2009 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 052014

Santa Fe

The check engine light came on and fuel gauge went down to empty, even though I had a full tank. Took to my mechanic and he said the check engine code indicated "P0464 - fuel level sensor 'a' ckt intermittent" problem. He informed me of his price, but recommended I go to a Hyundai dealership first to see if covered under the 100K power train warranty. Took to local dealer on 11/10/14 and they said it wasn't covered or considered a recall, and it would cost over $800 to repair. My mechanic suggested I use a bottle or two of chevron techron fuel additive with my next fill up because it may clean the sending unit, as gasoline tends to coat the grid that contacts pass over causing the gage failure. A 20 oz and 12 oz bottle were added and shortly after, the check engine light went out and the fuel gage began to register properly again. This lasted about 2 months, but then the light came on again in January and gage went down when I started up the car one morning. I tried the same thing again with the techron, and it worked for about 1 month. The problem has occurred several more times lately but the gage problem is inconsistent. Sometimes everything seems good then if I happen to accelerate quickly, everything goes haywire again. I don't want to keep paying for bottles of techron on every other fill-up or use premium gas (which didn't work btw), and I also think this problem is common enough on 2007-2009 Santa Fe's on internet postings that its time for Hyundai to step up to fix this problem as a recall. Some think it's not important because it hasn't caused a crash, fire, or accident resulting in injury or death, but if someone ignores it and runs out of gas on a major highway, in a tunnel (I go through one 2X per day), or another dangerous spot, it very well could cause a major accident or death. Do the right thing Hyundai and issue a recall for this issue!!

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Mar 192015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Vehicle fuel gauge is erratic. With a full tank of fuel the gauge sometimes reads empty with the low fuel light on. Other times it may read as half or anywhere in between. Probably defective fuel sending unit.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

May 072014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel gauge failed to operate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 100,700.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 112015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

RPM jumped without driver increasing pedal pressure, causing sudden unintended acceleration. Dealership unable to identify issue. This is the second occurrence in the last couple months.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

Feb 132015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Filled up gas tank and a short time later gas gauge showed half tank. We paid particular attention to watching gauge and it randomly would go up and down. A few days later the check engine warning light came on. We went to our mechanic who checked for the reason for check engine light and the result was a code indicating that the fuel tank level sensor was working intermittently. This is a real problem as we're not sure at any time what the level of fuel is since it goes up and down. It is obvious in researching this problem that this is an ongoing issue. We love our Santa Fe but these types of issues will certainly weigh in on our car replacement decision.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Feb 142015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was parking my car in a space at a local store. The car took off. Sudden acceleration. Went forward probably a good 15 feet before I was able to stop. I also had to have both fuel tank sensors replaced. My gas gauge would not register properly. Fluctuated up and down at random moments. Cost me $364.51! seems to be a continuing problem.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 142015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Pulled into gas station with a hair under a 1/4 tank of gas, shut off engine and had the attendant fill the tank. After the fill was complete I started the car engine and the fuel gauge read "E" and the yellow light came on. I moved the car forward, backward and forward again and the gauge moved slightly off the "E". I drove home the gauge move to just under half. I turned the car off and when I started it this morning with the remote start the gauge read half a tank but when I put the key in and turned it the gauge went to "E" again and the yellow light was back. After about 10 minutes on my ride to work the gauge went to 1/4 tank and the light went off and so far today it has stayed there. By the looks of complaints on the internet it seems to be a problem Hyundai has.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I own a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, the check engine light came on with odbii code P0464, fuel level sender(sensor) unit malfunction "intermittent operation". I normally repair my own vehicles and have repaired cars for many years. The issue I have is that, only on rare occasions should these fuel tank parts go bad on a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it. I'm now seeing more and more complaints about these fuel tank issues, consider a recall for Hyundai vehicles.

- Wynantskill, NY, USA

Dec 032013

Santa Fe

Engine light came on and then fuel warning light came on even though I had a least 1/2 tank of gas. Filled up my gas tank, all lights were out. When I had approximately 1/2 tank again, the engine and fuel lights came on. I brought my car to my mechanic and was told the 2 fuel sensors need to be replaced at a cost of over $350. Upon online researching, I learned that there are many others who are experiencing the same problem. I feel that because this is happening to other Hyundai owners, it is a problem that Hyundai needs to repair at no cost to the owner of these vehicles. In my case, I need to be reimburse the cost of the repair.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Nov 112014

