2007 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 072014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The vehicle suddenly loses all power and pressing the accelerator doesn't rev the engine. The "ESC off " & "check engine" light comes. This has happened while driving on the freeway. After stopping and switching off engine and restarting it is ok. The air bag "red light" is on.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 172013

Santa Fe

Fuel sensor not working correctly. After filling up fuel level reads zero. Fuel level fluctuates between full and empty. After code testing it is revealed that the fuel level sensors are bad. Just about everyone I know seems to be having these problems.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

May 312014

Santa Fe

As I was driving the clutch pedal suddenly dropped to the floor from underneath my foot. Then the car started to accelerate, even though my foot was on the brake and over the clutch. I was luckily able to get it back under control without hitting anyone, and get it pulled over, but it wasn't easy. Having a friend and 2 babies in the car with me, it was fairly terrifying. We got it pulled over and stopped, and finally got the clutch moving up to put the car in neutral and turn it on and off again, but we never did get it back into gear so we had a tow truck come clear it from the road. Never would have expected anything like that, let alone on a car with only 68000 miles.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 092014

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge was not registering correctly the amount of fuel in the tank. We would fill up the tank and the gauge would read empty. Investigated and found that GM vehicles had the same issue in many models from 2005-2007. They were recalled, there is no recall to date for Hyundai vehicles with the same problem. This issue could be extremely dangerous, people don't have any idea how much fuel is in their tanks and they can inadvertently run out of fuel on the highway or on rural roads. I have the sensors that were removed from our vehicle. I am guessing car manufactures probably buy these parts from the same company. So why weren't all vehicles with this sensor recalled? or if they don't buy them from the same company then around the 2007 time frame a lot of sensors were bad. We paid around $500 to get our vehicle fix because we had to travel 400 miles and did not want to run out of fuel on the interstate, that has many semi trailers traveling it.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 182013

Santa Fe

Own a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 94K miles. Gas gauge erratic. Sensors bad. Asked Hyundai if they were considering a recall on the gas sensors since it is a very common problem with this make and model. They basically gave me the" sorry about your luck, but no..." response. The gas tank door stopped working as well so I use the manual pull in the back compartment of the vehicle to access my tank. Would get it fixed but my local dealership is horrible. Trying to figure out how to change them myself. The tail light design on the 2007 is not as visible as it should be. I get many honks and middle fingers when trying to turn. Had the lights looked at many times and they passed inspections. I did notice the tail lights are now different on the newer models.

- Port Tobacco, MD, USA

Mar 012014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel system gauge sensor was not reading the actual fuel levels. When the fuel tank was filled halfway, the fuel level gauge would malfunction and display that the fuel tank was empty. The dealer stated that the fuel system sensor would be replaced. The manufacture was not alerted of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Salisbury , MD, USA

Jun 122013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel level gauge was displaying erroneous fuel level readings. When the fuel level was at half full, the fuel level gauge would read empty. The check engine warning light would also illuminate shortly after the failure occurred. The dealer was contacted and advised that the fuel system sensor would need to be replaced. The manufacture was not alerted of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Sailsbury , MD, USA

Feb 042013

Santa Fe

The gas gauge in my car suddenly showed empty about a year ago when my car only had about 80K miles. My gas light is also on and actually caused me to fail my NJ state inspection a few weeks ago. I have only a few days left until my time is up to get it repaired. The mvc rep had provided me with two codes, P0463 and P2068, which both point towards a problem with the fuel sender(s). There seems to be numerous 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe owners with the same problem. There should be a recall on this matter! I have stopped twice in the middle of the road because my car ran out of gas. This is extremely dangerous for the passengers and motorists. There should be a recall!!!!

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Nov 072013

Santa Fe

I went to the dealer to have recall issues corrected and another customer brought his same year vehicle with the same issues in for his recalls. I heard him tell the service guy the exact same issues I was having. They pulled my car around and when I got in the car the ESC light was still on so I went back in to ask about it and he pulls it up my info and tells me the production date did not qualify and that it's the brake switch. He then shows me the production date for the other customer and uses it as an example as to how it's based on when the car was built. He explains why it happens and the danger in it so I stop him and ask him if it's just a coincidence that there's a recall for this issue. Any way you look at it the other customer had the same make and model and year as mine with the same brake switch recall problem yet it didn't affect my car and he looked at me and said the dealership wouldn't get paid for the work cause it wouldn't be reimbursed by Hyundai and if I call Hyundai and was real nice that they may allow it. I called and very nicely explained that my car was having the issues directly related to the brake switch and that a Hyundai dealership had inspected it and printed me copies stating that it was the issue for the recall and said there was nothing they could do. Obviously they are not taking responsibility to account for every single vehicle affected by there mistakes and further more after explaining to me the danger with it they don't care enough about my safety and have no problem sending me back on the street with the faulty vehicle the sold me. If there's anything you can do to look into it and help out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

