6.4

2013 Hyundai Genesis electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Genesis:

2013 Hyundai Genesis Owner Comments

Oct 182015

Genesis

Driving the vehicle down a city street, it suddently became next to impossible to steer. Pulled car over, and it felt as though there was no power steering. We were within a mile of our house so we took it home and parked it. The next day we called a wrecker to tow it to the service department. After sitting overnight, the problem was gone, the service department couldn't "replicate" the problem so nothing was done to stop it from occuring again. I'm not certain of the exact date but it was the end of 2015 I believe. We have the service record.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 212015

Genesis

As leaving the store, the vehicle(a standard) would not shift into any gear besides reverse. The lights would not come on. The car was initially in 1st gear and rolled backward with foot on gas and clutch. The seatbelt light kept dinging and flashing even though the seatbelt was hooked in. This is the second time it happened. This time it occurred as we were pulling onto a highway from a store. The car had to be shut off and restarted on the side of the road. If there was a car coming, there would have been an accident.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Mar 172015

Genesis

Three issues. All have occurred only twice or three times in two years. Last time I took the car to dealer but they didn't do anything since no "codes" were stored in the system! 1. the infotainment display panel goes completely dark. Radio stops and all other activity and control knobs become non-operational. Just stopping and restarting the car does not fix the problem. But, both times, when I have restarted the car after 30-45 minutes (e.g., after shopping, or returning from airport), everything is back to normal. 2. sometimes (again infrequent) when using the navigation system, all colors go away, screen becomes darker, and everything displays in gray. But, when I change the display settings from auto to day, the color returns. All occurrences were during daytime driving. 3. again, sometimes, when listening to radio, the brightness on the display changes from evenly lit display of the dial, the two ends become darker - like gets dark and cloudy!

- Naples, FL, USA

May 072014

Genesis

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that the doors would not unlock and a key symbol illuminated intermittently. The failure also prevented the vehicle from starting. The dealer stated that the signal from the key fob was not recognized by the control system in the vehicle. The system module was replaced, but the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Aug 212013

Genesis 6-cyl

Bought my 2013 Genesis 3.8 with technology & premium options on March 1, 2013. I have had two problems from around the 2nd month after my purchase. They are: 1) the driver seat and the back not getting much airflow even at the switch setting at max position; 2) the seat leather cover is not snug tight - kind of loose and wavy in the middle area. Have been to the dealer seven times starting August 2013. The dealer has replaced the fan and filter, found blower motor weakened, seized. Removed and replaced blower, swapped seat with another car in stock/loaner, found driver seat bottom deformed; removed and replaced driver seat bottom, and have, without Hyundai's approval, inserted a "hose" tube under the seat to improve airflow. I have also had two different field service reps spend a day, month apart, with the car - testing and measuring voltage and current to the motor. The first field service rep agreed that there is a problem and requested "documentation" from Hyundai-Korea, but never received any. That rep was transferred out, and the new field rep did not find any problem. After this, the dealership service director tried to help me by installing a small "hose" tube just over the air-intake opening, but that still did not improve anything. Right now, at max setting of the switch, I still feel no air coming from any of the vented holes - on the seat and on the back! I have filed the defect notification form with the Hyundai at their consumer connect center address in California, and sent a copy to the Florida attorney general's office for the lemon law administration. I did do a google search some time back and found lots of people in this forum have complaints about this driver seat cooling problem and some had very creative solutions. It has been very frustrating for almost 10 months, 7 trips and Hyundai not doing a better job in its warranty coverage.

- Naples, FL, USA

May 092014

Genesis

Get in 2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe. 2.0 T, start engine seat belt warning lights go off and stay on, turn signal sound is off and electrical locks stop working all at the same time. Took to dealership and they can't find anything wrong. Researched on the net and other have the same problem, D no fixes or explanations from Hyundai that I could find.. this email was I sent to Hyundai on 5-9-2014 our 2013 Hyundai Genesis is having electrical problems and no one at Hyundai seems to care about it!!. the service can't find anything wrong until its to late!!! right?? many consumers that own this car are having the same problems with the seat belt light not going off, the locks malfunctioning, and turn signal / light problems all at the same time!!! this needs to be addressed now!!! the electrical system is very in important and can effect the safety of the automobile. Airbags!!! we will file a complaint with the national safety admin. So they know whats going on, and if and when something does happen we are covered.... I'm surprised no one has yet. Fix the problem now!!! regards,

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 182013

Genesis 6-cyl

I went to go to work and the drivers door opened, and would not latch. This has happened 4 times in the last 9 months. I will be driving down the highway at 60 mph, and the drivers door opens by itself, and it will not latch. So at this point I am trying to drive the car while holding the door. This is extremely dangerous for me, as well as other drivers. We had the car towed to the Hyundai dealer two weeks ago, and they replaced the door actuator again. This did not fix the vehicle the last time they did it. I will not drive this vehicle again, due to the fact that it puts me in grave danger. The general manager from napletons Hyundai in West palm beach, Florida has yet to return any of my calls. We have purchased four vehicles from this dealership. Hyundai feels it is fine for me to drive this unsafe vehicle. In May 2013 the service manager took the vehicle home for 5 days to see if he could get the door to malfunction, and he experienced it. They replaced the door actuator, but his did not fix the problem. We have a four year lease on this vehicle and we are at a loss as what to do. The vehicle is not safe for me, or anyone else to drive.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 202013

Genesis

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the electrical system malfunctioned. The steering system, dash board lights, and other electrical components became disabled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test however, the dealer could not find an issue that caused the electrical system to malfunction. The failure mileage was 13,800.

- Memephis, TN, USA