2.2

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Feb 192014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel level gauge failed to display correct fuel levels. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Jul 212012

Santa Fe

In July of 2012 our 2008 Santa Fe began to show false readings of the amount of fuel present in the tank. Was told by dealership in colonial heights, va that they were aware or similar issues with gas gauges in Santa fes. Was told the fix would be around $800 or we could monitor fuel consumption/level using trip odometer. The problem with using the trip meter is that varying traffic conditions can cause this estimation to be completely inaccurate causing the motorist to be stranded on the roadway. Definitely a safety issue!

- Bracey, VA, USA

Jan 092013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel level gauge was providing erroneous fuel level readings. Additionally, the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the senor circuit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Jan 092013

- Ballston Lake , NY, USA

Jan 042014

Santa Fe

Gas gauge and digital display show empty when the car has just been filled with fuel. Upon starting the vehicle later in the day, the gauge shows 1/2 tank and the digital display reads 70 miles. I put 15.5 gallons of gas in and should have a full tank and over 270 miles.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Dec 182013

Santa Fe

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe limited fuel level indicator is fluctuating causing the check engine light to come on. Fuel level sensor would indicated and empty tank after the tank was filled and then randomly would correct itself. This has happened several times over the last two weeks.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 062013

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge on dash has begun fluctuating wildly even with full tank of gas. No check engine light yet but based on what I have read I am anticipating a problem code coming soon. My research is pointing to the fuel level sensor attached to the fuel pump. However, only the whole assembly appears to be available and as such, it is highly costly to correct. Hyundai should provide a recall for this due to the huge number of people experiencing the same problem. It has also been noted that this has caused vehicles to stall while on the highway - this hasn't happened to me yet but certainly increases my concern.

- Marlborough, CT, USA

Nov 042013

Santa Fe

Upon turning the engine on, my gas gauge showed empty when I knew there was more gas than that. Then it started to fluctuate up and down. I checked my range indicator and it was blinking the word "range" (which normally doesn't) and the numbers were dashes only. As I continued to drive my check engine light came on. It showed quarter tank then empty and back to some gas. The range indicator started going up and down in numbers as well. I put gas in just to see if it helped but didn't, showing about 30 miles fluctuation in the range indicator. I checked some forums and apparently it is a very common problem for Santa fes 2008 right as they reach 60,000 miles (as the warranties end and it costs over $600 to repair!). it is a dangerous issue that should be a recall, as it poses a very dangerous problem if a car runs out of gas on a highway or anywhere due to the faulty gas fuel level indicator!

- Irmo, SC, USA

Oct 172013

Santa Fe

Driving from my wife's work all the sudden the gas level gauge went to empty and engine light went on. The gas tank was 3/4 full. Drove 1/2 a mile and it marked 1/2 a tank, stopped at traffic light, went to empty again is been doing it form that day on. After taking car dealer I was told the repair is roughly $680. This is my 3rd Santa Fe that I purchased 2001 2004 & 2008 and I only encountered such problem with the 2008 I have seen various complains on such " problem" and why it should be considered a "recall" but the manufacturer seems ignore it.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with 40000 miles the fuel level sensor needs to be replaced. The fuel gauge is not accurate and is mostly reads that the tank is empty. It cost about $650 to replace. My opinion is that this is a safety issue and should be a recall. It also causes the check engine light to come on.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Santa Fe

I started my vehicle and the fuel gauge began to move up and down, showing empty, then over half full, then just under half. I switched to the mode indicating how many miles left until I would be out of gas, which also fluctuated by over 75 miles. This fluctuation is consistent and now is becoming a big concern in regards to longer trips my young family takes. This obviously is a known problem, based on the numerous complaints registered about this same malfunction. Should my family be stranded on a roadside, or worse yet, get into an accident due to this problem, Hyundai will be held responsible for negligence on their part to act on a known vehicle defect.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jun 102013

Santa Fe

Our used Santa Fe's warranty expired on April 28th, 2013. A month later, the fuel gauge and mileage reporting started to fluctuate wildly, and for the past month we've understood that the fuel sensor assembly is faulty. The accurate reporting of the fuel level is now impossible and it is clear to us that this will be at least a $600 repair job. Hyundai deflected our E-mails to them, so I encourage folks to also write a letter to them by postal mail. The address they gave us is Hyundai motor America P. O. box 20850 fountain valley, ca 92728-0850. It is ridiculous timing that this occurs after an expensive maintenance appointment and right after the second-owner warranty expired. A system like this should not fail with only 44K miles on a vehicle, and Hyundai can't convince me otherwise. This needs to be a recall, and owners who have gone ahead and done this repair for exorbitant fees need to be reimbursed. In recent news, asiana airlines represented the honor and integrity of Korean corporate culture, I'd expect the same from Hyundai who has thus far failed in their duty to the customer.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Santa Fe

Erratic fuel gauge for several months. Vehicle is out of warranty for this when I called dealership. Fuel gauge will go below 'E' to 1/2 tank in seconds. Sometimes when turning the car on, the gauge is below 'E' and will stay there for a while then go back up to gas level. Check engine light has come on saying there is a problem with the fuel system. Cleared code. It stayed off for week or so, and has come back on. I hope this becomes a recall...too many people with the same problem!

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jun 272013

Santa Fe

As noted in other complaints, my check engine light came on and my fuel gauge will not register the amount of fuel, it fluctuates from empty to a 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank. The fuel sensors are bad. There should be a recall for this. This is a known problem based on NHTSA complaints but yet it appears that Hyundai will not take action. This problem began right after I hit the 60,000 mile mark.

- Hickory, PA, USA

Mar 012013

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge intermittently fluctuates from empty to 1/4 tank. Digital display also not registering. After a few months of this, now the check engine light has come on and after diagnostic test it showed fuel sensors not working. Gas gauge not working at all at this point, becoming quite a concern because we never know exactly how much gas is left and finding that we are filling it up every other day just to be safe!

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Apr 052013

Santa Fe

My check engine light started coming on and going off. What I noticed was that it was in conjunction with my gas gauge indicating that I had no fuel (light came on and the gauge was on E) even after I had filled the tank. The situation seemed to correct itself until this week- not only did the check engine light come on and stay on, but the gauge continued to indicate that I had no fuel. Even more worrisome was the fact that when I went to put fuel in the tank, the gas pump cut off (indicating that the tank was full) after 3 gallons of gas. I knew that it should take more than 3 gallons to fill my tank, and so I took it to the mechanic. Diagnosis: Both fuel tank pressure sensors need to be replaced.... to the tune of $650 worth of parts/labor. I was advised that fuel sensors are not usually faulty, and so came to this website to see if there was a recall notice that I may have missed.

- Chester, PA, USA

Feb 182013

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge fluctuates and also causes the check engine light to go on an off.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Apr 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel gauge shows different measurements after starting the vehicle. Full tank of gas may show on the gauge as empty. The next time may show 1/2 a tank of gas. Have to track mileage to know when to gas up.

- Richboro, PA, USA

Mar 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Over the past two months or so my fuel gauge keeps fluctuating drastically. It started once I hit approx 62,000 miles. It is often inaccurate and frequently drops 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 tank for no reason. I cannot trust it at all. Its dangerous because I could run out of gas at any point without knowing what's truly in the tank. The only way to know is to track the mileage which becomes very difficult if more than one person is driving the car.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jan 172013

Santa Fe

The fuel guage including range and mileage features are erratic and create a false reading on the odometer dash readings. This is very dangerous as I can not tell what the true amount of fuel is left in the SUV. This is a known problem which Hyundai Corp. Has known about and refuses to announce a recall.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA