2007 Hyundai Santa Fe steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Santa Fe

While driving through an intersection at approximately 40 mph my 2007 Santa Fe started to decelerate even as I pushed the gas pedal realizing something was wrong started looking for a place to pull over then all my gauges went crazy fuel gauge showed empty RPM gauge was showing 3000 RPM(engine was off) all dash lights came on and the engine would not start. Oil leaking from front valve cover had shorted out the alternator there for killing my battery. Repair was not cheap

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 062016

Santa Fe

Steering & suspension :front shock absorber leaking, the vehicle bounces too much, too difficult to control the vehicle. Front struts need to be changed. Ball joints had worn out very fast because front struts are not good. All lower arms and all tie rod end worn out.that change the wheel alignment, unable to control or steer the vehicle.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 232014

Santa Fe

The front right driveaxle broke, resulting in the front tire falling off. I had to replace the driveshaft, the ball joints, control arm, serpentine belt and alternator belt and pay for an alignment, for a total cost of $876.01. At the time of the incident, the vehicle was traveling at approximately 1 mph. 30 minutes prior to that, I was traveling at 70 mph with my family. Can you imagine your tire falling off at 70 mph? Hyundai has been contacted and has chosen to ignore my request for reimbursement. However, they have issued a recall for the 2013 for the same issue.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Aug 072009

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I have had this Santa Fe since 2008 and have kept up with the service on this vehicle. I have been in to the dealership many times for the same noise, and that is a clunking sound when driving at speeds between 15 and 25mph. When I drive over a bump in the road, it sounds like something is loose and rattles. And it feels like the steering is more aggressive since I had all that work done. I love my Santa Fe and have never had any problems, except for that noise in the front end. I have replaced the sway bar links and struts recently, because they told me that was the problem and I still have the same noise. I saw a tbs bulletin dated back in 2008 about the steering yoke could be making that noise too. And you can feel it in the steering wheel when you hit small bumps too.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Apr 162014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When traveling between 10-20 mph, the car unexpectedly will shift and accelerate for a brief moment. Then the lights on the instrument panel will flicker and the car will shut off, losing power steering and power train capabilities. There is no issue with the battery or electrical panel or the transmission. It has happened several times, always without warning.

- New Haven , CT, USA

Jul 302014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

On Wednesday, July 30th, 2014, I was driving on the freeway in my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe with my family and children on board at 60 mph when all of the warning lights on the dashboard flashed on at the same time. The vehicle started to shake, the engine stalled and both the steering and brakes suddenly became very heavy to operate. Luckily I managed to veer off the freeway before it completely shut down on a live high speed lane and ordered a tow truck from my auto club. The Hyundai dealership technician advise that the cause of this breakdown was an oil leak from a valve cover gasket onto the alternator, causing it to fail. The battery was also affected by chain of event. This cascading chain of breakdown is a systemic failure and this defect is not particular to only my car but is rampant with the Hyundai Santa Fe owners. Any internet search with " Santa Fe 2007 leaking valve cover gasket " will turn up countless results. It is also the same type of failure that has already been recalled from another Hyundai SUV, the veracruz as it was built on a Hyundai Santa Fe platform. I was lucky that I didn't come to a complete dead stop without warning on a live freeway lane at a high rate of speed as the result would have been catastrophic for all involved. Link to Hyundai veracruz recall with the same problem. www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm459247/rcdnn-14V415-5243P.pdf kind regards,

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Numerous visits to the local dealer from 2010 through this visit for clunking and banging of the suspension with concerns for safety. They begrudgingly replaced a tie rod in 2011 on one side, link assembly stabilizer on both sides, lower arm assembly on left - and now that right controller arm is faulty and could cause a crash they refuse to honor the warranty. When there are concerns of safety for over 3 years for the same issue I believe they need to launch a full scale investigation. Hyundai is in the news for other suspension failures. Obviously faulty/poor quality parts are known. Hyundai needs to live up to the 60,000 mile extended warranty I had, and the 10 year 100,000 warranty I still have. The wear ad tear on this vehicle is minimal (driven to work 6 miles roundtrip and easy freeway driving maybe once a month). In addition to the suspension my passenger visor fell off the ceiling and dangles unless duct taped. Way to go Hyundai.

- Dublin, OH, USA

May 122014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

As I was driving is a rain storm, my battery light came on. I lost my window defrosting capability, my lights dimmed and I had no power steering. I am not sure what else was affected at this time as I was just concentrating on getting home alive. When home, I opened the engine compartment and found that the crank shaft pulley had come apart. Lucky, it was laying on a small ledge in the car. This could have fallen off, damaged the engine compartment, fallen to the street and become a rolling piece of metal. If a woman had been driving(this is actually my girlfriends car), this would have been a dangerous situation.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Oct 102013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

At a slow speed while turning (either direction, as incident has occurred now 3 times in 10 weeks) vehicle loses all power to steer and brake. Feels like the car has died, however the battery and check engine light are on. When it resolved, the engine was still running, brakes and steering restored. First two times the power failure was momentarily. Third time the vehicle lost power for 3-4 minutes and stranded me while turning onto major road from my neighborhood with oncoming traffic. Had car towed to local Hyundai dealer who kept insisting they would need to see the vehicle fail in order to know how to repair it. I said not good enough, they need to find another method to trouble shoot and refused to pick up vehicle. Now the dealer is blaming the power loss on worn front tires and the ESC system cutting power to the engine, steering and brakes due to it sensing slippage. I'm not buying this explanation from the dealer, especially because of (1) the slow speed (no slipping tires in these three instances), and (2) tires have slipped on quick acceleration before without ESC system cutting power to brakes & steering, and (3) if this were the case, I would think ESC would be potentially dangerous and not designed to save lives! will file complaint with Hyundai America but I don't have much faith that they will be of help.

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 192011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Had a malfunctioning fuel gauge. Which read 1/4 tank of gas, with an empty tank. This happened after the gauge had been jumping from full to empty a few times. Now the cars steering is starting to go. The car will all of a sudden pull while going around a banking turn, in either direction! on turns the ESC will constantly go off, even on turns it never used to happen on. Also the passenger side visor has fallen off completely. The car only has 88,000 miles and this all started happening November 2011. Every time I bring it to my mechanic he says there is nothing wrong with it and it continues to happen. Yesterday there was a recall for cars being built by our manufacturer in the same year with the same problems, why was my car not recalled"???" 2007 Hyundai sante

- Greenlawn, NY, USA

May 132013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was making a sharp circle type curve to the right and the steering wheel completely locked up. I did not lose any power, the brakes worked fine, and no lights lit up on the panel. I am the original owner of the vehicle. The local Hyundai dealership as well as the Hyundai customer service rep at the corporate phone number were very unconcerned. I have been researching this problem online for the last couple of hours, and this appears to be a very common and very dangerous problem.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 052013

Santa Fe 6-cyl Diesel

The Hyundai Santa Fe was parked without the key in the ignition on a slight incline. My 7 year old grandson got in the vehicle first. He knocked the vehicle out of park. When the vehicle started rolling, I tried to get in but I couldn't with it rolling. It hit a van and my drivers door caught on the front of the van pushing my drivers door completely back. I was caught between the two vehicles. My 4 year old grandkids (twins) could have been behind the Santa Fe or another child since we were at a ball field. Now we notice the Santa Fe can be easily pulled out of park without the key in the ignition.

- Wedowee, AL, USA

Jul 302012

Santa Fe

My car has died 3 times after I turn. I have turned both left and right when this happens. I usually happens when I'm turning out of my driveway or onto another street/road as slower speeds. I lose power steering, my car dies and my battery light quickly flashes on with this happens. Once I turn the car off and turn it back on, everything works again. And no warning lights are on. This just happens to me sparatically. It has happened 3 times over the last 4 months. I've taken it in twice to the dealer. Once they replaced a part (sorry do not recall at this time). However it did it a few weeks after that was replaced, so obviously wasn't what was wrong with it. The second time they just told me they do not know what is wrong. And state they could help me, nor will it be covered under my warranty if it happens over 100,000 miles. I've now heard of others this has happened too.

