2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Aug 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge started bouncing from full to empty and we keep our tank above half most of the time. We went in to our local dealer and they said it is "normal" for fuel sensors to go out this early. Upon further pressing they said that it is happening on a lot of the Santa Fe's, but there was no recall at this time. 500-600 dollars to replace the sensors. For now we are just running it while filling up every time and keeping track of our mileage. These need to be recalled and fixed.

- Nampa, ID, USA

May 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Gas gauge fluctuates, and reads empty even when tank is nearly full. Appears to be the common fuel sensor failure that is well-documented on these vehicles. One forum suggested that everyone should report failures to NHTSA to apply pressure for a Hyundai recall, so add me to the list of frustrated owners.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Sep 112014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I see I am not the only one with a fluctuating fuel gauge sensor. I have been having this problem for the past six months. The sensor is always going up and down causing the fuel light to come on as well as well as the ck engine light. The code always indicates it is the fuel gauge sensor that is failing. According to what I have read, this car has two sensors located under the back seats. The dealer said it would cost me around $700 to get one repaired, but what's the use if they replace it with another Hyundai part that is defective as done to another complaintant on this site. This defect is obiviously a result of manufacturing so why does Hyundai delay in getting this issue resolved by doing a recall. This is also the result of Hyundai not taking due diligence in making sure they were installing a quality part. So why do we have to pay for their negligence?

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership and they said my fuel sensors to my sending unit needed replaced. Upon doing research I have discovered lots of other people with my same vehicle have had the same problem. What does it take for this part to be recalled" also after being referred to this website from my local news station I see that my complaint is one of the most common complaints on here also. Why has this sensor not been recalled"

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Dec 102013

Santa Fe

Like many other complaints I have read, the fuel gauge indicated empty when it was full. It would jump erratically from full to empty and in between. Cost over $550 to fix.

- Spring Lake Heights, NJ, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and took the car to the nearest dealership and the mechanic read the codes and said that it was the fuel sensor (fuel level sender). Since then, the fuel gauge continuously moves giving an inaccurate fuel level. I have researched this problem and found out that many others are having the same problem and the Hyundai company is not willing to do a recall on the parts affected. What does it take to get a company to recall a defective part?

- Wagener, SC, USA

Jun 202014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

After filling the gas tank at the pump and then starting the engine, I noticed that the dashboard fuel gauge indicated empty, with the "low fuel" indicator light on. Driving around for 5 miles did nothing to move the needle. After a day or so the gauge slowly worked its way up to register a full tank. This same problem re-occurred several times over 6-8 weeks, making it very difficult to know how much fuel was actually in the gas tank. At one point the "check engine" indicator came on and stayed on for a day and a half before turning off. Upon taking the car to the Hyundai dealership and explaining the problem, I was told immediately, before they even inspected the car, exactly what was wrong. The service manager said it was the fuel level sensors and that they've replaced "hundreds"..."it's a common problem with Hyundai". replacing two sensors cost a jolting $650, but I couldn't ignore the safety risk of never knowing when, where, and how I might run out of gas. When I asked why there hasn't been a recall issued, the sales manager said that there has to be a "safety issue" involved.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 142014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and the reading came back as a bad fuel sensor. Sounds like this is a common problem yet Hyundai is not willing to recall. Despite trying to keep track of how much gas I have I did once run out in the middle of an intersection and was lucky enough to get to a safe location. Hyundai knew what they were doing when they installed these, there's non point in replacing it without replacing the fuel pump as well. This car has given me more issue than any other car I've owned. First a cylinder misfire which was a bad coil pack, then I had to replace a purge valve and now this. I'm selling it back to the dealership asap.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe

The fuel level sensor in the tank began to fail, causing the fuel gauge to behave erratically. Fuel levels would swing wildly from full to empty. The cel was thrown, but not until after the erratic behavior was observed. Without a cel to warn of a problem, the driver may think they have fuel when they do not and potentially run out of gas. This would be a serious safety hazard at highway speeds. We've spoken with Hyundai and this is not a recall or even a tsb issue, despite the fact that the problem is well documented among owners of this vehicle. The problem is common and this vehicle should be recalled.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jun 092014

Santa Fe

My 2008 gas gauge is not working properly or reading the correct levels of fuel. When I fill the tank up, the low level indicator light illuminates and stays on for several days. The check engine light also illuminates. After several miles of driving (few days), both lights will go off and gas gauge works properly. Around the half tank mark, the indicator light comes back on showing empty and check engine light appears. I've taken the vehicle to dealership and they quoted nearly $800 to fix this problem. Even though they admitted that this is a common occurrence, there is no recall"?" this is very dangerous and should be investigated.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Jun 252014

Santa Fe

6/25/14, on interstate with cruise control at 65mph. Depressed the throttle pedal to pass a vehicle. Throttle stuck wide open. Applied brakes but kept on increasing speed. Depressed throttle pedal several times but no change. Turned cruise control off, no change. Turned key to acc and then back to on but no change. Turned key to acc and waited several seconds then back on. Throttle pedal started to respond. Pulled over and checked if floor mat was jamming throttle pedal. No problem, no jamming. Problem repeated again. Continued to destination and tried cruise control but it would not set. Turned cruise control off. SUV was parked overnight at destination. On return trip throttle and cruise control worked fine. 6/30/14, took SUV to ray brandt Hyundai, they found no codes set and could not duplicate the problem. It seems if both the throttle is wide open and the brakes are being applied then a code should be set.this is a major safety problem! the site below documents 3 additional occurrences:

- Harvey, LA, USA

Jun 022014

Santa Fe

The check engine light came on in the car, I took it to be diagnosed and it is a failure of the fuel level sensor. Apparently Hyundai is well aware of this very common problem and refuses to issue a recall. Additionally, the entire assembly is only sold together, therefore this is a fix that will cost at least $800 which I cannot afford. So now I just have to drive around with the check engine light on at all times, having no idea how much fuel I have or if any other engine issues have come up. Shame on Hyundai.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 122014

Santa Fe

My check engine light came on and when I got it checked it was for fuel level sensor. I also noticed shortly after I filled up with gas the gauge would go down and when 1/2 or less it would drop and gas light would come on. Took to dealership, while I was pulled into service center, car stopped and running, service tech saw gas gauge go down and light came on even though I had at least 3/4 gas. No longer covered under warranty and quoted me $605 to fix. Should be a recall since so many other owners have the same problem!!

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Jun 042014

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge doesn't seem to be working properly. When I fill up the tank it works fine but when its about half a tank, the low fuel light turns on and gauge reads empty.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 042014

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge and fuel sensor not working properly. The gauge registers less fuel than is in the tank. The gauge will indicate that the tank is empty when there's more than 1/2 a tank left, and the malfunction indicator light comes on. The issue occurs sporadically. It will register a false reading for several consecutive days with the warning light on even after filling up the gas tank, and then some days it will self correct and the warning light will turn off.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 082013

Santa Fe

Ok so my engine light has been on for months now due to a problem with the fuel sensor. I went to get it checked out and they qouted me a price of 800 dollars to fix the problem. It's ridiculous that this is not a recall considering that so many of there customers are having this same exact problem. It's sad that they would much rather wait til someone dies or crash to recall this issue.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 202014

Santa Fe

The 2008 Santa Fe traveling between 55& 60mph on divided highway would not slow down when I took my foot off of accelerator. I applied brakes but difficult to make vehicle stop. I think I slowed it down a lot but did not or would not be able to stop. It was like idle got stuck on high! after 20 seconds or so the acceleration returned to normal & I proceeded. It was scary ! first time this happened. I just had it in for service to replace to headlights & missing screw under front seat.

- Madison, WI, USA

Feb 282014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge on our 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe has recently become erratic. It fluctuates widely over the course of a few minutes with the check engine (on/off) and low fuel indicators also lighting periodically. After having the check engine light problem investigated, I was told there was a fuel sensor problem. Apparently his is a known issue on 2007 - 2009 Santa Fe's with Hyundai and dealerships via www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/Hyundai/santa+fe/fuel+system situation is not safe if this happens to someone (new to problem) when their fuel may be low, they may be driving along and stall in the middle of the highway or they may be in a remote area. NHTSA should investigate and have Hyundai issue a recall!

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Apr 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe that has been giving a false reading on the fuel gauge. The fuel hand shows that the tank is empty even though I just filled it up. I have noticed that the fuel gauge will sometimes go up and down depending on how my vehicle is setting at the time, but then goes below empty. It will not register a full tank of gas, the most it will show is a 3/4 of a tank. At first the engine light would come on and then go off, now it is lit all the time. This is very dangerous and needs to have a recall on this model by Hyundai..

- Omaha, NE, USA