Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 082016

I have noticed that my vehicle's airbag light is turning on and off while the vehicle is in motion on a city street and on highways. I do not know what triggers it to turn off and on. It also turns on and off while the vehicle is not in motion. I believe this is a major security issue because if I am involved in a major car crash and the airbags are not on then I will not be secured.

- Tulare, CA, USA

Apr 092016

My 19 year old daughter was in an accident on April 9th 2016 in her 2013 Hyundai Elantra.. both vehicles were at a dead stop at an intersection before either of them started moving. My daughter was going straight and the other vehicle was turning, both of which were going approximately 10 mph. My daughters car hit the front fender of the other vehicle causing a bent wheel and a small dent to the fender. My daughters Hyundai, totaled. Every airbag in the Hyundai deployed, including the back seat which seemed strange since it was a frontal crash. The transmission wouldn't go in to any other gear it was stuck in drive. The hood was smashed up to the front windshield. The damage to the car was over $12,000 there has to be some faulty part(s) or equipment on the car to cause such damage at such low speeds. I can't imagine what could happen at highway speeds in a crash in a Hyundai. I wrote to Hyundai about safety concerns of their Hyundai Elantras, their response was unacceptable: "we understand that you are dissatisfied with the design of the 2013 Elantra and we apologize for any disappointment this has caused you. This information has been forwarded to all appropriate parties within Hyundai for review, including Hyundai management." Really Hyundai! people can be severely injured or die in these vehicles which I feel Hyundai needs to be a little more concerned.

- Lyman, WY, USA

Jul 112016

On July 11, 2016 had an accident wherein the vehicle was totaled and the front driver side air bag did not deploy. Driver was diagnosed with blunt force trauma to the sternum. Driver rear ended a vehicle which was stopped on the on ramp to the highway.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jun 132016

Braking difficulties and air bags structure.

- Alington, TX, USA

May 192016

While driving my car the trip reset button does not reset and the number of mpg going crazy and now I have the airbag light on the dash on suddenly and stayed on. I am afraid that the air bag will deploid or wont work on a accident. Safety. This vehicle was in motion.

- Barceloneta, PR, USA

Apr 072015

My son had an accident on the street where we live coming home one night, he fell asleep and he ran into a parked pick up on the right side of the street and the had lots of front end damage, the car was a total loss. He hit his face on the steering wheel during the accident, the air bag(s) did not deploy. My son's face was horribly swollen, he also ended up with a blacken, blood shot eye as well and I had to take him to the doctor to seek medical treatment.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Dec 242015

Takata recall. The airbag light is on since December 23rd 2015, I went to the rick case Hyundai dealer in davie, fl and they told me the warranty expires"?, how come a warranty for a mechanic part that is not in use, mean the airbags have never been deployed, can expire?", I am very concern for my wife, daughter and me safety and afraid to use the car for long trips.

- Weston, FL, USA

Sep 092015

The contact owned a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While driving at 40 mph, another vehicle ran a traffic light and crashed into the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 292015

Airbag light comes on and then goes of when you unfasten seatbelt.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jan 082015

Elantra 4-cyl

I was coming off of interstate 95 onto my exit and I applied my brake to slow my car but my brake apparently gave out and was not working. It make a loud sound like it was trying to hold but it didn't and in order to stop my car from hitting any others or people standing at the side of the road I tried steering it toward the closest curb so that I could prevent as much as possible within my power. My airbags didn't deploy but the car hit hard enough that my face slammed into the steering wheel, I sustained a concussion and damaged my face and glasses. I have muscle strains in my back, neck and still a swollen eye and cheek bone.

- Folsom , PA, USA

Jan 232015

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While stopped, another vehicle rear ended the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact's vehicle rear ended the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained injuries to the back and the right thumb. The front passenger sustained a back injury. The contact did not disclose if medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000....updated 02/11/15

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 122015

Driver was making a left turn into a parking space on 2nd floor of parking garage. As the left turn was made, the Elantra GT suddenly accelerated by itself into a wall, hitting a pole and the wall. Hyundai is investigating. Dealer is useless. Right now unsure how to proceed. Exterior can be fixed, but what about the problem?

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 262014

Did not go off.

- Irving, TX, USA

Oct 212014

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving at 35 mph, the air bags failed to deploy after another vehicle crashed in the driver side of the contact's vehicle., the driver sustained unknown injuries which he received medical attention on the scene and was later taken to the hospital. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Sep 252014

Elantra 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car. It was a dark road in the night. Perhaps she didn't see the stop sign and crashed into a vehicle coming from right hand side, going in the same direction my wife was going. My wife crashed the other vehicle from behind. It was serious crash in which the entire front portion of the car is damaged. But the air bags did not come out. My wife had her head hit the steering wheel and had an injury. My complaint is "why did the air bag not inflate in such a serious crash?"..updated 10/06/14. Updated 05/13/2015

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

While turning into a parking spot. My car suddenly jumped and accelerated and slammed into a concrete barrier. The air bag also did not deploy.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 112014

Was making a left turn at a intersection and T boned a pick up truck, extensive damage to front end of the Elantra front end, [ air bags did not deploy on the Elantra ] even though the whole front end was tore off. Driver door damaged, windshield cracked both front fenders damaged, plus unknown if transmission and or transaxle has been damaged until the car can be repaired. Hyundai has stop any repairs until they send a Hyundai investigator to look at the car, which they say could take up to 6 to 8 weeks to check it.

- Rickman, TN, USA

Feb 212014

The contact owned a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 10 mph and making a left turn, the contact accidentally crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact and the passengers in the vehicle sustained minor scrapes and bruises that required medical attention. The other vehicle's passengers also required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,200...updated 10/01/14

- Jonestown, MS, USA

Jun 162014

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, another vehicle crashed into the rear end of the vehicle causing the contact to crash into the preceding vehicle. The driver and passenger air bags both failed to deploy. A police report was filed and both the contact and the passenger required medical attention. The contact sustained injuries to the back and her septum was ripped. The passenger sustained injuries to the neck. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 21,497.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Apr 032014

Elantra 4-cyl

Vehicle 1-(Jaguar 2004) traveling eastbound at 1000 North loop E. driving towards exit lane. Vehicle 2-(Hyundai Elantra 2013) traveling East bound at 1000 North loop E. in lane #4. vehicle 3 (box truck) traveling East bound at 1000 North loop E in lane #3. vehicle 1's fd struck the fixed object (plastic barrels divider/concrete wall) and the vehicle rolled from right to left and slid across lanes of traffic and vehicle 1's fd struck vehicle 2's fd and vehicle 1's fd struck vehicles vehicle 3's fr. Vehicle 1 received a citation for failure to drive in a single lane. Vehicle 2-Hyundai Elantra was totaled out by insurance and the bags never deployed during the accident. Emergency personnel on the scene asked why they did not deploy...updated 09-10-140 updated 11/7/2014

- Houston, TX, USA