2011 Hyundai Santa Fe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Mar 062013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that the brake pedal exhibited an abnormal spongy feeling when depressed. Additionally, there was a reduction in braking power without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear calipers needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V613000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Seaside Heights , NJ, USA

Nov 112013

Santa Fe

I was driving my Hyundai 2011 sante fe at about 30 mph on a city road. Suddenly, I felt that I was cut off, there was no control on brake or the steering wheel (both were too hard to operate). So, all I could do was to drive straight, and I was literally crossing some busy streets (luckily, there were no cars when I was crossing these streets) on red signals, with my blinkers on. Luckily, my co-passenger kept cool and suggested if I could operate my parking brake, and I tried this, and my car slowly came to a complete stop. At this moment, I put my car on park, turned off the engine. When I turned it back on, I drove back to a safe place (in a mile), called road side assistance and got it towed to the nearest Hyundai dealer. The dealer found no major breakdown (!!!) or any inactive log on the car computer (!!!), only replaced a brake light (which was under recall for a couple of months) and declared the car to be 'safe to drive'. it is still very scary to drive the car (it has been about a week now after this incident), but not sure if Hyundai will have an answer to this.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Mar 132013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that while entering a parking area at 10 mph, the brake failed to engage as the brake warning light failed to illuminate. The contact attempted to avoid a crash however, crashed into an ice embankment. The contact sustained injuries to both hands. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was not filed. The contact also stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) letter was received after the crash. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 25,000.

- Emhurst , IL, USA

Apr 152013

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that on seven occasions, the gear shifter would not move out of drive into reverse or neutral until after several attempts. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was included in the recall however, the failure the contact experienced was not mentioned in the recall. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Apr 112013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 limited traveling at a speed of approximately 15 mph, in the process of making a left hand turn the engine experienced a stall condition. Immediately lost the ability to safely control the vehicle, complete loss of the braking system and power steering. Engine light was illuminated. Once the vehicle had coasted to a stop, shifted the vehicle from the drive position to the park position. Turned the ignition to the off position. Immediately turned the ignition to the start position and engine restarted. Engine light indicator in dash panel was no longer illuminated. Took vehicle to dealership to have them locate the root cause. Dealership was unable to determine the root cause. Filed an incident report with Hyundai usa.

- Lebanon, NH, USA

Oct 302012

Santa Fe 6-cyl

This has happened at last monthly since purchase in August 2011. When attempting to stop placement of accelerator and brake pedals causes my foot to press both pedals at same time. Yesterday when I attempted to stop at a "T" intersection the front end entered the intersection as another vehicle was approaching. Quick action by the other driver avoided a collision. My brother said he had same problem (foot on both pedals at same time) when test driving his wife's Santa Fe.

- Bourne, MA, USA