2008 Hyundai Santa Fe steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Jul 022015

Santa Fe

I lost power steering and power brakes while stopped at a stop sign going up a very steep grade. I was unable to shift into park so that I could turn my car off. I had to lay on the brake with all my weight to keep from rolling backwards into cars behind me. There were no warning lights. After a minute, which felt like much longer, I was able to shift to park and turn my car off and back on. The second time I lost all power, was a couple months later. I was going about 40 mph on a curvy hilly road. I was unable to steer, accelerate, decelerate, or apply the brakes. There were cars behind me and I was terrified I would end up off the road or heading into oncoming traffic. The vehicle finally came to a stop when it didn't have enough momentum to make it up a hill. I was able to shift into park and turn the car off and back on. Both times my infant was in the car with me. Thank goodness both of us were unharmed, because we could have very easily been hurt or hurt others. I was in a several thousand pound vehicle which was out of control. I had it towed to the dealership the next day as I refused to drive it. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal and said I needed a new alternator. Luckily, I had purchased an extended warranty which covered the alternator replacement.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Aug 192015

Santa Fe

Lost power steering, without warning. Luckily I was going slow crossing an intersection, and stoping. After that it was a losing tug of war with the steering. Mechanic found rack lines rusted and leaking. If I was traveling at any speed, I may have lost control. Very dangerous! please help prevent an accident or death.

- Sharpsville, PA, USA

Jul 242015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While I was driving along at approximately 25 mph in my Hyundai santafe the steering became very difficult and there was no throttle response. I stopped the vehicle completely in the middle of the boulevard street and put the vehicle in park and restarted the engine. I was very frightened during the incident that someone was going to run into the back of my car and that the vehicle would stop again before I got home. I refused to drive the vehicle again and followed my husband in another vehicle as he drove the faulty vehicle to the dealer the following day. The tech rep we spoke with at the dealer casually said the throttle positioning sensor was bad and if we wanted it repaired it would cost about $400. I couldn't believe they would let me leave the dealership with this malfunctioning part. The symptoms are the same as the General Motors ignition switch problem. I looked it up online and this seems to be a common problem with the Hyundai santafe. Where is the outrage" where are the recalls? is it going to take many deaths and 10 years to correct this problem like GM ignition switch problem? does somebody have to die before this is taken seriously" Hyundai management refuses to discuss this problem. I sincerely hope I can appeal to your sensibility and force this Korean company to address this dangerous problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 272013

Santa Fe

Front valve cover gasket keep leaking oil on to the alternator causing the alternator to go out. The second time it happen the core of the alternator burned.I have replace the alternator 3 times and valve cover gasket twice. Hyundai have a recall on the veracruz for this some issues but will not recall the Santa Fe for this issues.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Mar 242009

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving between 60-65 mph on normal road conditions, the vehicle vibrated excessively when accelerating and decelerating. In addition, the steering wheel began to vibrate. There were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection and they performed a four wheel balancing on the vehicle three separate times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on two more occasions for the identical failure, but there were no resolutions. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was not accepted by the system. The failure mileage was 100 and current mileage was 2,000.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA