Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe has a problem with the engine stalling while driving. Both our data & the NHTSA's complaint data show a significant defect trend at low mileage.

In a 2-page letter sent August 2014 to Santa Fe owners, Hyundai claims the engine stalling only occurs under a "specific set of operating conditions".

However a class action lawsuit filed around the same time details multiple claims from Sante Fe owners that claim the engine stalling happens at any time, under any conditions.

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Oct 082015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated that after depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle experienced a period of unintended acceleration. As a result, the contact crashed into a brick wall. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The contact sustained burns from the air bag and a neck injury which required medical attention. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 01/12/16

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 112014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. When starting the vehicle, the air bag warning light flickered and remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the wiring was reconnected, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,500. MA 10/15/2015 the consumer stated the passenger seat belt assembly was replaced. Updated 01/05/16.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 042013

Santa Fe

Brought car in for service about problems with cruise control, airbag on passenger side, bad smudge mark on windshield on passenger side which dealer could not fix after several tries but never wrote up a service order. When car is set at 50mph and we are coming to a left turn I turn on left turn signal car lurches forward at very high claims because on incline, but I do it without turn signal does not speed up. Airbag passenger side intermittent dealer claims cannot find problem. Also white powder shows up on dashboard above glove compartment, we wipe it off comes back possiblyleak in airbag passenger side dealer claims not possible. Thought dealer should have fixed windshield under 5 yr warranty? also noticed 2014 Hyundai sport they scanned me into buying has problem with airbag passenger side off light stays on.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Aug 262012

Santa Fe 4-cyl

First of all I know our 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe is not made in usa, it is a Korean 2.4 L, 7 seater bought in panama. I wrote to the Hyundai complaint website and they very politely answered that the car was a non-us model and they sent me a link to a website where I could file the complaint. I did it but I have not received an answer, yet. My first problem after the crash was the unavailability of parts for repairing the car. I filed a complaint with our local consumer authority here in panama. Our car was in the shop for more than 9 months, its running now but still some parts missing. The issue is that after getting the car back from the shop I received a call from our local Hyundai dealer (petroautos) telling me about the campaign of the faulty brake switch (just as in the us models) and that I had to take the car to the dealer. So I looked up in internet and I find several recalls related to the brakes. I took the car to the dealer and they changed the switch. So IM wondering if this was related to the crash because I always had my doubts of what happened when I braked that day. Finally there was a crash and although I know this may only be for your information or files, and that you can't help me; please take this into account for your evaluations. Thanks.

- Panama, AA, USA