Santa Fe

Engine and fuel warning lights come on and off sporadically, and the gas gauge shows the tank is empty even after we filled it. This happens regardless of the amount of fuel in the gas tank, and it makes it impossible to know the actual amount of gasoline in the vehicle. We brought it to the dealer today and was told the 2 fuel sensors need to be replaced at a cost of $600. When we purchased the vehicle new we also purchased a maintenance program, but, of course, the fuel sensors are excluded from coverage. Upon doing online research we learned there are many others who are experiencing this same problem. We feel that because this has happened to other Hyundai owners it may be a problem that Hyundai needs to repair at no cost to the owners of these vehicles.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Nov 092014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Vehicle slowed without warning on freeway at freeway speed, then would not accelerate. Went to idle mode. Before slowdown, had mild surging at speed. Problem was diagnosed at tps or throttle position sensor. Problem with same sensor reported to Hyundai dealership previous, diagnosed as loose connection reported from periodic surging while driving. After recent problem with alternator, which required replacement of part, within one week, tps partially failed. Failure was not diagnosed as Kia dealership (sister company to Hyundai) when underwent first repair. Failure required Hyundai dealership to be told exact problem, whereby they confirmed diagnosis. Part required replacement with software updates. Part problem leading to failure should have been able to be diagnosed under first round of testing, and under first repair a week prior. Parts unpredictable failure is believed to present a significant risk while vehicle is operating.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 052014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Low fuel indicator light comes on and gas gauge reads empty after recent fill up, then it slowly rises to full, indicator light then goes out and check engine light comes on, about 20 miles later check engine light goes out and gas gauge responds correctly. This has happened several times, currently check engine light is off.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 022014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Fuel light was on. Filled gas tank. Fuel light remained on and fuel gage did not rise to full. Check engine light came on. After driving 20+ miles the fuel gage rose but drops rapidly. The fuel light will go on and the check engine light goes on and off. Hyundai dealer says they know it is an issue but no recall has been issued. The danger arises if I fail to reset the mileage and should run out of gas without warning.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Jun 012014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The fuel indicator on our Santa Fe is only accurate for the first 1/4 of a tank, after that it indicates the tank is empty and the "check engine" light appears. We have to keep track of our mileage in order to know when we are low on fuel. Very annoying to have to do this. What if the "check engine" light is on for another reason" how will we know" this is an on-going problem with Hyundai, who has not addressed the issue, and it will cost $300-$700 to repair! we are thinking of selling our Santa Fe but we know we can't sell it with a "check engine" light on! Hyundai should own up to this problem and recall their vehicles. We have owned 5 Hyundai's in the past 15 years and this will make us reconsider ever buying another.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 162014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe experiencing wild fuel gage spikes, reads E when tank is full, then reads 1/2 full and is all over the map.. Hyundai is aware of the problem but has not indicated a recall.. this item should be places on recall as it is a hazard, to the driver, occupants and others on the road. Gauge could read full when it's actually empty resulting in traffic accidents.. this issue also results in a check engine light trigger, causing failures at inspection.

- Blairstown, NJ, USA

Jun 192014

Santa Fe

I'm experiencing a problem with the fuel sensor failing. The fuel gauge shows empty and then slowly rises to indicate I have fuel. Sometimes the fuel indicator light comes on after I've just filled up and stays on for a day or so. I called my dealer and they told me this is a common problem. They said at this time there's no recall out for this repair, but agreed that there should be. This can become a safety issue and could cause serious injuries to the driver as well as other vehicles on the road. I feel that Hyundai should step up and that care of this faulty part.

- Versailles, KY, USA

Mar 252014

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was showing an empty reading when the fuel tank was half full. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the fuel sensors were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,800 and the current mileage was 96,215.

- Hurley, NM, USA

Feb 032013

Santa Fe

I was on a return trip of 5 hours or so each way which I took at about 30,000 miles on the odometer, and noticed a very pronounced drop in power and acceleration capability quite suddenly. It was as if some wiring or hose had come loose under the hood. A few months later, when the problem had not changed at all in over 3000 miles of day-to-day driving, including a daily stint (to work) of maybe 12 miles each way on the freeway which entails accelerating up the on-ramp into the flow of traffic, I still could feel the difference in acceleration and response time while accelerating. When I took the Santa Fe in for a normal oil change, I reported to the dealer these symptoms, and asked to have it checked out. They changed the oil, and checked out the computer readouts for the vehicle, and said there were no problems detected by the computer at that time, but when this type of behavior on the vehicle occurred, it was most often due to the fuel filter being all clogged up, although that still might not be the problem. They quoted me a price of $270 to change the fuel filter, and after I asked if there was any coupon discount for this service ever thru their dealership, the service manager gave me a coupon book for a flat rate off depending upon how much was being paid for. (it amounted to maybe $25 off this service.) they did not have time that day to change it out, so I decided to check out both whether there had been any complaints, service reports, or recalls about this fuel filter, and that is what led me here to make this complaint about both the cost of this replacement and the poor prognosis of it solving the acceleration problem. I am going to check with a repair place I feel confident in about their cost to do this replacement. Hopefully, it will be much less.

- Sunland, CA, USA