2012 Hyundai Genesis brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Genesis:

2012 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Aug 082016

Brakes went soft after a few minutes of driving. Normal braking through several stop and go intersections. Then a sudden unexpected change which resulted in pressing pedal to the floor and the brakes barely slowed the car. Turning the car off and back on restored braking to normal use.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Aug 022016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to come to a complete halt. The contact had to pump the brake pedal multiple times in order to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jul 192016

My wife and I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan. My wife is the primary driver. She came home one evening and told me that the car failed to stop and went into the intersection as she attempted to stop for a red traffic signal. I immediately drove the car down the street and observed that you had to pump the brakes to stop and the pedal went to the floor. I added some brake fluid and pumped the brakes. I drove the care the next few days and noticed that over time the same thing happened with the pedal going to the floor. I took the car to my mechanic and had all the brakes changed. That cost me over $320. The mechanic advised me that the car had a faulty master cylinder. To shorten the story. Due to the dealer cost of from $275 to $365 for a master cylinder. I bought 2 online and 1 at oreilly auto parts. I spent $105, $81, and $79 for each respectively. Each time the mechanic advised me that the were not compatible. He was so conflicted by the process advised me to take the care to the dealer and told me that with only 91000 miles and a well maintained 4 year old car, it is unheard of for a master cylinder to be faulty. I contacted Hyundai and was told there was no recall nor was my vehicle covered by my factory warrantee. I am a retired auto theft officer so I decided to check with NHTSA for complaints and recalls. I am positive that this recall applies to my car. I have had the same process happen to me regarding the windshield wiper motor. Hyundai would not help so I found a motor at a junk yard. I paid to have it installed. However it only works at one speed. I would like it replaced and a refund for the cost incurred to find and replace it. I also would like the braking system repaired and compensation. Hyundai's recall number is 114. I would like to invoke the lemon law..

- Corona, CA, USA

Jun 282016

Vehicles brake pedal became very soft and needed to press down all the way down on the pedal for the vehicle to stop. Was driving on the highway when this occurred. Drove straight to the Hyundai dealer and told the service tech of my issue. Received a call from the advisor where he explained the ABS system on the vehicle had failed and needed to be replaced. Cost is $2,300 plus $260 for the front pads. I quickly did a research on my vehicle and saw this is a recall problem with my car but the advisor said that was just a rumor online and it was not true. Called Hyundai and they said the recall was performed at the dealer in January 2014 but I don't have a service record stating this. Calledthe dealer back to gain a copy of the recall work order and it just states "recall item section performed" without any details. Dealer refuses to correct issue and stated my only options are to pay 3K in repairs or drive off the vehicle with care. Also my car just lapsed the 60K mile warranty about 3 months ago.

- Plantation, FL, USA

May 302016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 5 mph, the brakes failed. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal and it traveled to the floorboard of the vehicle. The contact was able to use the brakes just enough to get the vehicle to a dealer. The dealer repaired the brakes, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Courtlandt Manor, NY, USA

May 032016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. While driving approximately 25 mph and attempting to stop, the brake pedal extended to the floorboard and the vehicle would not stop. After pumping the brake pedal several times, the vehicle was able to be stopped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic electronic control unit was faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 102016

Brake pedal occasionally will not engage the brakes until it is at the floor. Feels like a brake failure at first and the pedal moves all the way to the floor before the brakes engage. Almost had a wreck running into the back of someone from this. It does not do this all the time, but is now happening more frequently. Usually once or twice a week.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 142016

I was turning to park in my parking space and all of a sudden the car began to accelerate with such speed that I thought it would jump the curb and crash into my home. I was unable to stop the car and the brakes were unresponsive. It hit the curb and finally came to a stop with a terrible shudder/noise.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 172014

Genesis 6-cyl

While traveling at about 10mph in a parking lot the brake pedal went to the floor when I tried to stop. There was minimal braking. The brakes started to work normally and then failed again within minutes. The car was then towed to the dealer. The dealer said there was no recall on my car and so did Hyundai. I researched the NHTSA data base and found the recall related to brake failures in the Genesis which would have affected my car. I have never received a recall notice even though my car was produced 3/24/12 and according to NHTSA all cars produced up to and including 3/28/12 were to have been recalled.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 202013

Genesis 6-cyl

I was driving at a speed of around 35 to 40 mph on a street (that's not highway). I was maintaining a proper distance too from the car in front of me. For some reason the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I responded immediately, but the braking was so soft and I felt like nothing has been done and I bumped into the car ahead of me. I really thought at the time of the incident that, something was not right, but didn't think too much into it. A day after I heard these recall news and I can now totally relate my case with the descriptions of other victims.

- Saratoga, CA, USA