2013 Hyundai Santa Fe miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Oct 232015

Santa Fe

Going on side street at 25mph when car suddenly lost control then hit a car tire on the right of the vehicle but then rolled over on its head. Side air bags deployed but not drive air bag. This car has to be unstable to hit another car on the side (see pics) and overturn. Besides, there are already recalls on some Santa Fe sport for cracked axles and bad tires......updated 12/03/15

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Oct 232015

Santa Fe

I was driving West on U.S. hwy 80 at about 30 mph, after pulling out of a parking lot about 1 block before I lost control of my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, at an intersection. It made a sharp right turn without my help at all. After hitting another vehicle and then jumping a large curb, I came to stop about 18" from a small tree. I was completely traumatized. The right front wheel had a blow out from the outside side wall of the tire. The mechanic said it looked slashed. The big question is, did the blow out occur at the time my vehicle made the sharp right turn at the intersection, or did it occur when it hit the curb? I don't know, but I feel something happened to cause that sharp right turn in the first place. I had the mechanic check out the right front wheel area (axle, etc). They said they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicles parts, that wasn't caused by the accident. This makes me more convinced it has to be the tire. This is the second tire that has blown out on the outside wall of the tire since I purchased this vehicle in 2013. The other blow out was from a nail going through the outside wall. I only have 11,045 miles on this vehicle. Tires are a kumho, crugen, P235/55R19, 101H sl BSW oe (information copied from a discount tire receipt when the first blow out was replaced 5-22-15). I am afraid to get back in this vehicle because I don't know what caused complete loss of control. I will trade it in on a different vehicle. I'm afraid of Hyundai's and kumho tires!

- Longview, TX, USA

Aug 022015

Santa Fe

I was heading home around 9 pm last night and only a few blocks from home when I heard a loud "pop" that sounded like a gun shot. I looked around and didn't see anything out of the ordinary but a few seconds later I started to hear tiny pieces of glass falling down on my sunshade under the panoramic sunroof on my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe sport. When I got home, I saw that the front half of my sunroof had spontaneously exploded. Luckily, the sunroof and shade were closed when it happened, and I wasn't hurt, but it scared me to think it could have happened when the roof was open or while driving on the freeway! when I took my car into the dealership today, they said the roof had not been recalled and it was not covered under warranty. I had to open a claim with my insurance to start the repair. This is a huge defect and safety issue and Hyundai needs to take responsibility for the problem and cover the cost of repairs and my rental car. Ordering the parts and having them shipped from overseas and the repairs are estimated to take at least a week, if not two. Simple research on the internet has lead me to many other complaints of exploding sunroofs on Hyundai's and other vehicles manufactured at the same plants such as Kia and Ford, as well as numerous photos of vehicles with identical damage. Hyundai has acknowledged the problem, yet my local Hyundai dealership will not recognize it as a recall.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 242014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

You have to constantly fight the steering to keep the car from swaying to the left or right.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Mar 072013

Santa Fe 4-cyl

I just got off the highway and coming into town approaching a four way stop. I stopped and when I started to go the car made a horrible loud noise and would not go forward. I made it half way through the intersection and it completely died. The car wouldn't go forward or backward. I called roadside assistance and they picked up my car and took it to the dealer ship and the dealership called me the next day and told me I had a broken axle that they would have to replace. I bought the 2013 Santa Fe in September and this happened on March 2013 only about 6 months old.

- Clinton, IA, USA