2005 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

May 182016

Santa Fe

This started about 2 months ago. While engaging the brakes at low to moderate speeds, it feels like the ABS system is engaging but the braking is weak. I have to disengage and then reengage the brakes, sometimes multiple times for them to work. Research on the web indicates this exact problem for the 2004 model year is under a recall. It needs to be extended to include the 2005 model year.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 222016

Santa Fe

When the brake is applied at low speed, the anti lock braking system clicks in, extending the stopping distance. My son drove the car and nearly crashed into another vehicle as he couldn't stop. He was driving on a city street. There is a recall for this problem # 065 on 2003-2004 model years but clearly the problem extends to 2005 model year.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Jun 272015

Santa Fe

When driving on the freeway and somebody got in front of me I push the break pedal and my breaks will not engage after that I relies the breaks I did it again had to pump the breaks a couple of times for the brakes to engage, I took the car to the mechanic and they told me that the computer marks an error on the ABS system, after doing research on the internet I learn that the same model got recall for the same issue I am having just jump my manufacture year 2005 and went to the next year.

- Oklahoma , OK, USA

Feb 282015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When pressing on the brake it vibrates and acts like something is going to brake with crunching noise sound and I literally have to take my feet off the brake. The accelerator is doing the same thing it has the same noise when pressing on it. This is something that is very dangerous and should be addressed. I have talked to two different places that fix cars and they said that they could not find anything wrong. This happens periodically when driving but it manages to do so everyday. This is puzzling to me and I feel that this problem should be addressed. Problem being checked into can save a life. Brakes and accelerator are two very dangerous problems when you driving on a street or highway. Someone needs to look into this situation, because it is not fun and games driving this vehicle, in fact it is scary and I am tired of being scared to drive this vehicle and tired of complaining about this vehicle being unsafe. As this vehicle was made by Hyundai you should have compassion enough to find out where this is coming from. People are not just making this up. This is really happening. Take responsibility and look into this problem. Just purchased this vehicle 02/28/2015.

- St. Louis , MO, USA

Mar 112015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Unable to depress brake pedal. This is the third time in twelve months that this has happened. Last May 2014 I was in grand rapids Michigan going about 45 and the same thing happened I kept moving over to a clear lane on my left trying to depress the brake and had to turn into the median and do a U- turn, the car rolled to a stop. I got out and checked under the pedal and there were no obstructions. I checked the brake fluid reservoir at the master cylinder and it was full. I got back in the car and tested the brakes and found them to work. I called my Hyundai dealer and had them look the car over and they had no explanation. Yesterday I was in stop and go traffic approaching a line of traffic and the same thing happened, I did not think to use the emergency hand brake but the good news no damage...updated 03-16-15 also, the front spring was replaced and the air bag light has since illuminated.

- Holland, MI, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

This has been a repeated problem for a long time. Early on I would have a brake lamp light that I would be told was out. We would take the light bulb out and reinsert and it would fix the problem. We assumed it jiggled loose. Then, at a later time, I would be told that the other brake light was out, and we would repeat the process and take it apart and it would amazingly start working again. Beginning in November 2014, taking the light apart no longer fixed it, so we checked and replaced fuses and lightbulbs, but it didn't fix it. Up until this time, the right brake light would go out and then it would be the left one intermittently. Then, as of December 2014, neither brake light works and the third brake light in the rear window has five small bulbs that stay lit at all times, but currently the third light in the rear window is the only light that comes on while applying the brake.since it is apparently not the lamp or the fuse, I'm wondering if my vehicle is included in the Hyundai recall no. 092, a stop lamp switch recall, or any other recall pertaining to this issue, since I am reading a lot of complaints on this same issue? I am afraid that I am going to be in an accident since it is an intermittent and now, apparently, full-time problem. Please advise because after talking to several repair shops, they are not sure what is going on. Thank you!

- Owasso, OK, USA

May 302014

Santa Fe

Dear safercar, a letter was sent by me to Hyundai motors in regards to a safety issue with our 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The issue is that our car fails to start at various time or has engine failure while driving. We purchase this car from an elderly friend who had the car in the repair shop for the same reason we are writing this letter. She was told after all attempts at repairs that the car was not repairable and this was just a characteristic of this make and model. The response we received from Hyundai was that it is unfortunate but we should never have purchased the car from a friend and the responsibility for repairs lies with us at our expense. We feel that the issue is not our purchase but the heartless negligence of taking advantage of a 80+ year old lady, who had no one to back her up. I feel that the potential for loss of control of the vehicles steering and or brakes and acceleration while at highway speeds is critical to our safety. The engine has failed to start and stopped at various time and situations. Please inform us if there is any recourse for us and our situation. Ps this car was under warranty and was never repaired by the dealership. Hyundai also contends, in their reply that it is unfortunate that the dealership is no longer active and there are no records that can be recalled. How unfortunate for us!!!!

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Oct 302014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

On Thursday-October 29,2014 I had a tire blowout. Then on Friday, October 30,2014 my brakes went out. This is my second time putting on brakes with this vehicle so often. And out of all of my vehicle ownerships I have never put brakes on before.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 012014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle jerked and the contact would have to depress the brake pedal firmly in order to stop the vehicle. The failures occurred on numerous occasions. An independent mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Troutville , VA, USA

Jul 152014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was applied and the brakes failed to engage causing the contact to crash into a curb. The contact was not injured. In addition, the failure caused the front driver's side tire to be pushed backward. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the tire arm, rim and the brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,345...updated 08-26-14 updated 09/5/2014

- Centereach, NY, USA

Aug 012011

Santa Fe

Brake lights did not illuminate. Stop light switch fail, $25 part. Recall campaign for later model years 2007-2011 Santa Fe's.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Jan 182013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact was previously involved in a crash that was unrelated to the braking system however, after the vehicle was repaired following the crash, the contact was advised that the brakes needed to be adjusted because after bleeding the brakes, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact was ot aware of the exact repair needed to correct the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 48,000. ## VIN failed ##

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 212012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Both front and rear brakes have been repaired within last 6 or 7 months; however, front brakes pulsate (like ABS is engaging) when braking at low speeds for the past several months even before and after brake repairs. On Dec 21, 2012, I dropped off my grandson at school and went to park on a street next to the school. The front brakes pulsated when braking to park (about 4 miles per hour) and then the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and I lost all braking power -- coasted to a stop (about 10 feet). I suspect the ABS control module is bad for some of the 2005 models. The 2003 and 2004 year model ABS control modules have been recalled but apparently not for the 2005 model years.

- Vienna, VA, USA