2.0

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 192015

Santa Fe

Once the gas gage reaches 1/4 full, it goes to empty. After filling with gas, it will take over 1 hour to record a full tank. Cannot use the gage as we are never sure how much gas is in the tank. The engine light also appears and stays on until the gas sensor records full.

- Jay, NY, USA

Oct 202015

Santa Fe

Vehicle fuel system gauge inaccurate. After a fill up, the gas gauge would change from 3/4 full to empty, to 1/4 full, to 3/4 full to empty, regarldess of how much fuel was in the vehicle. Check engine light intermittently comes on and off. This is clearly the most common safety complaint on NHTSA, and other internet complaint pages related to safety issues with the Hyundai Santa Fe. Several model years appear to be heavily affected. Not knowing how much fuel the vehicle has is a major safety concern and could lead to accidents, injuries, and deaths. I'm having to pay for very expensive repairs because of this, and Hyundai refuses to accept responsibility, even though their service folks acknowledge they see this often. This should be a recall, and all those who have paid for this costly repair should be reimbursed.

- Niskayuna, NY, USA

Sep 172015

Santa Fe

My gas gauge showed a half tank one day then it showed empty then it showed empty/ the next day it would not start I new there was gas in it an hour later it started but after I was out it went back to empty. This problem needs to be fixed several people I meet in parking lots have the same problem. Are you waiting for someone to get in the rear when it shuts off and people get killed big law suits will happen iam sure it would cheaper to fix this then get sued. I see there are a lot complaints

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge does not work properly. No matter how much gas is in tank it usually registers empty, and occasionally it will randomly fluctuate up and down. Because of this issue the check engine light is always on. This happens while car is stationary or in motion. This is a known issue by Hyundai.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 102014

Santa Fe

The check engine light came on as I was filling up my vehicle. Once I filled it, I could not get it to start. Took two to three tries to get the vehicle to turn over. I had the battery checked and my battery is good. My fuel gauge sits at empty for the first 100 miles after filling up with the low fuel indicator light on. I have had the car checked and was told it was told I had a problem with the fuel sensor. I had one replaced for $250 in 2014. Car worked fine. Then after 500 miles, the same thing happened. When is Hyundai going to realize that they have a serious issue with this vehicle! I can't even get a fair trade in value for the vehicle due to the problem.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 252015

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge is not working and car is running out of gas even though indicator indicate there is gas. I had both fuel sensors replaced and the problem still continues. I have run out of gas multiple times and recently ran out of gas on an extremely dangerous stretch of 101. With two young children, this continues to be a major safety threat and concern for me. Based on some quick googling it's clear this is a major problem and security concern for other Santa Fe owners and it should be repaired or replaced under a recall.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Oct 032015

Santa Fe

Had about a half tank of gas and filled up before taking a road trip. Left station and noticed gauge did not move to full. Few miles down the road it started to slowly increase up to the fuel mark. After stopping again on down the road and restarting fuel gauge would show half tank then drop to empty and then back up to half tank. I have to keep getting gas and keep track of mileage so that I do not run out while on the interstate. From what I've read this is a very costly repair and is certainly a safety hazard as I travel a lot for work on the busy interstates and cannot chance running out of fuel

- Somerset, KY, USA

Sep 222015

Santa Fe

This has happened on 4 separate occasions, both while driving in town at slow speeds and on a highway at high speeds. The check engine light will come on and the car will cut off, no power at all. On each occasion I put the car in neutral and restarted the car immediately and it resumed it's normal driving capacity. It is very scary to be driving along and then all of a sudden the car cuts off for no reason. The last time it happened I was in the middle of a sharp curve, so not having power steering at that point was not very safe, as I ended up in the other lane but thank goodness there wasn't a car coming in the other direction at the time.

- Graham, NC, USA

Oct 012015

Santa Fe

This has happened multiple times over the past year and has increased in frequency the last 2 months. At random times, in town or on highway with varying speeds, the RPM will jump without me using any more pressure on the gas pedal, which causes the car to accelerate quickly and without warning. Then, the RPM will go back down in the same manner just as quickly.

- Graham, NC, USA

Sep 212015

Santa Fe

The light for my fuel tank came on saying empty, however I recalled just having put gas in the tank. A few days later the engine light began to come on. I took my car to autozone to test the engine light, I was told there was a problem with the fuel sensor. I later called Hyundai after constantly having to watch my gas and mileage to make sure the tank does not run empty. Hyundai advised it is possibly the fuel sending unit without even having to look at the car and advised it would cost about $800 to repair. The rep in the parts department stated they have had several calls regarding replacing the part. This could potentially be a serious issue, especially if you are driving on a busy road or highway. There seems to be several people having the same issue.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 272015

Santa Fe

Filled fuel tank and began driving on highway. As usual checked gages and noticed fuel gage at 1/4 full. Over time driving, needle on gage began to move up to point indicating approx. 3/4 full. Over balance of drive needle danced around the 3/4 full mark. I am reading numerous complaints from Hyundai owners of same problem over several model years. It appears Hyundai is denying a problem and has taken no steps to improve fuel level sensors and thus replacing with them with same is only band aide fix with potential of serious accident if vehicle does run out of gas on highway or crossing intersection. Vey poor position of company and when shopping for new car I will consider another manufacturer.

