2007 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 102016

Santa Fe

While driving, "check engine" light illuminated. "low fuel" warning light illuminated. Fuel gauge indicated nearly empty even though tank was close to half full. Check engine" light always illuminated.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 132016

Santa Fe

Friday, Aug 12, I parked the car around 6:30 pm. Around 8:40 am, Saturday Aug 13, neighbors rang my door bell and banged on the my door. The Santa Fe was on fire. My insurance company found no evidence of arson. The car parked for around 14 hours caught fire. Researching online, I found numerous comments from other Hyundai owners who faced a similar experience.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 102016

Santa Fe

While driving at any speed while turning left or right car shuts off. Happened on the street and highway. Also while coming to a stop tranny keeps trying to push forward while trying come to a stop. Went to dealer I was completely ignored me like they didn't want to know about

- Hackensack, NJ, USA

Mar 302016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the check engine and the ESC warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was restarted and the check engine warning light remained illuminated. In addition, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the ESC warning light illuminated and the brakes engaged independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Ethridge, TN, USA

Aug 232015

Santa Fe

I was traveling to a friend's house on wyda way in sacramento county. I was getting ready to stop at a stop sign and had my foot on the brake. Suddenly, I felt my car being pushed from behind, and then I heard a loud acceleration noise. Right after that moment, my car accelerated on its own and would not stop. I had my foot on the brake the entire time and also tried moving the gear shift lever. It would not move and the car kept accelerating. I thought I was going to die.the next thing that occurred was a horrible collision, resulting in my car hitting another car which hit another car. I sustained serious injuries as well as two fatalities and other injuries in the two cars that were hit. I was taken to uc davis hospital in sacramento where I stayed in the icu for two days and then for an additional two days in the hospital. I was driving a runaway car with no way to stop it.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 202015

Santa Fe

We had to replace the alternator before it was recalled.

- Mount Morris, NY, USA

May 082015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Leaving my home to travel out of town, the engine light came on. After having a diagnostic test completed I was told the sensors in the gas tank are malfunctioning (P0464) and this is a known issue with 2007 Hyundai sante fe models. The gauge telling me how much gas I have is not reading correctly due to the sensor malfunction and can cause me to run out of gas at any time. The dealer refuses to do anything about it without charging me a $98 "diagnostic fee" even though the diagnostic was done elsewhere. I have an extended warranty on this vehicle but they refuse to honor that as well.

- Dublin, OH, USA

May 012015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Hyundai dealer informed me that valve cover gasket is leaking onto alternator which will cause it to fail. Estimated out of pocket cost to repair is over $700. This is the same problem that caused the recall on the Hyundai vera cruz. I'm afraid that the alternator will fail at speed causing loss of power and diminish braking and steering capability.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Apr 282015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the check engine light, battery light, ecs light, and ABS light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the crank shaft position sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 83,100.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Feb 262015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Warning light came on while driving vehicle indicating an electrical problem. Was able to drive home, but next day car would not start due to drained battery. Battery was then recharged and car driven to local Firestone store for diagnosis. Was determined that the alternator was not working properly due to oil that had leaked from the front valve cover gasket. The alternator was heavily caked with this oil/grime. After installing new valve cover gasket and alternator today, car now runs fine. This problem seems to me to be identical to that described in Hyundai's recall number 121 which covered certain veracruz models (NHTSA campaign number 14V415000) and therefore I believe that the recall should be extended to cover at least my car and probably others.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 102014

Santa Fe

I read in a previous complaint, and just personally confirmed it myself, that Hyundai issued a safety recall (NHTSA campaign number 14V415000) for 2007-2012 veracruz vehicles with the lambda mpi engine to correct an oil leak from the front valve cover gasket that saturates the alternator and causes the alternator to short out. The recall also states that "an unexpected failure of motive power while driving increases risk of a crash". the same exact thing is happening in Santa Fe's. my car shut down on me while driving 35 mph and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. I found out that my car had an oil leak from the front valve cover gasket that spilled onto my alternator and shorted out my alternator, which need to be replaced, and this ultimately killed my battery. So new alternator, new battery, and new gasket cover. This engine oil leak is so dangerous and should not be happening. There should also be a recall for this issue in Santa Fe models which have the same engine.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Dec 282013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The front valve cover gasket on the engine has failed. Engine oil is leaking onto the alternator. This creates a significant risk for alternator failure and potential loss of power while driving.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Dec 162014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I recently learned that Hyundai had issued a safety recall (NHTSA campaign number 14V415000) for 2007-2012 veracruz vehicles with the lambda mpi engine to correct an oil leak from the front valve cover gasket that saturates the alternator and causes the alternator to short out. If this happens while driving the car can quit on the driver. Our 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe uses the same engine and we are experiencing the same symptoms (I.e. oil leaking from front valve cover onto the alternator), so I called Hyundai to see about getting this issue fixed under this recall. Hyundai customer service told me that because my vehicle was not covered they would not cover this issue. It seems that Hyundai should have to correct this for all vehicles that use the same lambda V6 engine, not just a select few. If it is dangerous for veracruz owners, how is it not dangerous for Santa Fe owners with the exact same engine and symptoms? I would like to see this safety recall expanded to cover all vehicles that use this same engine.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Dec 012012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 70 mph, the engine seized. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed an oil leak that damaged the alternator, battery, and computer chip. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

