2009 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 172013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When entering an up-ramp to a limited access highway at slow speed, less than 30 mph, and turning to the right, the engine suddenly died and power was lost to steering and brakes. We were able to pull off the road and restart, but were just lucky that this didn't happen on a curve at high speed or in heavy traffic. Took the car to the dealer the next day, and they were unable to repeat the problem.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jul 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was a passenger in the vehicle when it crashed into a fire hydrant doing approximately 40mph. The seatbelt failed to lock and the airbags failed to deploy. The car has major damage to the underbody, front-end, the inside of the vehicle dash, the motor mounts, engine and other damages are unknown at this time.

- Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While slowing down, applying brakes to exit the highway into the cloverleaf off ramp, steering became very difficult and I was forced to continue in the current direction off the road into the grass. Upon stopping noticed dash lights were on and the vehicle had stalled. I was very lucky that I was headed into a grassy area and not into a wall as I couldn't steer in any other direction from when I lost power. Hyundai found no error codes and couldn't replicate the problem. Please see the following links for pages of similar experiences with Hyundai Santa Fe: 15 pages of related issues - www.Hyundai-forums.com/187-cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/133580-2011-santa-fe-stall-while-driving-13.html another -

- Edina , MN, USA

Feb 032013

Santa Fe

I was on a return trip of 5 hours or so each way which I took at about 30,000 miles on the odometer, and noticed a very pronounced drop in power and acceleration capability quite suddenly. It was as if some wiring or hose had come loose under the hood. A few months later, when the problem had not changed at all in over 3000 miles of day-to-day driving, including a daily stint (to work) of maybe 12 miles each way on the freeway which entails accelerating up the on-ramp into the flow of traffic, I still could feel the difference in acceleration and response time while accelerating. When I took the Santa Fe in for a normal oil change, I reported to the dealer these symptoms, and asked to have it checked out. They changed the oil, and checked out the computer readouts for the vehicle, and said there were no problems detected by the computer at that time, but when this type of behavior on the vehicle occurred, it was most often due to the fuel filter being all clogged up, although that still might not be the problem. They quoted me a price of $270 to change the fuel filter, and after I asked if there was any coupon discount for this service ever thru their dealership, the service manager gave me a coupon book for a flat rate off depending upon how much was being paid for. (it amounted to maybe $25 off this service.) they did not have time that day to change it out, so I decided to check out both whether there had been any complaints, service reports, or recalls about this fuel filter, and that is what led me here to make this complaint about both the cost of this replacement and the poor prognosis of it solving the acceleration problem. I am going to check with a repair place I feel confident in about their cost to do this replacement. Hopefully, it will be much less.

- Sunland, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Santa Fe

This incident occurred at night time. About 10 min from a cold start, I turned onto the 210 fwy. There was a 270 degree downhill turn (a steep curve) so I had the brakes on while doing 15 mph. Half way into the turn, I suddenly lost brake and steering wheel froze. With some effort, I managed to turn the steering and stop the car. The engine died without warning. Later I sent the car to dealership but they could not reproduce the event.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled numerous times without warning while driving at various speeds. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure where a diagnostic was performed twice but the dealer was unable to generate a failure code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 57,004.

- Mountainburg , AR, USA