- Lawrenceville , GA, USA

Nov 022013

Santa Fe

Several days ago my check engine light came on and the fuel gauge started acting erratic. It would read properly then read empty then read half full. The diagnostic code came up that it was the fuel sending unit. This is a $4-500 repair and my car is just outside of the warranty. After research online it appears that this is a very common problem with the 2007 santafe and seems to happen around this mileage. I think that a recall needs to be issued for this common problem. It is a safety issue. The replacement parts they now use for the problem have obviously been upgraded so there was a definite problem.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 242013

Santa Fe

Check engine light came on, I took it to my mechanic who informed me its the fuel sensors. The one on the fuel pump and one on the gauge. My gas gauge will fluctuate to full then empty. I was told eventually the vehicle will shut down. Costs about $500 to repair. I just purchased my vehicle 5 weeks prior as used with 50320 on the odometer. I have a limited warranty through the dealer and an extended warranty as well. Neither warranty covers this problem. I am seeing that a lot of people have the same issue with these vehicles. It is a safety issue because you don't know how much gas is in the tank plus what happens if my vehicle totally breaks down in the middle of no where.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Mar 012013

Santa Fe

Last March I noticed the check engine light on and the vehicle hesitating to stalling out when cold and accelerating. This is worse the colder it gets outside. Also when driving you can feel a hesitation/missing going on, almost like the gas isn't flowing steadily into the engine. And recently my gas gauge is not showing accurately what is in the gas tank. I'll fill up and it still reads empty with the low fuel light on and check engine light on. It'll eventually after few start ups start to "supposedly" display the correct gas amt on the gauge. I reset my trip meter to measure how many miles on the tank so I don't run out. But the stalling on acceleration is a big issue. This could happen at a light or stop sign and end up causing an accident. I've read on this sight others having same problem.. I had same problem with a GMC Envoy, about the same year as my Hyundai, GMC made good on the problem and covered the expenses as they had a "silent" recall on that issue. Hopefully Hyundai will be doing the same, we'll see after Thursday night.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Aug 012012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel door latch switch on driver-side door will not upen fuel door on occasion. Happening more frequently lately. On-line search shows this is a common problem w this model. Is anything being done by manufacturer to fix this?

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Aug 012013

Santa Fe

Similar fuel gauge prob I have read on this site-----fuel gauge shows empty and indicator light is illuminated when tank gets below half full.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Aug 162013

Santa Fe

Two weeks ago, I started my car and was shocked to see the fuel gauge way below "E" and the light had turned on, along with the "check engine" light. I was afraid I had neglected to get gas, even thought I was pretty sure that when I left the car the night before I was over a 1/4 of a tank. I made it to the gas station and fueled up. I only put $20 in at the time, because I was in a hurry. I got in, started the car and I was up almost full, which is nearly impossible on $20 in a Santa Fe. It turns out I had plenty of gas in the tank and the gauge wasn't registering it properly. This has happened several times in the last two weeks. It's almost like the car needs to "warm up" before the fuel gauge actually registers the amount of gas correctly. And the check engine light continues to go on and off intermittently. I am concerned that problem could worsen with time and will effect other systems in the car. I am also concerned that I may actually run of out gas and be stuck somewhere with my child because the gauge isn't accurate and like all human beings..I can't always remember the last time I fueled up.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Jun 012013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine warning indicator illuminated consistently and the fuel gauge reading began to fluctuate. In addition, an odor of fuel emitted inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic who stated the failure was contributed to a faulty fuel level sensor. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximately failure mileage was 89,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- High Point, NC, USA

Apr 242013

Santa Fe

Vehicle is experiencing fluctuating fuel gauge readout due to premature failure of fuel level sensors. Failed sensors have set off a "check engine light". in the event of a "check engine light", the vehicle fails to pass state emissions inspections.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

May 222013

Santa Fe

Fuel sensors have gone out and fuel gauge fluctuates between empty and 1/2 tank. Causes engine light to come on. Known issue, yet no recalls or acknowledgement from Hyundai.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Mar 182013

Santa Fe

Cruise control would turn on but not allow a speed to be set. Also ESC off light remained on dash solid. We never received any notice of a recall from Hyundai. I see numerous other Hyundai owners who have had this problem.also the check engine light has been on and won't turn off no matter how many times the cap is taken off then put back on after three turns. Fuel reads empty when tank is full.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Aug 152010

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel gauge fluctuated and provided incorrect readings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the fuel tank sensors would have to be replaced. Additionally, there was a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The fuel sensors were replaced but the fuel odor continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Albany, NY, USA