2007 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 152011

Santa Fe

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe air bag sensor light stays on all of the time.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jun 022010

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they informed the contact that there was a wiring malfunction within the steering column. The technician also advised that in the event of a crash, the air bags could possibly not deploy. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was also contacted and offered no assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. Updated 03/16/11 the consumer also stated the headlights went out and have been replaced 10 times or more since the vehicle was purchased. Also, the passenger front door was not locking/unlocking periodically. The consumer believed the vehicle had an electrical problem. Updated 06/03/11

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Oct 102010

Santa Fe

This complaint refers to the SRS airbag system in the Santa Fe. While the airbag system is intact I have been told by a certified Hyundai repair center that the clock spring and the junction box have failed. Given the premature nature of this failure I believe that this system is flawed and represents a widespread hazard to the american public. In addition, all four brake rotors and the sway bar needed to be replaced with less than 70,000 miles due to excessive wear which rendered them unsafe (according to the aforementioned center).

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Aug 012010

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 5 mph the air bag light illuminated on the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where she was informed that the air bag needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure continued to recur. The failure and current mileage was 73,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Russell Springs, KY, USA

Mar 292010

Santa Fe

I own a 2007 Santa Fe with 30,000 miles. When I am seated on the passenger side the air bag sensor will state that it is inoperative, not recognizing me as a passenger. I weigh 134 lbs which should be more than enough for the air bag sensor and I am really concerned since the front airbag will not work in the event of a crash. That could result in an injury to me or someone of similar size. I have talked with two dealerships about this issue. Both recognized the issue as a common problem. The first dealership told me that nothing could be done unless Hyundai issues a recall like they did for the sonatas (see campaign id 08V161000). The second dealer offered to replace the seat (which they did back in 2009), however that has did not solved the problem at all. Please consider researching this issue as Hyundai has recognized this problem with the sonatas already and it is the same issue in the Santa Fe models.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 222010

Santa Fe

When my wife is seated in the passenger seat the air bag sensor will not recognize that a person is occupying the passenger seat. My wife weighs approximately 140 lbs. This has been a regular problem for the last few years and has not gone away. It is the same problem as the current NHTSA campaign (08V161000) for 2006-2008 Hyundai sonatas for which Hyundai has issued a recall. We have visited multiple dealerships and they have all told us this is a common problem with the Santa Fe, however since Hyundai has not issued a recall there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a very dangerous problem as both the front and side passenger air bags will not deploy in an accident which could result in serious injury or death to a passenger. We currently own a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with 37,000 miles.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 012007

Santa Fe

2007 Hyundai santafe - passenger side air bag indicator light shows that the air bags are sometimes turned off when an adult weighing 125 lbs is in the seat. Problem also occurs periodically when a 150 lb adult is in the passenger seat. We have requested that Hyundai repair this defect, but their dealer just runs a test and tells us that it "operates as designed". the problem does not occur when the same passenger sits in a 2009 santafe (at the same dealer, with the maintenance manager witnessing from the drivers seat).

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jun 072009

Santa Fe

Passenger air bag randomly disables and enables while passengers are sitting in the seat. This indicates that the passenger air bag is not working properly and is a significant safety hazard.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

May 022008

Santa Fe

Air bag warning light came on and remained on. First incident, May 2008. I have brought the car to the dealer three times for repair operations, and a few more times for diagnostic checks, but the problem persists. Attempts at repair have included replacement of the front passenger seat and the air bag system control module. Some of those repair operations seemed to work for a while, but the problem keeps returning.

- Cutchogue , NY, USA

Dec 232008

Santa Fe

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe was in a rollover crash on 12/23. None of the air bags opened. The car is a total loss.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 012008

Santa Fe

2007 Santa Fe taken in for the 2nd time today as the airbag indicator light is permanently on. The 1st time this happened (few months ago) they replaced the sensor, but it has happened again. At the same time, the 'beep' when locking the car disappears. Am concerned that the airbag will not deploy correctly.

- Port Moody, 00, USA

Oct 202008

Santa Fe

Air bag light is on for the third time in two years of ownership, dealer claims to have replaced a sensor on the second visit. I am concerned in the unlikely event of a frontal crash the air bags will not deploy. It also causes the alarm to go off 15 seconds after locking doors.

