Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Be aware that there's a significant trend of owners complaining that the Elantra's fuel economy is significantly less than the EPA estimates.

2012 Hyundai Elantra wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Elantra:

2012 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Dec 012012

I purchased this car new from a Hyundai dealer in March 2012 problem 1. since early on, the car always exhibited a serious instability in the rear end. Specifically speaking, when driving on any small bump found on any normal road, the car rear suspension will not absorbe the bump like any normal car would but instead severely jumps and then 'darts or shifts' laterally. Even in dry pavement. Having lived in the ne and Illinois now, I am a very experienced driving in snowy conditions. Driving this car in even 1/2" of snow is downright terrifying. There is absolutely no rear end control and total instability no matter how careful you drive. I have found myself not knowing if I was going to make home without getting into an accident. The past two winters I had to use other vehicle even if the weather forecast call for snown flurries. I have never driven a car so unstable in my 45 years of driving. By the way, loading up the car with passengers or additional weight has zero impact reducing the severity of the problem. Problem 2 the rear tires wear out very fast. Even though I rotate them even 5K miles, they wear so badly that they produce a loud road noise from uneven wear. I am on my third set of tires and these need replacement now. I have taken the car to to Hyundai, they checked alignment and said there is nothing wrong and the problem must be the tires. After doing some research, I learned these cars have a solid, non-adjustable rear end with a fixed toe-in and camber. I am certain that both problems I listed are caused by Hyundai's rear end design. This is a major problem and Hyundai refuses to acknowledge it. It is a matter of time before accidents with loss of life will occur. What am I suppose to do this coming winter?.a neighbor with a 2013 Elantra complained about the same instability.

- Harvard, IL, USA

Jun 012016

Due to the design of the 2012 Elantra suspension/rear end, the rear wheel tires are worn out well before expectation. Purchased the car new and after 20K miles discovered significant wear on the rear tires...especially the inside of the tire. Thought it was a tire problem. Replaced all tires, and after only 16K miles the rear tires again need replacement. Front tires look like new. The tires are less than 2 years old. Again, still thought it was a tire problem. Went to tire dealer and was told the problem was not the tires but the fact that the rear suspension cannot be adjusted for alignment. It is fixed by Hyundai at a -1.50 camber...which apparently causes the tires to ware out quickly. I now agree that it a car problem and contacted Hyundai customer service. The rep said they had never heard of this before (which I find difficult to believe) and refused any assistance pushing it back on the tire manufacturer. The local Hyundai dealer stated they were aware of this problem, but could nothing to resolve it. This appears to be a design flaw which Hyundai is not ready or willing to address.

- Leclaire, IA, USA

Oct 302014

Had just had my car in for my 20,000 mile check one week ago. Had tires rotated and all the other recommended service. Was driving on highway, good weather in atlanta, ga, and tire pressure gauge went on. I exited the highway (fortunately I was in a location where I could and it was evening with less traffic than the norm) to find a station to check tires and put in air in. One tire had a bubble/bulge in the sidewall and all four tires were showing a pressure of 29/30....down that much in one week with no significant weather changes, I haven't hit any potholes or bumps, or any reason why this should be the case. Very frustrated and afraid to drive, especially after reading all the horror stories about the wheels/rims/tires on this car being the wrong size for the car. Please do something about this sooner rather than later before someone dies! why must that always happen before anything is done?

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 172013

Pothole induced tire failure - torn sidewall. The limited edition of this car is fitted with 17" rims -- stock tire is a 215.45.17. With approximately 22,000 miles of driving, we have destroyed three tires on potholes, fortunately all were at low speed and there was no loss of control. However, hitting a pothole or other break in the pavement at high speed could easily destroy the tire and cause the vehicle to go out of control. The aspect ratio is simply to small for safety. A review of automotive forums indicates this is a common problem for Hyundai Elantras with 17" rims. I was hesitant to let my children drive the car on the highway. At our own expense we have replaced the stock wheels and tires with a 16" wheel and larger aspect tire.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Oct 272013

Elantra 4-cyl

Two! not one but two of the oem tires have bubbles in the sidewall. That is a blow out waiting to happen and god knows what damage that can do. I'm afraid to drive the car for fear that one of the tires could blow out and send me off into a ditch. To top it off, the car did not come with a spare tire (to save weight and improve gas mileage) so if it does blow out and I can safely control the car over to the side of the road, I'm screwed and stranded. This happened to me last year and I had to have the car towed to the dealer and buy a new tire. Blow outs are very dangerous. Now I have to call a towing company to get my car and go get new tires.

- Berlin , MD, USA

Nov 152012

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the rear passenger's tire split and the front driver's side tire blew on several occasions. The tire sensor warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis but the dealer could not duplicate problem. The tires were replaced and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 282013

Elantra 4-cyl Diesel

My low tire pressure light came on so I pulled into the next gas station and noticed that 3 out of my 4 tires had a bubble on the outside sidewalls. Tires are hankook P215 45R 17 87H - dot 5M24 dlh - only one of the tires had this number at the end (4711). I called hankook hq at (855) 275-8899 and the person was very short with me tell me they never had a tire recall even though they did have a voluntary recall. I have contacted the dealership and waiting for their return call.

- Stony Point, NY, USA