CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

5.9

2013 Hyundai Elantra accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Nov 182015

Elantra

The drivers side sun visor does return to a flush position, so it is left partially blocking the windshield when driving and comes into contact with the top of the drivers head when operating the vehicle.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 072015

Elantra

Car starts but won't stay on, new battery installed, still doesn't turn on, in garage and is being towed to dealership. Windowshied fog constantly, and all F a sudden after 10 minutes and only way to defog---open windows., happens every am as driving to work on freeway or home at nights. The car is well maintained. Gas mileage is not 33 miles per gallon. Disappointed. Also sun roof doesn't close, was fixed, and still doesn't close all the way without me doing fancy maneuver with switch. Concerned- major safety issue!!

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Elantra

When turning a left hand curve it is hard to see around the ape hanger because it is to wide. Had a near miss a couple of times in my subdivision because it is hard to see around.

- Burlington, KY, USA

Feb 222015

Elantra 4-cyl

Driving down highway with light rain. Temperature approx 34 degrees. While at speed limit (65mph) the moon-roof exploded! not simply shattered but exploded. (inside 'sun' cover was open at the time) there were no other cars on the road within 1/2 mile of me. I did not just pass under a bridge and no construction on the roadway at the time of the explosion. Almost lost control of car but managed to maintain until I could pull over on side of roadway. Suffered minor cuts to scalp, face and neck (nothing that required hospitalization). Significant shards of glass throughout the interior of the car and some minor damage to paint surface from shards of glass hitting the outside of the car; rear roof of car and rear deck lid of trunk. Lodged complain with corporate Hyundai (have case number), also went to local Hyundai dealership gave them case number and had them take photos. Dealership initial reaction is that glass is not covered. They suspect the dropping temperature may have had something to do with it. I have escalated my claim with Hyundai corporate; asking under the circumstances that this is obviously a manufacture defect, that they cover all costs of repair. Awaiting their response.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Dec 182013

Elantra 4-cyl

Wiper fluid pressure and direction is not adequate to clear windshield during winter driving conditions. The majority of the fluid never contacts the wipers before running off to the side. Inver grove Hyundai dealership looked at this problem on two occasions. On the first visit, the technician who drove the car agreed there was a problem. They shimmied the nozzles and told me to bring it back if not improved. I brought it back again because I saw no improvement and the problem was getting worse with the cold weather. I told them I felt it was a safety concern. The response on the second visit was, after flushing the system, the wiper fluid was performing similar to other Elantras and, since there are no adjustments to make, there was nothing further they could do. They would not say if they agreed there was a problem or not. They referred me to corporate Hyundai. Their rep looked at the video referenced below and gave me the same response as the dealership. The dismissed my concerns and gave me no recourse. Here is the link to the video that shows the wiper fluid under-shooting the wiper blades, taken Feb 7 after my second visit to the dealership. The driver side is particularly bad on this occasion but both are effected and performance seems to vary depending on air temperature and speed: youtu.be/K4_xj-vylcc.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

May 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

When the air conditioner is on and it is humid outside, the side windows fog up on the outside. There is no way to clear up the fog on the outside of the windows. In previous cars, there was a brush in the window well and all you had to do was lower the window and raise it and the fog would be removed. I have contacted Hyundai three times and they refer me to my local dealer. Each time the dealer acknowledges the problem and says there is no solution that they can provide. Please help me convince Hyundai to put a brush in the window well.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152013

Elantra 4-cyl

I heard an explosion and started feeling something falling down on me as I was driving. I looked up to see the sunroof part of my panoramic roof had shattered and shards of glass were falling down on me. This was in the morning, nothing above me or around me, no trucks.. just a random break. I called the dealership and was told to contact my insurance. I looked online and see there have been many issues with the sunroofs doing the same thing on different models. The dealership is ordering the replacement right now.

- Modesto, CA, USA

May 102013

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph the panoramic sunroof suddenly shattered. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,900.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 122012

Elantra

I started my car, pushed the wipe blade once so that it would get the dew off windshield. Wiper blades got stuck, pushed again, it came down a bit, pushed and pushed, it continued to get stuck. Took my car to the dealer 4 times now and problem still exist. They put a new switch in on 9/28/12. Drove my car that night, it was raining, wipers started doing the same thing again. Took it back on 10/1/12. On that date driving to work, it stuck again. By the time I got to dealer, it was working properly. On 10/2/12, the same thing happened. Dealer cannot find out why this is happening and states they cannot do anything unless they see what the wipers are doing as if they haven't already seen it before. The day I took it there, the wipers started doing all kind of crazy things so they know exactly what the wipers were already doing.

- Henderson, NC, USA