1.7

2009 Hyundai Genesis engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Genesis:

2009 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Nov 222016

Genesis

Was driving car to meet my husband and when I turned the corner, he was frantically waving me to get out of the car because it was on fire, in the front under the driver's side bumper. I got out and saw flames shooting from under the bumper. With the fire department on the way, we made several attempts to put the fire out w/water to no avail. A nearby store owner came out with a fire extinguisher and was able to put the fire out. Once fire department arrived, he indicated that it appeared to be an electrical fire. Once they moved the car, my husband attempted to start it and it started billowing out smoke. At that point, the fire department ordered him to turn it off and have the car towed and to not drive the vehicle again

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 062015

Genesis

Had a similar problem earlier today while taking the car out to get dinner. As I was approaching the freeway exit my car suddenly stalled and the steering wheel seemed to stiffen and the navi screen went out then back on. I pulled over emergency lane and waited to see what would happen and music continued up again from the usb port but I couldn't change the song. On the navi screen where usb setting is saying " initialization failed". so I pulled the usb stick to reset it and got it to work. I was able to go to dinner then drive back home without incident. But later on that night I tried to start my car but as soon as I hit the start button everything died. No power to anything no alarm no use of keyless entry no power at all. Then I come back to the car a few hours later that night and open the trunk manually with the key to get something and as soon as I slam the trunk down all the power came back hids, brake lights, lexicon system music playing. Except when I try to turn on the engine with the start button it won't start. Then everything shuts off like before I'm at a loss. But eeriely I been having problems like the previous poster with topping of gas issues because the car doesn't know when to stop pumping gas sometimes when full and a few times the car spewed out some fuel. I'm not sure if that is related to my recent stall incident but I've plans to driving from san jose back home to los angeles tomorrow on labor day and I'm scared to. What if the car stalls on mountain freeway over pass and it stalls and lose steering and brakes. I don't know if the dealer is even open labor day. What should I do? help!

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Jan 232015

Genesis

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the sensor assembly oxygen sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,199.

- Dix Hills, NY, USA

Sep 292013

Genesis 8-cyl

The car had recently gotten a major service at the dealership in early August. The car had not been driven much since that service as the primary driver was unable to drive the car from mid August through the time of the incident. This is a car that was well maintained through dealership servicing. The car was being driven on the freeway at night at the approximate speed of 65 mph. Suddenly, a loud metallic clank, clank clank came from underneath the car. It sounded as if we had run over something on the freeway. Directly following this, the car lost all power and we noticed the smell of electrical burning. We were unable to accelerate and the headlights began to dim. Luckily, we were able to steer the car off the next off ramp & bring the car to a stop but the power steering and power braking were gone. Had this not occurred on a Sunday night, the results could have been very different. Once safely to the side of, we smelled a strong electrical burning smell in the passenger compartment. We did not witness evidence of fire or smoke. Initially, the lights went out completely. They slowly powered back on but each time keyless start button was pushed, the lights would begin to dim again. The car was towed to the dealership. The dealership called the following day to let us know that the engine had a hole in the block. From their assessment, this was not caused by an external force but from the failure of an internal component. We filed a claim with Hyundai corporate who deemed that the problem was not caused by a manufacturer's defect.

- Rosemead, CA, USA