1. repaint the vehicle (5 reports)
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jul 012014

Santa Fe GLS 3.5L

click to see larger images

paint is wearing off paint is wearing off paint is wearing off

The paint on this vehicle is terrible. I have never seen paint just peel and wear off. This is only one of the multiple problems I have had with this suv. I will never buy another Hyundai product again.

- , Crestwood, KY, USA

Jan 012012

Santa Fe LX 3.5L V6

The clear coat basically turned white and began flaking off on all of the car surface. This looks horrible on a black vehicle. I had most of it repainted by the dealer in April 2012 but the rest of it needs repainting now.

I've never had this happen to a car that I've owned before. From 12/2004 to 6/2008, I resided in Michigan where the sun isn't really a problem for cars -- only rust is. From 7/2008 to the present I've been in New Mexico where rust isn't a problem but the sun is. For most cars, this just means a faded finish but for the Santa Fe, it meant destruction of the clear coat.

I think it's a defect but Hyundai disagrees. The car hasn't had much go wrong with it though besides the paint and I'm at 108K miles.

- , Los Alamos, NM, USA

May 012010

Santa Fe

The problem has gotten worst over time. The paint looks awful but I can not afford to get it repainted. I have talked to other owners of the same model and color and they too have the problem. I feel this was a manufacturing problem that they did not recall and fix. I will not buy from them again. I also had to have a new A/C compressor a month after my warranty expired, about 60,000 miles. At 65000 miles both my front windows would not work. Estimated cost about $1000 for parts and labor. This seems to be a huge amount of high cost problems that should not have happened at 65000 miles.

- , Vinton, LA, USA

Apr 022008

Santa Fe LX 3.2L

The paint job on my Santa Fe is ridiculous. The only place on the car that the paint has stayed on is the back hatch. Everywhere else it is pealing off. Mine is not the only. I see other Santa Fes driving all the time with the same problem. I really think the company should have to fix this. It makes it so hard to resale and the value drops with a bad paint job. I really wonder if their is any chance a new paint job is in my future for my car.

- , Ozark, MO, USA

Apr 032012

Santa Fe 3.2L V6

I recently traded in my 2004 Santa Fe, but I wanted to let people know the paint had oxidized all over the large areas. I started noticing it about 3 years ago and it steadily got worse. It was embarrassing to drive around in, but I noticed all the other older Santa Fes I saw on the roads were having the same issue. Other than that, she was a very good car for me...I put 205K miles on her. Miss her, she was comfortable to drive but the paint problem was a major issue with me. 8-(

- , Whitinsville, MA, USA

Jun 012013

Santa Fe 2.6L V6

click to see larger images

paint is wearing off paint is wearing off paint is wearing off

I bought this car new in 2004 with a $1200 "lifetime" guaranteed paint and clear coat protection plan. About 2 years ago I noticed the paint beginning to flake and it now covers about 40% of the body.

So far Hyundai has failed to be of any help at all.

- , Nanaimo, BC, canada

Aug 012012

Santa Fe V6

I first noticed the paint on the roof was wearing thin. Gradually the paint has failed on the fenders, hood, and the upper part of the doors. It shows up as white dots and now has completely oxidized. My car is garaged when not in use and has been waxed often.

- , Cedar Hill, MO, USA