1.7

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 262016

Santa Fe

Front suspension rusting through - discovered by mechanic

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Santa Fe

Was backing out of driveway at my daughter's, I was on a side road with no traffic. A large bang and the tire popped. When I had a mechanic come look at it, he said the spring had broke and went into the tire of the front passenger side. The vehicle is still in her driveway. I have owned vehicle for about 6 years and never received a recall notice. I was looking up cost and found the recall. I am so glad this was not while I was driving or had my grandkids in the car.

- Newport, VT, USA

Aug 102015

Santa Fe

Left front trailer arm came off while driving, tire came off vehicle. Sub frame rusted through. Car used to be kept in one of the salt belt states. No recall to this part according to Hyundai, only recall for coil spring and rear trailer arm.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 062015

Santa Fe

I was driving and all of a suddent it started making a noise so I pulled over and th3N I found out the frame was damaged

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 242015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 09V123000 (suspension) in October of 2009. The suspension was treated with a rust proofing material to prevent the failure from occurring. In June of 2015, while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle appeared to be pulling to the left and a crunching noise was present from the rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection, it was discovered that the rear driver side wheel was tilted outward. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear trailing arm fractured due to severe corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 152014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). Per the service report, the dealer replaced the coil springs protector and not the actual coil springs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Charleston , IL, USA

Feb 242015

Santa Fe

This is in regards to NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000. This is a recall I was never informed about, although I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that was originally sold, registered, and driven in one of the "salt belt" states. Because I was never notified by Hyundai, I never had the vehicle checked by a authorized dealer. And today, the front driver's side spring broke. Unfortunately for me, the nearest authorized dealer that can make this repair is over 100 miles away from my home. I placed a call to Hyundai customer care center at 1-855-671-3059 and was told I had two options - (1), I could take the vehicle to a authorized dealer for repair, or (2), have my Santa Fe repaired locally, then take it to a authorized dealer to ensure the repair met their standards, and then hope to get reimbursed - which could take anywhere from three to four months. I do not believe Hyundai has done all they could do to remedy this situation. First, they never contacted me, even though I made the dealership in Michigan aware of our move to Nebraska. So Hyundai had our new address information. If I had been contacted, I could have scheduled an appointment in cheyenne, wy where I go at least once a month to meet with a few clients. Now my vehicle is damaged and I cannot drive it, which takes away from my livelihood. And to get it repaired, I need to pay for the repairs locally and hope Hyundai reimburses me, or I have to rent a trailer and take it to the dealership that way. Hyundai does not seem to value the time I've lost from work, the time I've lost from meeting with clients, and the additional expense I will incur with my two repair options.

- Sidney, NE, USA

Dec 082014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle started to leak oil after it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where it was diagnosed but was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Merrilliville, IN, USA

Jan 032015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the front driver side tie rod detached from the vehicle during acceleration. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- York, SC, USA

Dec 092014

Santa Fe

TL-the contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 09V123000 (suspension) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer and the manufacturer informed the contact that the part would not be available until approximately February of 2015. The contact did not experience a failure. Djr

- Wynantskill, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number 14V435000 (suspension). The contact indicated that the dealer and the manufacturer explained that a remedy for the recall had not yet been determined. The contact also stated that similar repairs had been performed on the vehicle in 2009. The mileage on the vehicle at that time was 62,635.

- Shortville, NY, USA

Nov 052014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V435000 (suspension) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to confirm when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Ashby, MA, USA

Jun 032014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the front driver's side strut spring fractured which caused the spring to cut into the front driver's side tire. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the front driver's side strut and the front driver's side tire were replaced. The contact stated that the failure recurred on the front passenger's side and the vehicle was repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V435000 (suspension), however the remedy was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Great Barrington , MA, USA

Oct 072014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Groton , MA, USA

Sep 222014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V435000 (suspension). The dealer advised the contact that there was no remedy available for the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the concern. The contact had no experience a failure.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Sep 222014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

We purchased this vehicle used in June of 2014 with 62,450 miles on it. The exterior and interior were in great shape. The vehicle was taken to a Hyundai dealer in July for an inspection of the rear suspension per a recall. At that time a complete inspection was done, with only a small oil leak found on one axle shaft. Two months later the vehicle was take back to the dealer for a recall for a broken spring. At this time a second inspection was completed. This time several issues were found from corrosion including leaking transmission lines, leaking engine oil pan, leaking boots at the front drive axles requiring them both needing to be replaced. The service manager at the Hyundai dealer stated he had never seen a vehicle with this level of corrosion. All components under the vehicle have extensive corrosion with apparently a rapid rate of deterioration. The vehicle is used only on-road being driven by our son to and from college. The dealer has no explanation as to what could be the cause of the rapid deterioration. All under body components appear to be vulnerable to this high level of deterioration. The dealer is willing to repair the vehicle but the dealer stated there is no way to tell what or when other components could possibly fail, such as the brake lines etc. Hyundai was contacted regarding the concern but stated there was no action they would take at this time. They did reluctantly agree to call the dealership to inquire with them about the extent of the corrosion.

- Canton, IL, USA

Sep 032014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle suspension was unstable causing the vehicle to wobble back and forth. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the sub frame and control arm were rusted to the point of a potential fracture and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was made aware of recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V435000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 152013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While backing out of my garage during the cold month of December I heard a loud bang noise from the front of the vehicle. As I was moving the noise continued as I got onto the driveway. I got out of the vehicle and noticed that the front passenger side of the SUV was lower than the driver side. I was not able to move the vehicle due to the loud noise that got worse if I turned the wheel. I called for a tow truck and had it towed to the repair shop. The repair shop informed me that the front coil spring had snapped and was embeded into the tire. I ended up replacing the coil spring with a good/used one which was still very expensive. I have pictures of the vehicle.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Oct 212013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I called Hyundai after having an issue with my rear tire and just purchasing 4 brand new tires. The rear of the vehicle looked bent and after not understanding why it appeared this way I looked up recalls. I was given a recall champagne #090 by Hyundai and told my vehicle was coved for repair. I brought the vehicle (unsafely) drove it 10-15 mph to the location to have it repaired. Approximately a month late the dealer contacts me and says that my vehicle is ready for pick up. I ask more questions about it and find out that they did the front frame of the vehicle and never even looked at the back! the dealer claims the champagne # 090 is for the front and the back frame is not covered. I went back and forth between Hyundai and the dealer and I was told by Hyundai it was covered but they never called the dealer directly. I was then told by Hyundai I had to wait for the regional office to contact me. I literally waited till December 16. 2013 and still ended up with no help from Hyundai. I did research and even being told afterwards that Hyundai gave me a incorrect champagne # I still should of had the rear sub frame repaired and any parts which it caused other damages, for example; the bushings and a new rear tire. I also have proof that all 2003 Hyundai santafe vehicles made from Jan 2003 through June 2003, which covers my vehicle. Any help from your company is much appreciated since my twin boys who are in college was using this vehicle.

- Bloomingburg , NY, USA

Apr 032014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My vehicle was recalled several years ago for rust in the front and rear suspension. It was apparently fixed by Hyundai just putting a undercoat painting to the suspension, my problem is that the car is showing rust spots in the front suspension. I think Hyundai should had replace the parts with new and rust proof parts instead of just putting undercoat painting. I know my vehicle is 11 years old, but I have kept it in very good condition with all service done at the dealer.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA