2008 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Santa Fe

ESC light illuminates. Car looses power while driving, and stalls.

- St.Ann, MO, USA

Aug 032016

Santa Fe

While driving on a city street (approximately 35 mph), my car suddenly displayed the "check engine" light as well as the "ecs off" indicator and at that same time, I was no longer able to accelerate and my car slowed to a stop. I pulled off to the side of the road, turned the car off for a few minutes and then restarted with the same results. When I restarted, the "ecs" indicator was no longer lit, but the "check engine" light remained on until the deceleration occurred again and then both lights were illuminated. When I searched the internet for what could be the cause of this problem, I found that many others with this same make, model and year have experienced similar issues so I thought it was best to file a complaint.

- Lake Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 192016

Santa Fe

When I am driving, both freeway and city driving, the car will stutter slightly and then the ESC off light comes on along with the check engine light. When this happens I lose acceleration and have to pull over, turn my car off, wait a minute or two, and then restart the car. The ESC off light goes away and I once again have acceleration but the check engine light remains on. The problem often repeats itself during the same trip, sometimes 30 minutes later, sometimes just 2 minutes later. The stop lamp switch was replaced during the recall campaign 09V122 when the same problem was occurring. A few months ago this started again, it is all the same issues as I had before the stop lamp switch was replaced during the last recall. Because I lose acceleration with no warning and quickly fall to 20mph and below, I have to quickly pull over to the side of the road and do my best to avoid an accident which is difficult when you are losing momentum.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Mar 282016

Santa Fe

I had my Santa Fe serviced on 04/05/16 for fuel gauge sensor, was not reading appropriate gas level. I have only 72000miles and somthing like this should be a recall.I was told that happened because of the age of the car, which I don't believe.we owned 8 cars before sant fe and it never happened. It is a spendy repair of $388.99 marta

- Crystal, MN, USA

Feb 222016

Santa Fe

While in motion on the city street going 45 miles per hour the electronic stability control shut off. Lost the ability to accelerate and couldn't do anything else with the vehicle. Had to put it in park, shut off the engine and wait for 2 mins then restarted the car and it worked fine. But after driving a while longer the ESC shut off again. Had to repeat the process of turning off the engine and restarting the car again. While making a turn a little whike later it shut off again. Took it into the shop and they couldn't figure out what is causing the problem.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 062014

Santa Fe

My Santa Fe limited AWD 2008 was bought at the end of Feb 2009 and now has ~44K mileage. I had two similar incidents with my Santa Fe today (7/6/2014), which led to significant power loss and speed loss of the car on the road. The first time, I was driving on a local road at ~45 mph. Suddenly I felt the car lost the power and began to slow down. I stepped down on the accelerator, but the car could not accelerate (the speed dropped to ~20 mph). I saw 3 system indicator/warning lights on: The ESC off(electronic stability control) and check engine indicators had a steady light and the AWD system warning light was flashing. I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the car, waited ~1 minute, and then restarted the car. The check engine light stayed on, but the other lights went out. Then I drove the car to continue my grocery shopping (several stops, ~30 miles in total). The 2nd incident occurred on my way home. The same scenario except that I was driving at ~40 mph and going uphill at the time. The sudden power loss caused the car speed quickly dropped to ~10 mph and probably led the car behind mine to make a sudden stop to avoid a crash. Again, I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the engine, and then restarted the car with the check engine light staying on. After got home safely, I did some search online and found several similar incidents reported on Hyundai Santa Fe SUVS before (see the attached links below). So I decided to report this serious issue. The link of websites with similar incidents reported: 1. 2. (altosteph post) 3.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Oct 092009

Santa Fe

See attached email updated 06/04/2013 the occupant classification system (osc) does not consistently recognize small-statured adults, causing the passenger side air bag to deactivate when such person occupy the front seat. Also, there were problems with the transmission, a knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle, the vehicle shutting down, an issue with the throttle cable, and a whining sound upon acceleration.

- Ririe, ID, USA

Sep 122011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph and attempted to accelerate however, the ESC and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts and was coasted off road and shut off. After waiting a few moments, the vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The intermittent failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in motion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA