2014 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Elantra:

2014 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Elantra

08-26-16 while pulling into a parking space at a public park while doing less than 5 miles per hour, I experienced rapid unintended acceleration, plowed through a fence, sideswiped a tree, went off a grassy median back up onto a grassy median and then bounced off of that before the car finally came to rest. My brakes did not work and I had no control over the vehicle. It is a miracle that I am not dead as the park is on a very busy 4 lane road and is usually full of children.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Aug 212016

Elantra

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 35 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred at least twenty times during the past year. The vehicle was taken to the dealer once for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 172015

Elantra

Returned home from work and parked vehicle in driveway, got out and got groceries from passenger side. Went inside and about twenty minutes later was informed by neighbor that my car had rolled out of the driveway, across a 55 mph street, and through ditch into neighbors yard. When myself and three other people approached the vehicle we were astonished to see that the E-brake had been engaged and yet the vehicle rolled down driveway with no signs of tire dragging. It is as if the E-brake completely failed for a short period of time. There are other Hyundai's of similar build recalled for "parking break issues causing dragging while driving and possible rollaway while parked". sadly Hyundai is not helpful because my exact car does not have a current recall going. I believe that my car has an issue that is a defect of the caliber that creates the amount of damages necessary to recall a model of vehicle. Death or serious injury could have resulted due to the malfunction of the parking brake in my car. My vehicle has incurred above $3,000 worth of structural and body damage from rolling away at no fault of my own. It is currently at a repair shop and I am pursuing a claim with Hyundai but they are not doing what is best for the safety of consumers. An inspector should be out to look at my brakes regardless of the outcome, circumstance, or fault. Instead of trying to avoid paying for my car they should be looking into if this malfunction could cause harm and property damage to other people. Thank you for caring about the safety of our cars and roads.

- Cornelius, OR, USA

May 072014

Elantra

I has recently traded in my 2012 Hyundai Elantra for a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. The 2014 had started doing what the 2012 did occasionally, accelerate when I released my foot from the gas to switch to the brake to begin slowing down for a light. After I've applied the brake and I'm coasting before I need to apply it again, the car will accelerate. I used to think it was my imagination, then I read others confirming it does happen. Lately I've also had an issue with the car accelerating when I do touch the gas, the engine revs up and bolts forward like I floored it, but I only lightly touched the gas. I'll be bringing it to the dealer soon for these issues.

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Mar 222014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my 2014 Hyundai Elantra (that I had only had for 3 months, had 1,500 miles on the car) home from the airport, had my cruise control set on 55 for the previous 30 minutes, and I noticed the car in front of me was braking. Naturally, I pressed the brake as well to slow down, but the brakes did not work. The brake pedal was hard as rock and would not press in at all and therefore I could not slow down and cruise control did not disengage. I kept trying to press the brake as hard as I could, but the brake pedal was hard and would not work and cruise control kept accelerating. I pressed the cancel cruise control button on my steering wheel, but that did not disengage either. Just has I was shifting my car to neutral, my car rear-ended the Lexus in front of me. After my car struck the Lexus (my foot still on the brake pedal), I felt the brake finally press in and I was able to slow down and pull off the side of the road. The brake malfunction is still under investigation, but upon my own investigation, I found a recall of Hyundai Elantra year models 2007-2011 for this very issue that caused my car accident.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA