2009 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Mar 302011

Genesis 8-cyl

The brake pedal goes to the floor when stopping the car. Once stopped you have tp pump the brakes to keep the car from moving forward. The Hyundai dealer indicated that this was an ABS failure and he has replaced many units already.. my car is out of warranty. I went on to the Hyundai owners forum for the Genesis and this has happened alot to these cars. Hyundai has replaced these ABS units when the car was out of warranty. This is a safety issue and a failure to warn owners of a continuing problem.

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 162013

Genesis 6-cyl

On several occasions since 2/16/13 I have been having intermittent problems of brake pedal gradually going down to the floor at a stop light or while waiting at a stop light the brakes would gradually lose pressure and the car would start creeping forward. This has been occurring whether I am driving 30 mph on residential streets or 70 mph on highway (which I stopped doing!). my husband also drives the car and experienced the same issues. After pumping the brakes, I was finally able to stop. Driving in inclement weather has been almost hazardous. Car taken back to dealer (March 7, 2013), had part replaced, picked up car on March 8, 2013 and had to take the car back the very next morning, March 9, 2013, and the problem was worse than when it was taken in the first time. When this started happening, I was very afraid of having an accident, especially when I never could tell if my brakes would hold with just a simple stop light. I have spoken with other Genesis 2009 owners and found out that this problems as been occurring since July 2012 and Hyundai has been made aware of this problem and certain dealers are not handling the repairs in a customer friendly way, especially since is definitely a safety issue.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Feb 052013

Genesis 6-cyl

After sudden deceleration, brake pedal went soft. Brakes continued to operate but less predictably. Initial repair of brake booster worked for a week or so, then failed. Replacement of ABS module seems to have fixed the problem. All work done under warranty.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Genesis 8-cyl

I was traveling on the on ramp of interstate I20 @ 45 mph, applied the brakes and nothing happened except that the pedal went right to the floor, 7 miles later on the exit ramp at about 70 mph exactly the same thing happened again, took the car to the dealer that evening after work. They told me the master brake cylinder had failed and because my mileage was 2,930 over the 60K limit it would not be a warranty repair. I said "are you kidding me?, you must call hna this is a serious problem". they must have because they repaired it "one time good will for customer satisfaction". my confidence in this brand has gone away, this should be a recall.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jan 162013

Genesis 8-cyl

This is the second time the brake light diode has gone out in 29000 miles. There is no warning light or indicator that the brake lights are out. Both times it was caught during an oil change.

- Frankewing, TN, USA

Apr 092012

Genesis

On a total of four occasions now I have had total brake failure--brake pedal to the floor when moving. The vehicle went to the dealership after the first incident. Multiple parts were replaced. The problem occurred a second time thereafter. I captured it on video, as the problem was not duplicating at the dealership. The dealership determined the brake master cylinder was faulty and replaced it. Almost eight months to the day later (today), the same problem occurred. It is intermittent and random. The brake pedal literally pushes to the floor, almost as if no fluid is in the lines. There are no recalls, tsbs, etc. I have posted this in online forums and sought answers. So far no luck. It is only a matter of time before a crash and possibly injury occur. I am very close to parting ways with the car. Brakes are like jet engines; they really need to work all the time. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Dec 282012

Genesis 6-cyl

On December 28th I was driving in my '09 V6 Genesis on the interstate for about 20 minutes and I took a downhill exit with a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Thank the universe that the road was empty because as I applied the brakes to slow down they went to the floor and the car barely slowed down at all. As I got closer and closer to the stop sign I had to pump the brakes about 4 more times with them going all the way to the floor each time. The car finally slowed down to about 10 miles an hour. As nobody was at the sign at the bottom of the hill I was able to coast slowly through the stop sign and turn left to use the emergency brake to come to a complete stop. I then turned the car off and back on to try the brakes again. They went to the floor about 4 more times and then the pressure finally returned. This is some scary stuff since I was on the highway for about 20 minutes and I know for a fact that I would have crashed into someone had I been driving during rush hour traffic and there been a line to get off the interstate. I got the car home safely that afternoon and parked it to leave the country for vacation. I returned on the night of new years day and dropped the car off on the morning on January 2nd. The dealer said they would look into the problem. I got a call from them yesterday saying they cannot repeat the problem (of course) but also mentioned that they had to replace the master brake cylinder on a Genesis just last week for the exact same problem. Ironically enough I was speaking with my coworker about this (he has a Genesis) and he said his dad has a Genesis and just had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago, to which the dealer replaced some ABS parts on his car. Please look at this forum to see others who are experiencing problems with their brakes (www.genesisowners.com/Hyundai-Genesis-forum/showthread.php?T=9926).

- San Diego, CA, USA