- Tampa, FM, USA

Dec 012007

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The front passenger side occupant system light illuminated when a 120 lbs. Adult was seated in the passenger seat. The dealer stated that the system was operating properly and there was no failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The current mileage was 7,800 and failure mileage was 100.

- Highland Heights, OH, USA

Jun 202008

Santa Fe

I have also had this problem on my 2007 Santa Fe limited (the airbag indicator and the alarm sounding for no reason at the same time). They both started happening at the same time. I have the airbag indicator illuminated in the lower right hand corner of the dashboard control panel. I took it to the dealership on this past Monday (23 June 2008) and they were able to see the error code. But could not determine what the actual problem is. So they cleared the error code, changed the oil, and washed it. The dealership told me to come back if it happens again. The funny thing about this problem is that it comes and goes. As I was driving to the dealership, the indicator went off. But once I got to the dealership and they went to check it, it came back on and stayed on. Well, it happened again the very next day. I called the dealership and they have instructed me to bring it in because this should not be happening. They have offered to put me in a loaner car while they investigate what is going on with my truck. Oh I forgot to tell you what happened after they cleared the code. After they cleared the code on the 23rd, the alarm does not sound when you press the control button twice. They disarmed something on the other day. I¿M thinking that they should do a whole system reset or something. I will keep you posted on what they find during my visit this evening or whenever my truck is returned to me. Here's the trick to the sounding alarm problem that I figured out. 1. arm the alarm. 2. wait for the 30 sec's for it to sound. 3. disarm the alarm. 4. arm the alarm. 5. all is well at this point with the alarm. I have found this to work for me. But it is a pain if you ask me. However, until there is a fix for it, this is a solution that works.

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Apr 042007

Santa Fe 6-cyl

1/26/07-took car in for 3,000 mile service actual mileage was 3,154. 4/4/07- took car in for air bag warning light on dash. Technician cleared all failed codes- rechecked codes to find all okay. Mileage was 6,138. ·4/6/07- airbag warning light on dash is coming on again. ·4/12/07- take car back to dealer to correct airbag warning light. Car was at the dealer for 3 days while they ordered and replace the module assy-air B. I again indictaed my conern on safety of bags deploying in an accident. Mileage was 6,391. ·5/12/07 ¿¿ air bag warning light is on again. ·5/14/07 ¿¿ contact dealer to schedule appointment for service on airbag system. ·5/16/07- take car in for service at 8:00am. Dealer is ordering a driver side airbag unit. They indicate that this will be in the week on 5/21/07. I spoke with the service manager (steve mountes) about my displeasure on this issue and my safety concerns. Steve did indicate that with this warning light illuminated on the dash, the air bags would not deploy. I again stressed my concern on the safety of the vehicle. I also discussed my displeasure that they would not provide a loaner car for today¿'s service. Steve indicated that a loaner would be provided when I bring the car in for the driver side air bag replaced scheduled for the week of 5/21/07. Service time was one hour. ·5/16/07- filed an electronic complaint with the NHTSA.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Mar 222007

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I own a 07 Hyundai Santa Fe. Ever since I bough the car in October I have had trouble with the passenger side air bag sensor. When I sit in the passenger side the air bag sensor either does not sense my weight and turns the air bag off or it actually turns the air bag on, but it fluctuates between on and off. I have read the manual, and I am sitting properly according to Hyundai instructions. I have taken the car to the Hyundai dealer, and the best they could tell me was sit in the back mam. However I do not think this is a reasonable response. I have read many other complaints about the same problem, and I fee the air bag or sensor is not working properly, and this is unsafe. One of the reasons I bough this car was the safety features, and it is disapointing that those features do not work properly, and yet Hyundai will not fix it. I fear that I or someone else may be seriously injured due to this problema dn I I do not feel it is reasonable to say "well sit in the back" soemething needs to be done about this. Please take my complaint into consideration. I strongly feel there is a problem and Hyundai is overlooking this. For my safety and the safety of others we all need help to get this probled corrected.

- Miami, FL, USA