2002 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jul 012004

Santa Fe 6-cyl

There have been numerous issues with my 2002 Santa Fe. The first being 6 months after purchasing the vehicle. I heard a constant grinding noise and noticed the vehicle suspsenion not responding smoothly. When the dealer checked the problem, they determined that the front bearings needed to be replaced, but there were no problems with the brakes. Since this time, I have had the brakes checked frequently, (since I perceive a frequent problem with grinding and problems stopping...the car doesn't stop well)...and I'm often afraid it won't stop. This summer after having the brakes checked, while parallel parking, the car would not stop when the brakes were applied resulting in my vehicle hitting another parked car. The vehicle did not stop until I quickly put the car in park and turned it off...not yet being in the spot completely. My rear brakes have been replaced every 6 - 8 months since the car was purchased. My mechanic states that the brakes for the Santa Fe's are configured like small car brakes and are not sufficient for this size vehicle thus requiring them to be replaced often. Another, separate incident occured approx 6 months ago, again when the car would not stop (heard a clicking/grinding noise). Had the vehicle towed to the dealer and was told the ball joints (I think it was also the ball joints) and front axle needed to be replaced. Dealer said he had never seen anything like the crack in the axle, but was not user caused.

- Baltimore, MD, USA