- Lake City, MN, USA

Jun 032011

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I noticed the vehicle made a clinking sound when going over bumps; the dealer claimed it was a cd in the side pocket of the car. Second visit they claimed to inspect suspension and find nothing wrong. Third visit they reinspected suspension and replaced one piece of driver side suspension, fourth visit they inspected and replaced another piece of driver side suspension, fifth visit they realigned and did a wheel balance (which should have happened with repairs 3 and 4). Sixth visit they claimed they could not hear the clunk anymore, I am going into the seventh visit with the car still clunking and now the electronic stability control light turns on and off intermittently in everyday traffic under dry conditions at 20 mph. Each visit they tell me they will repair any damages that may be caused by a failure of a part - yeah right! in a poor economy they would rather I smash my car than have it for years (I only have 58000 miles on a 2007 vehicle).

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 282008

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Please conduct an investigation into numerous complaints regarding premature tire wear, suspension and steering in 2007 Santa Fe. I think they are connected and affect each otherby poor design or manufacturing process. Purchased as new vehicle in 12/2007. Noticed wobble in steering wheel a different speeds, conditions at 3K miles. Dealer found nothing wrong. Noticed rattle and klunking noise in left front when driving on uneven pavement at 12K miles. No dealer or mechanic could diagnose anything wrong. Replaced all 4 tires at 26K because front right tire worn to belt on inside. All wheels aligned at same time. Still had wobble, vibration at different speeds, accelerating, coasting, etc. Numerous balancing and rotations. Mechanic could not find anything wrong. At 31K, replaced sway bars and links, had wheels bearings serviced. Still wobbling, rattle in front end and uneven steering. At 32K, had wheel bearings repacked, another front end alignment, and all wheels, tires recalibrated to Hyundai specifications. Vehicle drove perfectly...for 3 days. All rattles, noises, wobbles, uneven steering problems returned. Going back to dealer 3rd time in 1 month. Rattle and wobble gets worse everyday. Don't feel safe driving this vehicle. I drive 15 miles to and from work on small expressway in austin, tx. No off roading, no pulling any trailers. Only hail damage to exterior. No front end collisions, engine problems or suspension damage before these problems were noticed. (small collision at 30,500K. I was at stop, driver in back rear-ended me at 5mph. My front end tapped car in front of me. Dealer body shop replaced front bumper "shock absorbers. No damage to frame or suspension. Is this a subframe problem, axle assembly issue or what? lots of comments/complaints on internet regarding problems like this. Again, I do not feel safe driving this car any further than to and from work. Cannot afford to trade in, buy different vehicle..

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 232010

Santa Fe

Loss of power steering when turning. Very hard to turn. At one point it took my husband to help me turn the steering wheel from the passenger seat. Has happened on several occasions. The vehicle has been to dealer numerous times for service for this problem but they are unable to correct problem or find the source of the problem.

- Westmont, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

Santa Fe

I was driving on the highway about 65 miles an hour and the front wheel locked up. The car pulled to one side, lost control, and went off the road. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was a sensor with the cruise control, the ESC, and something with the steering wheel.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 132010

Santa Fe

Follow up to complaints #'s 10319062-10319460-10319463. Vehicle power steering loss has been corrected by Hyundai dealer. Be advised that the cause for the loss of the power steering was (the pulley separated damaging belt). (balancer fell apart and balancer and belt were replaced). Vehicle only had 12,869 miles on it.

Mar 132007

Santa Fe

While driving in a southern direction I made a left hand turn in an eastern direction, as I was making the turn I heard a loud sound similar to the dropping of a heavy object and immediately afterward the power steering on my car went dead and the red battery light in the dash came on. I was able to pull the car to the side of the road and I stopped. The red battery light was still on, I than turned the key to turn the motor off and when I started the car again the red light was still on and I did not have power steering. As I was close to my home, I proceeded to drive home and park the car in the driveway, the power steering was not working and the red battery light was still on. Since this is the third time that I have experienced the loss of the power steering I am going to have the car transported to the dealers service shop for inspection. The first time that I experienced the loss of the power steering an inspection was made by the service mechanics of the dealer, and they after keeping the car several days could find nothing wrong. If these incidents would have occurred while I was driving on the N.J. turnpike I feel that the outcome would have been much different.

Mar 102010

Santa Fe

While making a right hand turn going from an eastward direction to a southern direction the power steering on my vehicle went dead, the red driver seat belt light came on and in a few seconds the power steering came back and the eat belt light went off. Traveling at a very slow speed in a rural area of town.. after incident I drove home without any problem.