2002 Hyundai Santa Fe wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Mar 212015

Santa Fe

While driving at 25 mph, my wife had to hold the steering wheel at 10 O'clock in order to keep the vehicle going straight. The dealer told us that the subframe and controller arm had broke - a recall campaign which was repaired in 2010 (or so we thought). Due to this the car is not drivable and we are told by the dealership that, although the subframe and controller arm will be covered, the damage to the struts and tires are our responsibility to the sum $973.31. Our personal mechanic states that the front tires (under 4 years old and having less than 3000 miles on them) and the struts (under 5 years old) would not need to be replaced if not for the issue with the subframe and controller arm. At our recall appointment on December 22, 2014 (for a separate issue), the dealership saw no issue during their inspection of the vehicle. Our 2002 Santa Fe has 91,000 miles, and in the last 3 months since that appointment has been driven less than 300 miles, as my wife's work is less than 2 miles from home. Hyundai motors America states that they are separate issues and therefore not part of the repairs they will cover.

- Harper Woods, MI, USA

Jun 122014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Every time it rains I hear a roaring in the back right tire area. Took back to dealer 5 times they couldn't find any thing wrong. While filling up with gas the engine dies, and is very hard to start.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 082014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Santa Fe that broke its rear left arm due to rusting and the left rear wheel is almost detached. This happened while my spouse was driving on a busy 4 lane street where traffic travels at 45 mph. The SUV swiveled and the driver was able to struggle to stop right in the middle of the road during rush hour. This was an extremely unsafe situation. I know there was a recall for this: NHTSA campaign number: 09V123000 and I have had it serviced at the dealer for this issue. They only added anti-corrosion and drilled some holes, as they Hyundai had given them this option. I guess this was not the right solution. Hyundai should have changed the entire arm, if they knew rust was an issue. I talked to the dealer and they mentioned that they have this happen to other Santa fes. The dealer has graciously offered to work with Hyundai to get this fixed. However, I think Hyundai did not handle the recall right. If they knew rust was an issue, they should have directed the dealers to replace the control arms. I guess they figured these vehicles would be off the road by then.

- Streamwood, IL, USA