CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Elantra

The panoramic roof spontaneously exploded while driving at highway speed. On I-495, the beltway around DC, the roof shattered while driving at ~65 mph. It sounded like a startling shotgun blast followed by falling glass and loud wind noise. The only barrier between me, the driver, and large shards of broken glass was the inner roof shield, which was fortuitously closed, otherwise the shattered glass unexpectedly falling on my head/cutting me while driving would likely lead to my face, head and arms being cut, a highway collision or worse, a multi-car collision.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 272016

Elantra

Around 40,000 miles the car randomly would not start, leaving me stranded. I took the car in several times and dealership could not detect an issue. 2nd time I dropped off, a misfire was detected and ignition coils where replaced due to defected coils. I picked up my car and 11 days later the car wouldn't start up again. Its been in the shop for 3 weeks now. Last I heard they are replacing: The shifter assembly, transmission range switch, and brake switch. I have yet to hear if the parts came in and if this will fix the issue. I received a call on 11/3/2016 and now the engine needs to be replaced. There is a serious issue with the car failing to start and Hyundai cant even figure it out, as of today they had my car for a total of 25 days and still no resolution. Something needs to be done and recalled. Ive contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs directly and have a case with them going on. I see several complaints of this same issue happening on this model, I hop this will somewhat help. Be consistent and don't take no for answer, I am still making car payments on something that is not working nor I have is unfair. Since the car is less than 60,000 miles this will be covered under warranty, it should of had to take me 3 times, calling a manger and going to Consumer Affairs for them to finally take my issue serious.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 072016

Elantra

Vehicle was stationary. Check engine light and lack of digital engine temperature gauge alerted driver to issue. Upon inspection at authorized Hyundai service center, it was noted that rodents had gnawed through wiring and connectors located in the engine bay. Per service center's recommendation, vehicle was considered unsafe to drive, and vehicle was left at service center pending appropriate repairs/replacements. It was noted that the wires that were chewed through were coated with soy-based materials instead of plastic which had been used in earlier models. Service center claims to see this issue at least a few times per month. Rodent deterrent tape is being purchased from Honda (who already acknowledges this issue and is current the subject of a class action lawsuit). Tape will be wrapped around wires following repairs.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Dec 052015

Elantra

If I hit any bump in the road while driving my vehicle fishtails causing the vehicle to steer into the next lane. I do no know what is causing the vehicle to fishtail. I believe that one day this can cause an accident and put myself and others at risk of hitting each other.

- Tulare, CA, USA

Aug 072016

Elantra

Repeatedly white cloud smoke from tail pipe when suddenly accelerating from 20 to 40 miles/hr. It has happened several times now. Same problem has been encountered by other same model car owners as I found on internet. No one seems to know the cause some theories - oil or coolant burning from worn-out valve rings, or water condensation possibly from muffler leaking. Seems other Hyundai models, such as accent, have also same problem. My car has done only 30K miles. Others had same problem at as low as 14K miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 272016

Elantra

Takata recalll. My car does not crank, but the dash lights up as if it is going to crank. Makes a clicking noise when trying to crank it.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Mar 082016

Elantra

While driving down the freeway at 70 miles an hour my sunroof suddenly exploded sending glass all over myself and in my car luckily I had a hat on wich shielded my eyes and my children were not in the car.

- Rockwood, MI, USA

Nov 042015

Elantra

Rear of the vehicle tends to fishtail or sway at speeds above 40 mph while operating on snow covered roads, during rainy road conditions, when the vehicle travels uneven pavement such a steel bridge deck joints. I checked and there were approximately 20 simliar complaints in the first 80 complaints that I looked at. So 25% percent of the first 80 complaints that I looked at for against this car are similar in nature. These condition is very dangerous and should be addressed. I called the dealership and he declined to say there are any known issues as described. I just mounted my winter tires and was made aware of severe wear as if only 1/3 of tire is actually in contact with the road surface. If this is the case, that would explain why the car is unstable in poor weather conditions. I just had the alignment checked and it was fine. The poor design of the rear end as far as tracking goes could explain why tires are wearing out prematurely and why the vehicles fishtail. Listed below are similar complaints: NHTSA id number 10785827 10782948 10782179 10777921 10776596 10749640 10748705 10726713 10722309 10721075 10716682 10713795 10712467 10706333 10704445 10695023 10694257 10691288 10680416

- Campton, NH, USA

Oct 132015

Elantra

I was parking my car in a parking lot of a store. I slowed down and applied the brakes. Somehow the brakes failed and I hit another car. The collision stopped the car. I have only had the car for 1 year and feel very unsafe.

- Warwick,, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Elantra

For the sixth time my car wont start.it happens at random times and is very annoying. I am sick of the dealership saying that the car started right up for them or they cant find anything wrong.I have had the battery replaced and it has been fixed for a campaign. All my electric stuff turns on with no problem. Now I am currently missing a day of work that is going to be unpaid.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 162015

Elantra

Would not start. Many many many complaints to Hyundai on line since 2011. Hyundai is ignoring us. Car will not start and everything else works...seem it may be a range switch. Please have them recall. This is very common. Just called boulder co dealer he told me there is nothing they can or would do. Please help us. I have no clue if this many happen while moving.... Hyundai may wait until some of us are hurt...do not even want to drive it... please help us.

- Lafayette , CO, USA

Jul 312015

Elantra

I was driving in a parking lot when I heard a lot pop noise. I stopped the car and noticed my entire sunroof have several cracks/shattered by was still in place. I drove home and discovered that the glass had started to cave in. I took the car to the Hyundai dealer the next week and explained what happened. The Hyundai dealer took pictures and sent them to the manufacture. They replaced my sunroof after an investigation. I got my car back a week later.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

May 042015

Elantra

Twice in a month a part my car refused to start both times the hyandai dealer kept the car over night and the next for a week. They could not find what wrong with it. Once the tow guy took it in and put the car in neutral to get it on tow truck....wouldn't you believe it it started right up. The batteries are good and all the electrical items come on.....but no start. My warrant will expire in a couple of hundred miles and I am worried I will not be covered the next time. And there will be a next time. I am a single parent with kids and feel very vulnerable about this.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Elantra

The paint started peeling and cracking. Honda extended the warranty to cover repairs to the hood, roof and trunk. The remainder of the car had just as much flaw in the clear coat and as a result the paint is splotchy and looks much older than it should. Honda refuses to cover this issue.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 252015

Elantra

Sun roof exploded while driving.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 302015

Elantra 4-cyl

The vehicle, intermittently will not start. After turning the key all lights on the dash illuminate but the engine will not turn over. After multiple tries the vehicle will start. This has happened four times.

- Perris, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Elantra

Unable to move the car out of park. The electrical worked (radio, windows). I insert the key and turn but the car wont turn over (start). I have to use the shift lock release to start the car. The problem occurs intermittently and there is no pattern.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 192013

Elantra 4-cyl

Over the past 11 month this car has had several incidences where it just will not start. On a few occasions it started after a couple of tries and a few occasions where it would not start when I needed it to but had no problem starting an hour or two later. This weekend was the biggest issue. I parked my car Friday evening with no indication that there was an issue but on Saturday the car would not start, later on Saturday the car would not start, Sunday the car would not start. Hyundai roadside assistance sent someone out to jump my car but the car would not start. They sent out a tow truck to take the car to the dealership and he used the shift override to put the car in neutral and the car started right up once it was in neutral and it drove just fine. When this issue occurs the instrument panel lights up but when I turn the key to start the car, the panel goes out and there is nothing but silence from the engine. The last time it happened I took the car to the dealership but they said they could not duplicate the issue so there was nothing they could do because it is not causing any codes to go to the computer.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 252013

Elantra 4-cyl

I purchased the car in March, it was my first time buying a new car. Within the first couple of days after buying the car I noticed a few rattling and clanking noises. I believed this to be the cars moving parts, and didn't think much of it at the time, especially since I was used to driving used cars that sounded worse. After a few weeks, I noticed that the noises where noticeably louder, along with a loud knocking noise when I turned the steering wheel. The dealership that I purchased the car from (universal Hyundai in orlando) was booked up so I made an appointment at orlando Hyundai. Shortly after bringing my car in, and having the service department look at the car, I was told that the car was sold to me defective, that "the left and right inner tire rods and lock nuts were loose, threads were damaged, and the lock nuts were left loose from the factory". the service manager explained to me that this could have easily caused an accident, and that "one tire would've went one way and the other tire would've went the other way, causing your car to come to a sudden halt". this might have caused a serious accident, and knowing that I was driving that car on the highway, taking trips with my family and children, while the car was defective was very scary and upsetting. I was very excited about purchasing a new car, and hoped that I would not have to deal with these kinds of problems. I am extremely disappointed and want absolutely nothing to do with Hyundai. I have the statement from the service department stating that the factory made a mistake and I plan on filing a complaint through Hyundai and the national highway safety administration.

- Orlando, FL, USA