- Rogers, MN, USA

Sep 022015

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge sending unit is inoperative. Perusal of the internet shows it is a common problem with 2007-2013 Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles. The fix is $ 500. Hyundai usa and Hyundai worldwide H.Q. refuse to acknowledge that the problem exists or offer any repairs for the faulty unit or why indeed it failed. Try driving any distance without a gas gauge. The car is useless unless repaired. Manufacturers should either stand behind their vehicles or the public should be advised to look to a more reliable manufacturer for a better, safer and more reliable product.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Jul 142015

Santa Fe

Fuel float in gas tank stuck therefore no fuel gage reading.

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Jul 012015

Santa Fe

After filling the gas tank, the gas gauge read empty, along with the low-fuel warning light. After driving approximately 10 miles, the gauge then appeared to be functioning normally. The gauge continues to malfunction if the gas tank is filled. When the tank is below half full, the gauge will randomly read empty or half full. An internet search quickly revealed that many owners are experiencing this problem. I hope Hyundai will initiate a safety recall too correct the issue.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Aug 032015

Santa Fe

When the fuel gauge gets around half full, the gauge bounces around below the half full and empty. The check engine indicator light comes on and stays on. Cannot exactly determine how much fuel is left in tank. Had fuel sensing parts replaced at a cost of approximately $600 by a master ase certified technician. After repairs we filled the tank with fuel. Although tank was full it only registered 3/4 full with a range of 254 miles. Before this incident, the range was 320 - 324 miles. Returned to technician who alerted us that he has seen many similar problems with Hyundai and Kia. He believes Hyundai should recall and fix problems. This attested to by similar problems listed on your site safer car.gov. My wife and I are in our 70S and are concerned we will run out of gas on a remote highway or engine will stall in traffic.

- Avon, NJ, USA

Jun 012015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While having the vehicle inspected, the inspection technician notified the contact that the vehicle failed due to the fuel sensor gauge. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dsoto, TX, USA

Feb 202013

Santa Fe

I have taken this vehicle to the dealership 11 times in the last 2 1/2 years trying to fix an issue where I randomly cannot put fuel in the car. The nozzles click off as if the tank is full, usually after pumping a few gallons. The dealership says they have replaced every single piece of the fuel system, but it continues to have issues and they're not sure why. Sometimes it works fine; sometimes pumping gas slowly helps and I'm able to fill up; sometimes nothing I do works and I have to drive off and try again another day. The check engine light has only come on once, with the first repair attempt in 2013. Since then, there are no warning lights, just the inability to pump gas. I've tracked mileage to make sure it's not just an issue with the fuel gauge showing as being emptier than it really is. Unless this SUV is getting 60+ mpg, it's not the gauge. I generally start attempting to fill up when I get down to half a tank of gas, because I never know how much gas I'll be able to put into the vehicle at a time.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Santa Fe

We had a sudden loss of power while traveling on the interstate at 70 mph. Had to get over quickly as the traffic was heavy and the car had no power. The engine would not deliver any power, other than idle. Turned the car off and let it sit for about 15 seconds, then started the car and had power back for about 3 miles. Happened again and did the same for about ten miles until got home. Recently started to happen again, same codes come up each time. Took car to dealership and they told me that it was just glitches causing codes to come up and cause the ESC to go into safe mode. Since then I have seen the exact same codes and not a lot of codes, but codes that indicate an ignition/fuel/control module problem. This is not as bad as acceleration, but if pulling out in traffic or on an on ramp, could be deadly. Has now happened seven times. First date was April 2014, could not enter date in your form for some reason.

- Perry, OK, USA

Jan 302014

Santa Fe

Check engine light coming on. Had it checked out and it was the fuel level sensor. Gas gauge not working properly now. I checked and there has been many more reports for this type of problem. Company should fix this problem at little or no cost.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 282015

Santa Fe

Check engine light came on May 28 2015, dealer advised fuel sensor/pump issue, repaired it $$$$ June 5th same issue back at dealer, also will not start and fuel gauge acting up 33rd record of the same issue at ntsha for this 2009, over 100 for the cumulative years for the Santa Fe same issue

- Fort Washington, MD, USA