2011 Hyundai Equus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Equus:

2011 Hyundai Equus Owner Comments

Aug 042016

When applying car brake pedal, the brakes lights will not illuminate. If I turn on car head lights the brake lights illuminate. But if the head lights are off they don't work.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 252016

I was driving the hard and I had to come to a stop on the highway. All of a sudden my brakes turned spongy and I swerved to miss a car. I have had the master cylinder replaced thinking that was the issue but it was still spongy. I then noticed the recall on the genesis and I contacted Hyundai. I asked did the recall affect the equss seeing how they are the same part numbers. They told me no and it didn't fall under the warranty either. They said I would have to pay around $2800 to have it fixed. I don't understand how the same part goes bad on 2 different cars but the recall isn't for the Equus in the same years as the recall on the genesis.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 012013

Equus 8-cyl

Driver behind me alerted that my brakes worked but my brake lights did not work. He indicated the potential for serious accident on the nation's highways. Dealer replaced brake harness diode Z06. Again on 20may2014, the same thing happened. This time, dealer replaced diode Z01. There was no audible or visual warning on the dash although vehicle performs a "system check" at startup and warns of minor alerts like low tire pressure. I am afraid to drive the vehicle as I am a retired person and I must depend on the safety features of my car. Two letters to Hyundai hq have not produced results. Internet searches reveal that this problem has existed with Hyundai for many years. A permanent fix in the form of a recall is required. Or, refund the purchase price so that owners can buy a safe car.... updated 10/27/14 updated 11/13/14 updated 7/28/2015

- Silver Spring, MD, USA