning in 2012, when the car had to be towed to the local dealer (tustin Hyundai - patterson's) as it wouldn't start. The dealer had the car for roughly three weeks straight, and could not find a problem, so they decided to replace the fuel pump system. Then again in February 2013, my car still had issues starting properly, and the dealer and corporate headquarters were contacted. Additionally, on October 4th, my car would not start once again, and finally, after three times, it started. It is currently at glendale Hyundai for the same issue. I purchased this car brand new in 2012, and have had nothing but trouble. From the issues with starting, to my windows not rolling up. The start issue is a major problem and safety malfunction. As a young woman, I do not feel safe driving my car alone at night or long distances as I cannot count on it being reliable. Hyundai needs to issue a recall, as a simple google search brings up multiple others who have had similar issues, only to be told there is not a resolution.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

I left home for a 1,000 mile road trip starting on the date specified above. Mileage indicated above is a close approximation to when the incident first occurred. On the first day, I stopped for gasoline at a station. When I tried to start the car back up, I had power to everything but my car made no attempt to start. After trying several times over the course of about 5-10 minutes, it finally started and ran fine. This happened five times over the course of the trip lasted 8 days. I have made an appointment at the dealership to look it over, again. I say "again" because I took the car in to the dealership less than 500 miles prior for what I believe to be a related issue. The automatic transmission shift lever would not leave the "drive" position when I stopped at one point and needed to get out of the car. I could not because I could not put it in "park", gear shift lever was stuck in "drive". back to the "won't start" issue - wiggling the automatic transmission shift lever seems to have helped me start the car when it previously would not. Dealer said they could not find the cause of the stuck automatic transmission shift lever.

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA