CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe apparently has a problem with the engine stalling while driving.

In a 2-page letter to Santa Fe owners from August 2014, Hyundai claims the engine stalling only occurs under a "specific set of operating conditions".

However a class action lawsuit filed around the same time details multiple claims from Sante Fe owners that claim the engine stalling happens at any time, under any conditions.

Although the model year range in the lawsuit is 2010-2012, the stalling complaint trend hasn't shown up in our data for the 2010 model year. Both the 2011 & 2012 Santa Fe model years DO show a significant defect trend of the engine stalling.

Currently we're not rating the 2010 Santa Fe as "bad" or "poor". Just be aware of this potentially serious problem.

1.6

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Dec 112016

Santa Fe

While driving one morning, suddenly the passenger door just opened on its own. We could not get it to latch at all. I had to ride holding the door closed until we could get home to get bungee cords to hold it closed. This happened on a busy city street just going straight. And again when we turned, but we anticipated it and held the door shut. So L took it to the dealer the next morning (Monday), and they said it was a door actuator and latch assembly. No vehicle should ever have a door that cannot latch! this is a terrifying incident. When they had to order the part, I told them to fix the door where it would not open when driving to and from work the next day. Didn't work. Going down the interstate with the door flopping back and forth--enough to allow fumes inside the vehicle and the dome light to remain on is not safe!!! after exiting the interstate during rush hour traffic, I grabbed the bungee cord that was inside and held the door closed while I drove the rest of the way home about 35 mph. I will have three more trips on this interstate-home tonight, to and from the dealer/work tomorrow, and hopefully it will be repaired. They say two other doors also need actuators. (to the tune of $400 each!) this should never happen on a modern day car.

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 092016

Santa Fe

I bought this car with 40K miles on it and it now has 63K miles. Since I have had it, I have replaced the radio display, speaker, driver side window controls, starter and a recall on the airbags. The clear coat is also coming off all the door handles and it is fading the paint. I notified Hyundai and they did not address any issue.

- King George, VA, USA

Aug 252011

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. The vehicle was serviced under a manufacturers recall where the dealer replaced the automatic transaxle oil cooler hoses and the clamps but the failure recurred. The contact stated that while making a turn, an abnormal thumping noise was heard. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the spring protector and the elastic sealant needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 196,390.

- Mogadore, OH, USA