2010 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Genesis:

2010 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 242014

Genesis 6-cyl

Brakes completely failed as I entered NJ turnpike. No braking power was restored. Drove in lowest gear and used emergency brake. Second incident with this car in 6 weeks.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

May 122014

Genesis 6-cyl

The brake lights on the 2010 Hyundai Genesis (and possibly other years/models Hyundai vehicles) have various problems with the brake lights failing to work. This is very dangerous not only to the Hyundai Genesis driver, but also for any driver following behind the car. There has been various factory recalls for the 2010 Hyundai Genesis brakes including one that causes the brake lights not to work due to a brake switch failure: www.cars.com/Hyundai/Genesis/2010/recalls however the particular problem my car and other Genesis owners have reported does not have a factory recall for it, even though it poses the some of the same safety issues that the brake switch factory recall had. genesisowners.com/Hyundai-Genesis-forum/showthread.php?T=3269 the root cause is diode that fails which cause the brake lights not to work. (this is different that the brake switch factory recall.) I don't know how many months I drove without having brake lights. My state inspection was in January 2014. A driver that was behind my car informed me my brake lights didn't work in May 2014. I had my car towed to the dealer due to the danger of driving when the car's brake lights don't work. Apparently Hyundai knows about the issue (according to the above link) : technical service bulletin 09-be-023, stop lamp Z01 diode inspection procedure, appears to describe the location and procedure for troubleshooting of the diode but describes the issue as "... vehicles may experience the stop lamps blinking on and off even when brakes are not applied." Why is there no factory recall for this problem? it can cause serious accidents which could lead to fatalities.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 092014

Genesis 8-cyl

As I was exiting the highway, the brakes went almost all the way to the floor. The rest of the trip I needed to pump the brakes to enable me to stop. I took it the Hyundai dealer the next day and they said it there was a recall for the ABS module. I had the dot4 fluid recall done on December 3rd 2013 (up until then I had never had a brake issue) and apparently the ABS module recall came out Dec 20, 2013. The dealer replaced the module under warranty and now the car brakes fine. I just wanted to document the failure.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Nov 142013

Genesis 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the brake pedal was abnormally depressed into the floorboard. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the braking system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Nov 012013

Genesis

I was traveling approximately around 45mph when I pressed on the brake to stop at a intersection. However the car had other plans and didn't stop as desired due to the brake pedal going to the floor! thankfully, no traffic was in the oncoming lane and the turn lane for me just turned green. I was able to go around the car ahead of me and make the turn without incident. I then proceeded to limp the car over to the local Hyundai dealership here in jacksonville, fl. They diagnosed it as a bad ABS module for the brakes. My 3rd party warranty company wouldn't repair the car due to no check engine light coming on from this brake failure. Key Hyundai repaired the car at no additional cost to me even with my car having 63K miles on it. Another thing to note is that they had just changed out the brake fluid due to a tsb a few months prior of which the old fluid could cause corrosion on the brake system from what I understand.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 192013

Genesis 8-cyl

Several months ago when I attempted to brake, the pedal went down to the floor. However, upon stopping the car and restarting the engine, the car appeared to be normal. I called the dealer and reported the problem and was told by the service writer that if it was not "doing it further" and there were no warning lights there was no point in bringing the car in. Today, I experienced a total brake failure; this time I was in a parking lot and the pedal went all the way to the floor and I was only able to stop the car by letting it reduce to coasting speed and shifting into "park". as I was only a few blocks from my house, I was able to limp home, pumping the brake to stop. My husband called the dealership when I got home and was told to bring it over. The dealership is about 4 miles from our house, my husband drove very slowly and found that upon pressing the brake pedal there was minimal braking and then complete fade out of the brakes. He used the parking brake to stop the car when necessary. When the car was examined at the dealership they reported to my husband that the ABS module had failed and needed to be replaced. (it is important to note that this failure took place without warning and without any indicator lights, either the ABS light or the brake light, indicating that there was a problem.) before filing this complaint, I looked online and found many, many complaints of the exact same problem. Why hasn't NHTSA ordered an investigation or recall?

- Plantation, FL, USA

May 102013

Genesis

Total brake failure on 5/10/2013 and 5/11/2013.

- Raleigh, NC, USA