3.6

2012 Hyundai Genesis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Genesis:

2012 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Oct 162016

Genesis

Headlights blink on/off when using turn signal. Doing research, I see that many people have complained about this and the fix is to replace the turn signal stalk ($400).

- Helena, AL, USA

Jul 152016

Genesis

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and several warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the failure could not be duplicated. The failure recurred, and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new battery. The battery was changed, but the failure recurred. The vehicle went back to the dealer a third time for diagnostic testing, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jul 052016

Genesis

Driving home on the 405 fwy last night my Genesis R-spec 5.0 lost all power, electrical and steering. Fortunately, I was on the right lane and was able to maneuver the vehicle off the fwy. I had no lights, no emergency flashers, complete shutdown of power. It was about 9pm and dark luckily it was not in a lane or this could have been fatal as I could not turn on any lights! extremely dangerous and have reported my incident to Hyundai customer care. Vehicle was towed to dealership pending diagnostics.

- Playa Vista, CA, USA

Jan 092016

Genesis

Headlights turn off when turn signal is used at night. When making right turn last week at night used right turn signal approximately 100 ft prior to turning. Front lights went out and car turning in front of me almost hit me because they couldn't see me because my lights were off. Other Hyundai Genesis owners report the same problem. Dealer unable to diagnose problem. Headlights flicker when turn signal is used

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Oct 252015

Genesis

What is likely a faulty turn signal stalk causes the vehicle's headlights to either flicker, shut off or flash the high beams regardless if it is stationary or in motion. It manifests itself in various ways; the most recent being on a 5 hour interstate trip. When signaling to change lanes, the high beams would flash which would in turn disturb drivers in front of me. Other times, the lights have flickered and/or turned off entirely for a brief period of time hindering night time visibility. For further reference, I will provide a link to an owner's online forum which discusses other individual's problems like this: genesisowners.com/Hyundai-Genesis-forum/showthread.php?T=12504&page=4

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Aug 102015

Genesis

This ihas happened 4-5 times. I was driving on a street, thank god, I was not on hwyway, engine just stalled and streering wheel locked. I was hard but, somehow managed to get on the curbe and avoid a crash. If this would have happened on freeway, it would have been fatal. I think, Hyundai sure know this problem exist in Genesis too. It is same problem ( symptoms) as described in Hyundai's sonata recall. I don't know what is hyundia waiting for. It is a serious problem with a $50,000 car. I have no trust on this car anymore. This would be my last Hyundai. I know, if I take car to dealership, I would hear response that, no issue found. Genesis has a serious engine problem with stalling.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 152015

Genesis

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. When the vehicle was started, the front windows were lowered and the driver side window switch became inoperable for approximately five minutes. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Mar 192015

Genesis 6-cyl

The car stalled and engine shut off while moving. I was driving on a surface street when the car shut off, all indicator lights were on, temp gauge was normal, fuel tank was more that 3/4 full. The car started up again and drove away normally.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 122012

Genesis

The first time it happened I was driving on a 2 lane road when the car just stopped, no warning. After about 15 minutes the car started up again. I brought it to the dealer service department and they kept the car for 2 weeks and told me the car is fine now. The second time it happened my husband was driving the car and was getting off one major road and getting on to another and the car just stopped again. Waited again and the car started up again after about 15 minutes. The third time my husband was driving from my home to the front of my development and the car stopped again no warning. The forth time was just this past week when driving the car on a very busy road and it happened again, this time someone had to push us off the main road so that we do not get hit. I took the car to the dealership again and they have the car right now and I am driving a loaner car. I call Hyundai and started a case and they told me that it is up to the dealership to decide what to do about my car if they can not find the problem. I am refusing to drive the car because I do not know when this is going to happen again and I am afraid. We have been very lucky up to now that we have not had an accident or even worse. Please tell me what I need to do now. By the way this is a leased car.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Genesis

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 252014

Genesis

Radio display freezing up. Word Genesis stays on. When put in reverse rear camera will not come on. When put in drive display stays frozen with word geneis. Can hear radio playing on am/fm/ and xm radio when changing channels. It freezed up on me took it to dealer, service manager hit reset button would not reset. Turned car on and off several times before it finally cleared.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 312014

Genesis 8-cyl

While driving at night on the highway with the lights on automatic setting, taking a exit and put my left blinker on the head lights shut off for a period of two seconds. At times the cruise control does not work, the front and rear sensors come on when is nothing in front or rear of the vehicle. The car as been at the dealer various times and at times they said I have a bad sensor and by the time they look at the vehicle they said that is nothing wrong. The symptoms go away after driving for a couple days, bit I feel that I will get into a accident if the lights don't come back on.

- Scituate, RI, USA

Nov 262013

Genesis 6-cyl

Hyundai Genesis sedan w/tech package. While driving down a poorly lit road at approximately 50 mph, I activated my right turn blinker to turn right at an upcoming intersection. As soon as I selected the turn signal, both headlights went out for a period of 1 - 2 seconds, then came back on. Since the road was dark, I was literally driving blind and could have ended in a very serious accident. There has apparently been a few Genesis sedans reporting this same issue, but this was the first time this has happened to me. When I got home, I noticed that my headlight switch was in the on position. There is also the auto position. When in on, I could duplicate the issue randomly by selecting the turn signals, thought it wasn't consistent. When in auto, I could not duplicate the problem.

- Scott Afb, IL, USA

Nov 082013

Genesis 6-cyl

The headlights completely turn off for around a second when turn signal is engaged or disengaged. Problem happens sporadically and has only been observed when the headlights are in the on, not auto mode. This sudden and brief, unexpected lack of visibility at night is dangerous.

- Fox Lake, IL, USA

Nov 062013

Genesis 6-cyl

There has been numerous occasions when my headlights are on and I engage a turn signal, both headlights turn-off for a period of about 1 to 2 seconds. This can be deadly when traveling at a significant speed during hours of darkness.

- Scott Afb, IL, USA

Jun 182013

Genesis

I was driving on a local highway in the center lane and the vehicle lost power suddenly. All of the indicators came on. I had to muscle the car off the road using momentum with no power steering crossing lanes of traffic. It was a very dangerous situation that could easily have created an accident. Previously the car lost power at a light and the navigation and back up screen has flickered and turned off and the music controls freeze. I took the car in to the dealership after it died the first time and they reported no error codes and did not repair the car. I immediately took the car in after it died on the highway and they are again reporting no error codes. This is a very dangerous situation to have my car suddenly lose power while driving.

- Fort Myers , FL, USA

Jan 042013

Genesis 8-cyl

Auto hold technology feature failed at a stop light. When on, auto hold illuminates white, and green when it is actively holding the vehicle in place, without the need to depress brake pedal. On a stop light car jerked forward and the auto hold illumination turned orange in color from green. Auto hold feature would not reset even when restarting vehicle. Dealership was able to reset, citing a shortage in the auto-hold unit, with a replacement part ordered. Potentially dangerous if there was anyone in front of the vehicle at the time of failure, as it could of resulted in a potential injury.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Aug 032009

Genesis 8-cyl

The lcd information display located between the speedometer and tach is too dim to read during the day unless the car is in the shade. This creates a safety hazard since certain info is necessary while driving and cannot be seen under the stated conditions. The brightness cannot be adjusted. I have contacted Hyundai and they recognize the problem but said there is no repair available. It is possible this only applies to the 2012 non-rspec 5.0 model since I have talked to other owners with the rspec and they don't have the problem. Other similar models on my dealer's lot have the same problem. Please reply, thanks.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 162012

Genesis 6-cyl

Back up camera did not function when vehicle was put in reverse. Back up camera came on when vehicle was put in drive and stayed on for a block or so while car was driven forward. Gps map then was activated, but display froze, then entire screen went blank. Video system then re-booted itself. This was repeated several times before the gps stayed on the video screen as it is designed to function. The intermittent operation of the gps was distracting and could have resulted in the driver not being able to view driving directions.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA