CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe apparently has a problem with the engine stalling while driving.

In a 2-page letter to Santa Fe owners from August 2014, Hyundai claims the engine stalling only occurs under a "specific set of operating conditions".

However a class action lawsuit filed around the same time details multiple claims from Sante Fe owners that claim the engine stalling happens at any time, under any conditions.

Although the model year range in the lawsuit is 2010-2012, the stalling complaint trend hasn't shown up in our data for the 2010 model year. Both the 2011 & 2012 Santa Fe model years DO show a significant defect trend of the engine stalling.

Currently we're not rating the 2010 Santa Fe as "bad" or "poor". Just be aware of this potentially serious problem.

2.8

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Sep 042016

Santa Fe

Pearl white paint flaking off. Originally thought this was caused by rock chips, however it is extremely apparent that the paint is simply flaking off. Most flaking is quite small at the moment, however today noticed a larger area over the windshield. No accidents.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 022013

Santa Fe

My 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe white pearl paint started peeling 3 years ago and has accelerated rapidly in the past few months. I have 2 large spots on the hood getting bigger every day, lifting on the door handles several spots on the side panels and now a very large patch over the windshield. This is a known issue with tons of owners sharing similar stories all over the internet. Please advise of any options available to join a class action suit or get Hyundai to step up and repair this mess!

- Ocala, FL, USA

May 042015

Paint is peeling on the left hood and roof of 2010 santa

- Portales, NM, USA

Jun 082015

Santa Fe

Paint is peeling on the left hood and roof of car near window. There has been no physical damage to cause peeling and flaking of paint

- Portales , NM, USA

Jun 262015

Santa Fe

I was driving my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, the blinker switch started frantically clicking, I than heard electrical sparks from the steering column and than smoke starting coming from the steering column where the blinker shaft was located. Hyundai has had my vehicle for 2 weeks, leaving me and my 8 month old carless. The dealership and cooperate has said that they have never heard of this happening before, and has not given me a courtesy call or vehicle updates. I looked on this website, safecar.org and indeed, I found someone who has encountered the same issue (please see NHTSA id number 10629458). I feel that this is a major safety concern and needs to be recalled immediately with the other recalls in place.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 072015

Santa Fe 4-cyl

The vehicle has a humming sound coming from right side passenger side when driven 10 mph in cold weather. The vehicle was taken to Hyundai and because it could not be reproduced there was no further investigation. I was told if it happens again, to bring the vehicle in. I have an appointment on 3/21/15.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Jul 032011

Santa Fe

I have a 2010 Santa Fe with 19K miles.....twice this week I was driving and suddenly the gas pedal stopped working and engine light came on. Brakes worked, thank goodness. Anyone else have "sudden unintended deceleration"?? after the first event, I had it towed to the dealer (following protocol in the manual). They reported a new recall (it had been serviced a few months ago), executed a computer update and all was fixed (or so I thought). 4 days later, with less than 100 miles driven since the repair, it happened again. This time I was in 35mph traffic so when the accelerator pedal no longer worked, I almost was rear-ended. I was able to coast out of traffic (brakes and steering fine)to a side street. I was able to coast home (.5 mile or so). Car would accelerate after stop signs, although the gas pedal doesn't respond at all. Very scary that it even shifted to a higher gear and would go 30mph and keep accelerating if I didn't brake! the first repair info: 1. spring protector install (tsb#11-01-021); cause: Camp 2.TC7 cm ECM update P0111 10-01-034; cause: Camp

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 082010

Santa Fe

On Tuesday, June 8, 2010 I was on a busy interstate highway with fast moving traffic and my car lost all power while traveling at 70 mph. Fortunately, I was able to barely glide the sante fe to the shoulder and stop without incident. Follow up: 3 pm visited Hyundai service center and was told that it was not a throttle problem. They are in contact with ca service to determine cause of problem. Friday, 6-11-10 after complete testing of all circuits, Hyundai declares no source of problem. Auto was picked up at 4:30 pm Hyundai assistant service manager: Bob wood Hyundai case # 3982284 the specifics are: "SUV was purchased 8/09 and currently has 5200 miles. ?cruise control was on but not engaged. ?gas tank indicator on one-half. "with my foot on gas pedal the initial instinct was that the engine had lost all power. Opressing harder on gas pedal had no reaction. Othere was an opening in traffic and with the SUV forward inertia I was able to just reach the road shoulder. Oobserved that red indicators were on (battery, oil) ?reset transmission selector to park, turned off key. Ofirst restart-nothing happened osecond restart SUV started and I did not turn off until reaching home. Obviously, this is a serious life threatening situation that needs to be researched thoroughly and corrected.

- Sarasota, FL, USA