2007 Santa Fe limited 6 cyl 3.3L. Oil is leaking from valve cover gasket killing the alternator and battery and the motor. Lights flash on dash seat belt light, battery light, ESC, TPMS. Replaced battery in the dark at first. I saw the same issues with a new battery. Then researched and saw similar issues pointing to valve cover gasket leaking oil onto alternator. I checked the valve cover in the light and saw the leak immediately and the alternator covered in oil. If the 2007 vera cruz is getting a recall for this exact same issue as of Aug 1st 2014, then the 2007 Santa Fe should as well as other years of Santa Fe's. dealership wants $900 plus tax to fix this. Also had to replace the fuel sending unit -that was $700 in Jan of 2013 and there are tons of complaints about that one too. I still smell gas when I fill the tank full and the check engine light comes on due to this. I can and have proven it using a obd code reader to reset the code, fill the tank and bingo code is back like the fuel cap is loose but it is not and the interior smells of gasoline till the fuel level is reduced.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 302014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

On Wednesday, July 30th, 2014, I was driving on the freeway in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with my family and children on board at 60 mph when all of the warning lights on the dashboard flashed on at the same time. The vehicle started to shake, the engine stalled and both the steering and brakes suddenly became very heavy to operate. Luckily I managed to veer off the freeway before it completely shut down on a live high speed lane and ordered a tow truck from my auto club. The Hyundai dealership technician advise that the cause of this breakdown was an oil leak from a valve cover gasket onto the alternator, causing it to fail. The battery was also affected by chain of event. This cascading chain of breakdown is a systemic failure and this defect is not particular to only my car but is rampant with the Hyundai Santa Fe owners. Any internet search with " Santa Fe 2007 leaking valve cover gasket " will turn up countless results. It is also the same type of failure that has already been recalled from another Hyundai SUV, the veracruz as it was built on a Hyundai Santa Fe platform. I was lucky that I didn't come to a complete dead stop without warning on a live freeway lane at a high rate of speed as the result would have been catastrophic for all involved. Link to Hyundai veracruz recall with the same problem. kind regards,

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Aug 232014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The drive axel broke while the car was doing approximately 5 mph. When it broke, the ball joint pulled out of the right side wheel, a piece of metal flew up and tore the serpentine belt. There is a recall #112 for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe that the drive axel can break but I was told it does not affect my car. How does the drive axel just break. The recall affects the front right axel. Prior to it breaking, I was going down I70 at 70mph, thankfully, it didn't break at that time.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Aug 202014

Santa Fe

While traveling on expressway at 65 mph our 2007 Santa Fe suddenly lost all power and we had to pull over to the emergency lane. A defective valve cover gasket leaked oil on the alternator causing it to short out and be damaged beyond repair. Hyundai have a recall (#121) on the 2007-2012 veracruz for the exact same problem. Clearly the Santa Fe needs to be included in the 121 recall. My family and I were placed in danger as we were in the left lane on a busy expressway and had to quickly merge over to the emergency lane on the right side while quickly losing speed. Additionally, the cost of repair was $750 for the alternator and gasket cover replacement.

- Grafton, WI, USA

May 122014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

As I was driving is a rain storm, my battery light came on. I lost my window defrosting capability, my lights dimmed and I had no power steering. I am not sure what else was affected at this time as I was just concentrating on getting home alive. When home, I opened the engine compartment and found that the crank shaft pulley had come apart. Lucky, it was laying on a small ledge in the car. This could have fallen off, damaged the engine compartment, fallen to the street and become a rolling piece of metal. If a woman had been driving(this is actually my girlfriends car), this would have been a dangerous situation.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 152013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

My crankshaft vibration damper failed. It literally broke into two pieces. It left me unable to steer the vehicle. Fortunately I was stopped at a light on a two lane (each side = 4) road. I was in the left lane, however, and had to maneuver the vehicle to the right and off the road. If I had been on the highway doing 70 who knows what would have happened. I consider myself lucky. This is dangerous and should have been a recall item in my opinion.

- Bentleyville, OH, USA