Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Mar 142016

I have taken my Hyundai Elantra into red mccombs Hyundai in san antonio tx. On I-10 West several times only to be told that there was nothing wrong wit the struts. And they did work on the surging part of the engine but it still surges when speeding up. I was told by Firestone that the struts needed to be replaced, and I was told by two different mechanics here in kerrville, tx the same thing but they said I was under warranty and should take it back to the dealer and insist they repair it. So I'll try one more time. The front end makes a loud clicking sound when taking off and feels like it bottoms out when you hit a bump. It is a bit nerve racking. The last mechanic told me to take it back to the dealer on 3/14/2016. This problem is two years old now, billy carson

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Nov 072015

Car starts but won't stay on, new battery installed, still doesn't turn on, in garage and is being towed to dealership. Windowshied fog constantly, and all F a sudden after 10 minutes and only way to defog---open windows., happens every am as driving to work on freeway or home at nights. The car is well maintained. Gas mileage is not 33 miles per gallon. Disappointed. Also sun roof doesn't close, was fixed, and still doesn't close all the way without me doing fancy maneuver with switch. Concerned- major safety issue!!

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Oct 272015

I have owned my car for a little over 3 years now. I started having problems with my fob not unlocking my car. I would had to press the unlock button several times to unlock. Then I also started having problems with not being able to turn on my car(with the push start) because the brake pedal was really stiff. I had to press hard on the brake in order to successfully turn on my car. Recently I've had a check engine light come on sporadically. Sometimes the light comes on and off while during my drives in the city. Two days ago, I attempted to turn on my car and the car began to start, but continued to make the ignition start sound for several seconds--about 10 seconds-- than usual. This was of course not the norm, so I pressed the start up button to turn off the car. When I attempted to turn on again, it turned on fine with the check engine light on again. I went to pep boys and meneike to check this out and they said that I had a P2096 problem. This code was followed with the description as follows: Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1. essentially I was told that the ratio of oxygen and fuel, the engine take is off. They thought it was a leak that would cause the lack of fuel going into the engine, but when they investigated it, they didn't find a leak. As of now, I don't have a real diagnosis for my car. I'm not sure if all of these problems correlate or have a domino effect on each other, but the issue will take a while to take care of.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Jan 122015

Driver was making a left turn into a parking space on 2nd floor of parking garage. As the left turn was made, the Elantra GT suddenly accelerated by itself into a wall, hitting a pole and the wall. Hyundai is investigating. Dealer is useless. Right now unsure how to proceed. Exterior can be fixed, but what about the problem?

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 262014

As others have mentioned, I have had both problems starting the vehicle (the car could not be started on two occasions so far, despite having adequate fuel and a charged battery), and with the rear of the car swinging out when traveling over a bump or on slippery road conditions (even at speeds as low as 35 mph, there is a noticeable kick from the rear of the vehicle, which has worsened with time). For both cases, the dealer was unable to find an issue, and/or said any kind problem was "within tolerance."

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While driving 45 mph, the accelerator pedal was disengaged but the vehicle continued to drive at the same speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician advised the contact to spray gum out inside of the fuel injection throttle plate. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 98,000. Updated 2/9/15

- Forest Hill , MD, USA

Sep 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

While turning into a parking spot. My car suddenly jumped and accelerated and slammed into a concrete barrier. The air bag also did not deploy.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 112013

Elantra 4-cyl

On 8/11/13 the 2013 Hyundai Elantra that was purchased 6/3/13 at the fred beans dealership in doyelstown, pa. Unintentionally accelerated and crashed into a concrete wall in the parking lot at king of prussia mall in king of prussia pa. The car was turning into a parking space and when the gas petal was applied the car accelerated full speed into the wall. This is the second time this has happen to a car that was only 9 weeks old. It had happened in our driveway 4 weeks prior to the collision on 8/11/13, but the car was brought under control and we assumed it was just not being familiar with a new car. The car was immediately towed to the dealerships body shop for inspection and a claim was opened with Hyundai customer assurance. The car was inspected by an independent inspector several weeks later and after 6 week we have received a letter stating that there was no failure on the manufacturers part and there was nothing they could do. I have requested testing results and documentation from Hyundai and I was told it was classified, so I asked for a list of tests performed and it cannot be given to us. We have received several letter from Hyundai, none of which had a persons last name or any name at all. I have had the car's body work repaired and have tried to trade the car into the dealership for another new car but the dealership will require another substantial down payment which makes this option unfeasible. The dealership has not had any correspondence with the manufacturer and has requested I formally ask for some monetary relief towards the new car replacement. I have made several requests and have gotten a final "no" decision from Hyundai. The car has and still sits at the dealership and I will not allow my daughter to drive an unsafe an undocumented car. Please let me know how to proceed.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Jul 162013

Ran out of gas despite the gauge showing 42 miles left (about 1.5 gallons). Walked to a station and got a gas can; put a couple of gallons in, started the car, and the meter started dropping dramatically, going from 112 miles remaining to 104 to 98... all the way down to 82 miles remaining before I even started driving. Drove about a quarter mile, and it fell another 3 miles. Don't know yet if the car if the problem is with fuel injection, the gauge, or some issue with the tank itself (air/water leaking in or gas leaking out, etc.). problem occurred the day after bringing the car into the shop for a separate problem. My car is 6 weeks old, and I have broken down two days in a row just driving to work.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA