2012 Hyundai Genesis fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Genesis:

2012 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Aug 292016

Cylinders were misfiring. Dealer said it was due to computer software issue which caused insufficient fuel delivery to the cylinders. Dealer updated software which seems to have remedied the problem. When the problem occurred, the car lost some of its power and vibrated. I was on a side street with little traffic at the time, so the hazard was minimal. However, if the same situation happens to others on the freeway or in heavy traffic, or when full power is needed to avoid an accident, it could be hazardous.

- Rancho Santa Fe, CA, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. While driving at any speed, an alarming odor of fuel emitted from the rear driver side wheel. The dealer diagnosed that a vale in the fuel tank failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012015

My car was serviced 3 times at dealer due to gasoline smell issue after driving 2 hours continuously at high temperature 100+. I have to inhaling the gas most time when I drive back to home. Hyundai is trying to ignore this hazard/safety/health issue... what will happen if I get hit by other vehicle while gas fume is releasing from my car" how about other people seating in my car while I drive this car"

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 072015

When driving our car, it just dies with no for warning what so ever. This has happened 7 or 8 times over the past two years, so it is not something that happens all the time but when it does it can be extremely dangerous. This has happened driving down interstate all the way to slowing down for stopped traffic. We started working with fort mill Hyundai over two years ago and have been told things like our oil change was past due to my wife doesn't drive the car hard enough, both laughable responses to a very serious issue. We were getting nowhere with the dealer so I contacted Hyundai corporate and again got a laughable response from their internet team. When I pushed the issue and brought up someone was going to get hurt or killed and they would hear from an attorney they had their regional manager out of atlanta call me (I believe his name is robert staples), he talked me into taking the car to keith hawthorne Hyundai as the fort mill location did not follow their internal procedures. In working with the keith hawthorne team they felt they could help me out. After having my car for 10 days they called me and told me to pick up the car as Hyundai will not authorize them to do anything on the car. I completely realize the technology and complexity of todays automobiles and was trying to remain patient and work with them even though I felt it put my family at risk. Unfortunately Hyundai has made the decision to not work with me leaving me no option but to reach out to you. A side note, if you do a quick google search you will see we are not the only Genesis owner having these problems, so Hyundai has a bigger problem than just my car.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jul 312014

An alarming smell of gas fumes could be smelled emanating from the driver's rear wheel well. I took it to the jim click body shop that had recently repaired the car in that area and they found no leaks but verified the fumesa. The next day I took it to jim click Hyundai at the auto mall to be repaired. They could not reproduce the problem. The dealer has reported several occurrences of this type. This is a very hot temp time here as an aside.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 012013

Genesis 6-cyl

While driving down interstate heard loud noise under car. Five miles later I parked car in driveway, and started smelling gas, looked under car and found quarter size hole in gas tank, the tank should have shield around it to prevent this. The exhaust pipe runs next to gas tank which could cause car to burst into flames. If not full shield at least diverter plate in front of gas tank. Cost of new fuel tank runs around $500 and only dealer have it.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA